back to article Inside Apple

While Walter Isaacson’s biography of Steve Jobs was notable for the contribution, by way of hours of interviews, of the man himself, it could hardly be described as revelatory. The darker side of the way Apple was run by Jobs, for example, was glossed over. By contrast, Adam Lashinsky’s Inside Apple aims to get under the skin of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Inside Apple R&D

Dozens of computers just running a browser while staff scour the internet for interesting rumours about tech that competitors are currently developing which is then handed to a patent lawer to claim it as Apples

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Inside Apple R&D

Sounds like a scary fairy story but with little basis and less fact than the Humpty Dumpty nursery rhyme which incidentally was about a large canon.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Trollface

Re: Inside Apple R&D

>>>>Dozens of computers just running a browser while staff scour the internet for interesting rumours about tech that competitors are currently developing which is then handed to a patent lawer to claim it as Apples>>>>>>

I think you've got that wrong. Close, but not quite there. From the development of the iPad, we can see that what actually happens is staff scour the internet for rumours about what Apple are doing, and then produce that...

It's the reason they're so secretive about future developments They've crowdsourced their R&D, and don't want to bias the results.

2. Jeebus

So there are still no genuine accounts, shame really, be nice to see what really goes on now that Jobs is dead and people are [should be] free of his climate of fear and impulsiveness.

1. jai

If there's not been any genuine accounts then how do you know there was (and perhaps still is) a "climate of fear and impulsiveness" ?

You're basing that assumption on rumours and previous accounts, which you've just branded as not being genuine.

1. Aaron Em

Well spotted

I've found Hertzfeld's account (folklore.org) to be plausible, at least, though I wouldn't know how to evaluate it for factual accuracy -- there probably isn't a way.

1. deadlockvictim

Re: Well spotted

Andy Hertzfeld et al. worked at Apple in the early 1980s. Methinks that Apple corporate culture changed drastrically in late 1990s.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I actually work with a guy who was mid level management at Apple for almost 10 years am dying to quiz him on some of the inside buzz but just havent found the opportunity.

Will be interesting to see if the secrecy cult holds now he has left.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Climate of Fear and Impulsiveness?

Spot on.

The missus works there: it's evil.

The good news is that, if you judge the top management by their deeds rather than their words, it's headed straight for the crapper: they had to bribe them over a billion dollars to stay for the 2 years following Job's death. Tim Cook had to be paid $300 million to stay.

Not what you'd call a vote of confidence ..

5. John 62

Accidental Empires

Has much changed since Robert X Cringely's* seminal Accidental Empires?

* Not sure which of the Robert X Cringelys wrote it, but that's the name on my copy.

6. Screech Owl
    Linux

genius

Steve Jobs is not a genius any more under the pen of Walter Isaacson. Yet we still miss him.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like