back to article Unknown fault darkens Australia’s Internet

Customers of major Australian ISPs are stranded with no connection to the outside world this afternoon, taken out of action by an as-yet-undiagnosed routing fault. As is typical of a country in which too many services are dependent on too few international links, The Register can directly confirm that the outage affected …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LaeMing
    Happy

AARnet was a bit flakey early arvo too.

Always hard to tell if that is external of the dodgy internal proxy wall at my workplace, though.

Personally, I blame my mum. She was getting her first-ever internet connection on today. All her fault.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting Optus results

I wonder where Optus/Singtel content is stored.

If they do run their Australian operation from overseas it's no wonder there were no fault reports, nobody could reach them to complain.

That will do wonders for the quality of service record.

3. Esskay
    Thumb Up

Everything fine here

Posting from work, everything has been fine here - been able to access el reg without a hitch. (work isp is AAPT though, im not sure whose lines they rent but I would assume telstras...)

4. LaeMing
    Boffin

Exetel reports the fault as fixed now.

5. Winkypop Silver badge
    Coat

I'd report in too

But we have no Internet....

6. Nick Stallman
    FAIL

Not a international cable

Its not a international cable - it definitely was internal. Connectivity from some of our servers in Sydney to Telstra was lost and our DC attributed it to Telstra's end.

7. Makazaru

Looks quite like Telstra accepted a full routing table from Dodo, causing all sorts of wonderful issues.

Perhaps some careers are going to go the way of the dodo there! </badpun>

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Things that make me go "Hmmmmmmm!"

One could be forgiven for wondering why Big Mother Telstra's Internet connectivity to the outside world was 100% dependent on a router at the minor bit-player Dodo.

We all know about "cost cutting", but that's just plain ridiculous!

9. Tony Paulazzo
    Happy

GAF?

No reason to panic, we're just testing the 'Great Australian Firewall', expect a few SNAFU's along the way.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like