back to article Brit sat biz Inmarsat owed $56m by ailing LightSquared

Failed cellular disrupter LightSquared owes $56.25m (£35.46m) to UK operation Inmarsat for 10MHz of radio spectrum that the FCC won't let LS use. LightSquared's box-o-frogs plan was to use its satellite spectrum for a ground-based mobile broadband network, but when it started knocking out local GPS gear it was forced to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mage Silver badge
    Coat

Rabbits from the Hat?

Shirley they have a spare frog in their box?

I really can't see it. That's not light (squared) at the end of the Tunnel but an oncoming train wreck.

Why would the Military swap them any spectrum, what band would it be, would FCC agree and who would it impact?

Spectrum planning isn't like swapping parking spaces.

Mine's the one with box of dried frog pill in the pocket. Not for me of course. But for any crazy customers.

1. Charles Manning

Re: Rabbits from the Hat?

"Spectrum planning isn't like swapping parking spaces." Well actually it is.

If you have a regular size car (high bandwidth need) and there are only sub-compact spaces (narrow bands) open then you're going to be driving around for ages searching.

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: Re: Rabbits from the Hat?

What if you driving an Articulated Truck and the next slot is for bicycles or Mother & Babies?

I think you missed why Light squared can't stick several thousand 20W masts talking to 0.5W handsets next door to receivers listening for picowatts.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Rabbits from the Hat?

So the military can disrupt the GPS system of any invading army you silly boy!!!!

2. Charles Manning

Crap contract

Bullshit like this is not solved by airing the laundry in Reg or Facebook and up/down voting.

Even mildly competent lawyers would know to specify in the contract how to resolve issues like this and have clauses spelling out whether the agreement is binding regardless of uptake or the conditions under which the agreement can be undone.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Crap contract

So the fact that they have gone "out of band" suggests very strongly that they are doing it for other reasons. Part of that will be to flag to their investors that there will be "a extraordinary charge" on the books this year for funds not received. (Assuming they previously listed it as a receivable.)

The other part may be an attempt to publicly ratchet up the pressure on LightSquared and ensure that they can't get more funding. Would you give invest money in LightSquared knowing that the money will immediately go to Inmarsat?

3. Mark 65

"But it's hard to see what would motivate LightSquared to pay up when the FCC won't let them deploy a ground-based network in the band."

Contractual obligation?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like