back to article UK mobile networks start to phase out Sony Ericsson handsets

British mobile networks have been quietly dropping Sony Ericsson handsets, a sign that the brand is en route to a swift exit from the market. The buyout and forthcoming rebrand as Sony could rekindle demand for the phones, but in the meantime, the Sony phones made during its marriage with Swedish company Ericsson are off the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dutch network KPN also appear to be having a clear out.

They are currently offering the Xperia Ray for 80 EUR, and the Arc S for 130 EUR. I got the Ray a couple of weeks ago, and it is a fantastic little phone.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dutch network KPN also appear to be having a clear out.

Arc S for 30Euros?

That's a stonking deal. it's a £350 phone.. (and a 90% el-reg rating, from what I recall).

I have one, and it's a superb phone, even better because Sony will unlock the bootloader for you is you wish.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: Dutch network KPN also appear to be having a clear out.

The Arc S is 130 EUR, which is still a good deal. I initially thought the prices were an error, but they've been at those prices for 2-3 weeks now. :-)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I thought

They'd stopped making phones like Nokia....

Your kidding me, do they really make phones?

They do?

Wow.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I phased one out recently

straight into the wheelie bin, the useless pos.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Paul Shirley

Sony brand less appealing than SE

They've all been discounting SE Xperias heavily just to shift stock and the 'sale' started before the split was announced. The 2011 Xperias are nice enough phones but distinctly midrange hardware at above midrange prices was a hard sell, especially after the 2010 Xperias damaged the brand.

It's a fair bet Sony will fail to notice their brand has only niche value in the mobile market and try to hike prices even further. Sad, just as they were getting Android right they hand the whole business to the rich but clueless side.

Seems like a smart business choice to drop SE immediately. Going to be some good sale bargains coming up ;)

5. Piro Silver badge

Shame, really

I think the latest SE offerings are pretty great.

The Sony Xperia Pro is just about the only recent Android handset with a keyboard that you can easily recommend.

1. Paul 135

Re: Shame, really

Indeed, and this shows exactly how clueless the UK networks are. The Xperia Pro was the best phone of 2011 IMO and at a reasonable price to boot (and there still is no keyboard phone to beat it), yet few people have heard of it as none of the UK network operators chose to stock it, instead choosing to stock the models which stood out less. What do the network operators expect if they make totally clueless decisions such as this?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

got one just the other day

This explains why the Xperia Ray on Pay As You Go was £219 in the Virgin Media store.

Had been looking for something small for the belt clip for a long time to replace ancient Nokie s60 phone.

So I might have waited for the price to drop even more... but they'd be gone very likely.

Mind you, after struggling with the Xperia's weak podcast handling ability I am realising just how good the old Nokia was.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like