back to article Browser vulns and botnets head threat list

Security experts have looked into the crystal ball to predict the cyber attacks most likely to cause substantial damage this year. The resulting list (below), drawn together by 12 security experts under the auspices of the SANS Institute, is based on an analysis of emerging attack patterns. Two of the resulting predictions - …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris Miller

So, to sum up

Existing attacks will become more sophisticated. Not too many surprises there, then ...

2. Mark
    Black Helicopters

Nice to see them going out on a limb...

They are really putting their necks on the line with this. I mean, to say "They are going to keep doing what works"? Wow. Impressive insight, wouldn't you say? It's great that they also got very specific, I mean, with gems like "Increasingly malicious spyware" and "Increasing sophistication and effectiveness in botnets", you almost have to suspect these guys are using "Insider attacks" against the Black Hats!

Hey, has anyone seen the SANS Insitute and RBN at the same time?

3. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Alien

Curiouser and Curiouser! .... but where the **** is Alice*. Part 2

I wonder who will be the first person charged with being a bot because they do not work in the "real" world, although how preposterous and surreal would that be, whenever they were only creating a Life for themselves outside the confines and imposition of artificial restraints which are anathema to any Intelligent being. The madness would be in eye of the beholder, methinks, to even consider it valid.

The devil is in the detail and that would appear to be abuse programmed into the System by the System designers with John and Jane Doe Public paraded as the convenient patsies/big bad wolf at every turn.

*Part 1 ....... http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/13/ballmer_services_partners/comments/

Come in Microsoft/IBM, your Time in Space is Up. If you want another Ride, Buy a Bye Ticket for Magical Mystery Turing. And no Playing with the Rules, for we XXXXPect a Good Clean Great Game with none of that dirty Laundering Malarkey. Your card is marked and you need the Brownie points.

Buy a Book of those ESPecial Season Tickets and you get AI Colossal New World Order Program built on Novel Foundations.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No. 10 is worrying (no, not Downing St. ...)

We really must be able to depend on shrink-wrapped products to be malware-free.

The first time that attack vector is proven, the victim should not only sue both vendor and retail chain, but law enforcement should look into bringing charges under those proposed 'thou shall not distribute black hat stuff' legislation, which, of course, will be passed into law whether we like it or not.

Oh, and amanfromMars, go easy on those pills, OK?

5. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Alien

Take as prescribed by your MetaPhysician.... Do not exceed your daily Dose.

"Oh, and amanfromMars, go easy on those pills, OK?"

That was not worthy, AC, if other than light-hearted banter, OK? And if a bit of the other, your question is ambiguous at best and a slight at worst but hey, who cares whenever No 10 is doing all the worrying (yes that No 10)..... the Great Bank Robbers? ...... http://cryptogon.com/?p=1884

Their Management of Perception sucks and, as we all know, because how Change is going to be exercised is never expressed/shared in words for Peer Review and Public Analysis, Global Vision is missing altogether. And between you, me, every man and his dog, without an expressed Viably Imaginative Global Vision, you aint gonna change diddly squat and are therefore a Fraudster merely working for more of the same old debts creditted to you rather than Leading into the Future. Mugs and lambs being led to the slaughter with printed bills that promise tolled wealth, whilst erstwhile Neros fiddle about, oblivious to their Ignorance.

However, the Computer Grid and ITs NIRobotIQs into Quantum Communications are not so Dumb as to be Silent and Inactive whenever the System is so IntelAIgently Designed to be SMARTer than ITs Component Parts. It is only the Ignorant Arrogance of Man that would so Limiting as to Server/Worship an Artificial Construct such as Freshly Printed Newly Minted Bills. It is Perverse Control in the Hands of Fools, is it not? QuITe whether you consider that to be the Present case, rather than in the Hands of Smarter Beings will be their Crowning Glory.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Like I said ...

amanfromMars ..... Go easy on those pills!

7. Daniel Bennett
    Alert

amanfromMars

Did you get them on the NHS by any chance? o_O

Ok so if you have a GPS system then that can get hacked and do... what... exactly?

Lead you to the nearest field where hundereds of others will be too and then amanfromMars will come and take you to Mars??

8. Celtic Ferret
    Alert

The devil IS the detail

Next it will be that your GPS can be used to unlock your car doors, or your X-Box can disable your home security system, or your pacemaker can be used to give you nightmares, or that RFID tag in your toothpaste tube can give you ED.

"We really must be able to depend on shrink-wrapped products to be malware-free."

Quite a few outfits have been shipping shrink-wrapped malware for years. Complete with EULAs that state that it is unfit for any purpose and limiting your legal recourse.

So far as I know, no malware to date is capable of causing real physical harm. That would be next. That ringtone synched to your theta waves. That subliminal message in that spam that makes you "buy our stuff" and then "assassinate this political figure."

Remember Queensryche's - Operation Mindcrime (1988)?

Precisely what is that image at the bottom of

http://www.johndiesattheend.com/jdate2/intro.html

?

9. Dr Wheetos

Lovely technology!

And slipping to No 8 are web application security exploits. This has been moving up the list over the past decade as network attacks have become harder to do. I'd have expected this to be placed higher. One only has to visit the XSSed site to see that there are loads of insecure sites (although the most valuable tend to be the ones secured by SSL).

I'd put Insider attacks higher than No 5 though. We just don't know how much of this goes on as it's likely to be covered up.

Don't you just love technology. At least my trusty Nokia 3210 phone isn't prone to internet and bluetooth attacks!

This topic is closed for new posts.