back to article 5,000 Virgin Media workers unchained to slog away remotely

Thousands of Virgin Media employees will soon be able to work from their beds a variety of locations after the telco asked network kit biz Cisco to deploy its Quad, WebEx and Unified Comms products. The tech sets free office-based folk so they can work remotely and on-the-go with video calls and shared documents, said Cisco. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

international workers !

lets hope this doesnt extend to customer help lines otherwise when I got some numpty on the phone from one of their call centres in india that I can hardly understand due to their accent, the situation will be made worse by the background noise of their family, which I also wont be able to understand !

2. Jop
    Mushroom

Finally....

....VM staff will see first hand how 'overutilisation' on their UBR stops them from doing simple thing like video streaming, due to lost packets and other such problems customers often have for 6 months before being fixed.

3. Lloyd
    Facepalm

Good on Virgin Media

Now, if they could just get my Phone and Broadband working at the same time for a period of 5 days or more then I'll consider it real progress, Quite how it goes from 14 months of stability to the game of roulette it's been for the past month is beyond me.

4. HMB

Balance

I know that if you have connection problems that it's immensely frustrating, but after the hell I went through attempting to get BT Infinity (and failing after they said I could get it), Virgin Media have provided a fast and reliable connection.

I have noticed occasional streaming dropouts from iPlayer in HD mode on my 50 Mb service, but if I speedtest at the same time I've got loads of bandwidth there.

It's a crapload better than the flaky limited rubbish my parents have to pay plus.net who pay BT wholesale for.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

VM Practices

Wat, Speedtest looks good using an ISP that does business with end users?

Almost certainly prioritizing their traffic, just the same way they shape NNTP except ofc their own. Oh yeah and throttle traffic 24/7 regardless of their deliberately unintelligible and ambiguous policy.

80% of the time I see 2Mbps out of the paid-for 10.

1. Syx

And at the other end of the scale

I very rarely see anything less than the 30Mbps I'm paying for.

5. Richard Wharram

Conf calls in the bath

Totally rock !

1. FredScummer
      Coat

From the bath, or the bathroom? I don't even want to think about a VM support guy taking my call whilst he's busy taking care of other urgent business.

1. Euripides Pants
        Joke

urgent bizness

Afraid he'll get confused when checking log files?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As we're grading providers here...

My experience:

Be - Fast when it works; which is sporadically.

Virgin - Very enthusiastic sales, installation and even the support's not bad. Pity the whole lot craps out during peak hours.

BT - Support is crap. Disappears for days one end.

1. cosymart
      Joke

One

Which end is that? :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The other end

7. Jon Smit
    FAIL

I reckon an extra 14,000

heavy users will turn Virgin's broadband into jelly. If you thought it was bad now...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like