back to article Black Ops has best videogame ending ever

Guinness World Records has confirmed Call of Duty: Black Ops has the greatest game conclusion of all time, after over 13,000 gamers cast their votes in favour of 2010's best-selling FPS. Treyarch's popular shooter, which offers a twist on the JFK conspiracy, pipped Halo: Reach and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time to the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. K
    Mushroom

Wait til March...

Mass Effect 3, its the end of an era, and I doubt it will disappoint :)

2. The Bit Wrangler
    Unhappy

Red Dead Redemption ?

Really ? I thought it was one of the most ill thought-out endings I've ever encountered. It smacked of the developer getting bored....

3. Richard Wharram

wtf

Black Ops has a better ending than Knights of the Old Republic ?

*boggle*

1. Richard Wharram

Oh God

...and Portal too?

*gibber*

1. Thomas 4
        FAIL

Off the top of my head

I can think of 20 titles more deserving than Crap of Duty: Bollocks. Bastion for a start, Sam and Max, Day of the Tentacle....

1. dotslash

Just thank...

the children for this.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge
          Devil

Doom 1

The classic doom 1 - shareware episode.

Best ending ever. No contest.

2. DJ 2
        Pint

@richard Wharram

I've heard the portal end credit song sung in the pub on a Friday night!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@DJ 2

But was it sung in Japanese?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-lUAqiEB0M

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

@Norfolk 'n' Goode

Or by an 8080?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLKJdk_bXzI

2. Paul_Murphy

Well..

It is a triumph :-)

3. Miek
        Coat

Some people simply don't like cake! o_O

4. Greg J Preece

Hmm, anything from before 2004 in there? Looks like another survey handed out to 13 year olds.

Personally, the most memorable for me was probably HL2, when time stops and the G-man just walks out at you. That was bloody cool.

Mass Effect is just one B5 rip-off after another, so despite its excellent presentation my brain wouldn't let me get excited by the not-great-machine at not-Babylon-5 about to be fired by the not-Drakh.

1. Greg J Preece

Missed Deus Ex 1 from that - the branching endings were all pretty sweet.

Also, Psychonauts. Nuff said.

2. Richard Wharram

Indeed

HL2 isn't even in the list so I didn't think of it.

HL2: Ep2 is though :/

3. TRT Silver badge

Shadow of the Beast? The opener was incredible too. For its day, of course.

5. Thomas 18
    Thumb Down

So we are voting on Guinness world records now?

Doesn't seem very scientific... then I pretty much lost faith when they started allowing breaks for people doing endurance activities (how long can you play dota before you die/give up, how long can you hold your hand on a car etc).

6. Scott 62

what? Black Ops didn't even have the best ending out of the CoD games, never mind best ending of all time.

They clearly only polled 12-16 year olds.

1. tmTM

i agree

It was so bad I can't remember it, I only finished it 6 months ago.

Now Metal Gear Solid 2 - thats an ending (not in a good way, in a total WTF?!? kinda way)

7. SpaMster
    FAIL

Fails on pretty much every level possible

So they are trying to tell us the ending to Bioshock 2, which hasn’t even made the list, is not as good as the ending to Sonic The Hedgehog, and this is supposed to be official? Seriously who wrote this list up?

8. BorkedAgain
    Meh

My money...

...would have been on Portal 2. The whole storyline was fantastic, and the operatic ending? C'mon...

...Spaaace!...

1. BorkedAgain
      WTF?

Oops. Sorry.

Deepest apologies to whomever I offended enough for them to downvote my post. You're right. Lego Star Wars was better.

2. mhoulden

What makes Portal and Portal 2 strong games is that they have a very well written plot. I'd like to see a prequel where you get to see Cave Johnson setting up Aperture Science, where Chell came from, and what exactly happened on Bring Your Daughter to Work Day. Maybe even get to play as Doug Rattman?

I have to say GTA IV was probably one of the most depressing games I've played. Vice City was glamorous and it was easy to sympathise with CJ in San Andreas, but in IV you commute round a pretty grimy city to achieve not very much in the end. In your downtime between missions you could go bowling. Wow. Not surprising that Saints Row 2 ripped the piss out of it so much. Hopefully GTA V will be an improvement. Jumping off Mt Chiliad on a motorbike is still good fun with 2005 era graphics.

9. Ru
    Unhappy

Demographic Bias, I suspect

Looks like lots of new stuff, not so many classics in there.

Did anyone really think the ending of Bioshock was awesome, incidentally? It all went a bit meh after you meet Andrew Ryan. Halo 3's ending was pretty tedious compared to Halo, I thought. And Fallout 3? The ending that was notoriously rubbish and hated by so many people they had to patch in an alternative ending with some DLC? Argh, I'm getting all freshly riled up about it after all this time.

1. Richard Wharram

F3

Can't have been that bad or good an ending as I don't remember it at all :)

2. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
      Mushroom

Talking about endings, how can StarCraft/Broodwar be missing from the list?

The three ending cinematics are just amazing. Particularly, the UEN Newsreel at the end of the Terran campaign is one of my favorite cutscenes in the history of videogames.

1. Richard Wharram

Damn that Kerrigan !

abc

10. W.O.Frobozz
    Thumb Down

Rubbish

I see nothing from before the dark ages of console hell are on this list. Did they troll Facebook for their silly poll? Somehow I'm skeptical of the opinions of people who think the First Person Shooter was "invented" with Halo.

Planescape: Torment was one of the finest games ever made, with some of the most interesting possible endings. But none of the current crop of console kiddies would know anything about that. The original Fallout's ending is far better than the yawnfest ending of Fallout 3. And the fact that Deus Ex (the original, not the smegging sequels) is not on that list is a real crime.

11. Code Monkey

Jet Set Willy

(one for the teenagers)

1. Matthew Smith

yes, this

I came on the forums to post this. Does Black Ops end with the main character throwing up down the loo, all in 48K? I think not.

1. dogged

Mine was bugged

I'd get to the last (it think) level and it just crashed. Every time.

I like to think of it as clever preparation for life.

1. Code Monkey

Being strictly honest I never completed it "properly". I just did the poke to reduce the number of items to collect.

1. Richard Wharram

Actually

JSW1 was impossible to complete without pokes iirc. Some bugs in it.

I completed JSW2 though but I have to admit it was in the 90s on an emulator so I could save :)

12. g e

Portal / Portal 2 not top?!?!?!?!

I guess the cake WAS a lie after all... :o(

Black Ops peed me off with the difficulty settings implementation, don't think I ever finished it.

1. Miek

"Black Ops peed me off with the difficulty settings implementation," -- how so ? It has three difficulties that are fairly well labelled!

13. Graysonn

I thought black ops had the worst ending of all the CoD games.

14. spaceyjase
    WTF?

Yeah

Many, many better endings than Black Ops, surely? One of my personal favourites is Panzer Dragoon Saga which had a very, very clever ending that meant it was something personal to the one playing. I recall her indoors saying "Your face was a picture" when it had finished. Superb stuff.

1. Richard Wharram

Damn

I've still got that in the attic and finished it but, again, I remember it not :(

Care to remind me? :)

15. Richard Wharram

Stop the Express

Should have been on there.

Well done for missing it. Big Congraturations.

16. DragonKin37
    WTF?

Really !

Red Dead Redemption number 5? That game had more sould and characters that I could get into. Than the carbon copy hero's of fracking CoD.

1. Martin Fowler
      Happy

The best part for me on RDR.....

......was the transition from America into Mexico at sunset with the tune specially written by Jose Gonzalez playing in the background. This is one of the best sequences of gaming (in my relatively short gaming life) that i have ever played. My mouth was wide open as the music faded in and then back out at the end of the song. An absolute genius bit of game design.

17. Tiny Iota
    Coat

JFC Conspiracy?

I'm not trolling here, and I've never played this game before, but what's the JFC Conspiracy? I guess it's a typo, so I imagine this game either has something to do with an assassinated American President or the recipe for fried chicken

1. Tiny Iota

Well...

Well if they are going to go round correcting articles the moment someone makes a bad joke, then what's the point?

18. Shades
    Thumb Down

Worst ending: Assassins Creed

I thought the Assassins Creed ending was totally crap. The game itself was great, but defeat the master, get ejected out the memory projector thingy, gain "eagle vision", access the conference room and the computer within it, look at a few symbols about the lab, roll credits, then... stuck in the sodding lab forever! Brilliant!

19. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

How about Descent 3?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhWVMR6Ll1E

It was quite good, I remember.

20. This post has been deleted by its author

21. Mark McNeill
    Pirate

At least I learnt something from all this

Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game.

22. Gregg Stuart

Surely..

It's Elite

1. FreeTard

There was an ending? A truly fantastic game all the same, but I don't remember an ending to it.

1. Gregg Stuart

There isn't - i was being ironic.

23. Horridbloke
    Windows

Best ending ever?

Impossible Mission. Commodore 64. Mid-eighties.

(Beach Head was pretty cool too.)

24. TimNevins

Bioshock 2

About 6 different endings on youtube. Worth watching.

25. SpaMster
    WTF?

I think you missed a few...

Wheres System Shock?!?

Wheres System Shock 2?!?

Wheres Bioshock 2?!?

Wheres It Came From The Desert?!?

Wheres Katamari Demacy?!?

Wheres Final Fantasy 8?!?

Wheres Final Fantasy 6?!?

Wheres Okami?!?

Wheres any of the Warcraft games?!?

Wheres Xenogears?!?

The list goes on...

Instead we get Sonic The Hedgehog, which was pretty much a screen of text, yeh great ending!!!

1. Greg J Preece

Now, don't get me wrong, because I *love* Okami, but I thought the ending wasn't that good. The last boss was a bloody insult. Some really creative, fun bosses before that, with personalities no less, and the last enemy is just a cheap, beardy robot who never so much as taunts you. "In that room there is the big bad, go murder him."

26. Spotfist
    Coffee/keyboard

:(

Well a little part of me died inside reading that list! I have to wonder who's these voters are and in what mentle state to boot! How does portal 2 fall so far down the list??? Does nobody remember the ending to Monkey Island 2?!?!?! What is wrong with everyone in this crazy place!!!!!???? AAaaaargh!

1. SpaMster
      Thumb Up

Good call!

Can add Monkey Island 2 to my list of stuff thats missing too, I forgot how good that ending was! and Simon The Sorcerer! and Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis! and Day Of The Tentacle!

1. NomNomNom

But "video game players" never played those games.

Most console players actually know jack-all about videogames short of the dozen or so they've ever played.

27. FreeTard

only 40% completed Assins Creed?

My 12 year old finished AC3 two days after Xmas. The little fecker got up at 2.30am to play it on Boxing day.... sneaked down the stairs and the first we knew of it was seeing his eyes in the morning.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about old games?

Manic Miner?

Chuckie Egg?

Classic endings! :P

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

An ending should be an /ending/

Well, IMO of course but I don't agree with some of the entries in that list. For example; the ending of inFAMOUS was IMO much more rewarding than Fallout was, even though I think Fallout scores higher when it comes to enjoyment of gameplay (higher replay value IMO). Yet inFAMOUS managed to build up and delivered whereas Fallout left me with "that's it? that's all?!". And my criticism against the ending got even deeper fueled with the DLC's which suddenly extended upon the storyline.

Which is another gripe I have; an ending should be that; an /ending/. I don't like to finish games only to be left with "Ok, the game ended but the story didn't. Guess I'll have to get myself the sequel". Its perfectly alright to extend on a game, sure, just make sure you end the chapter in a normal fashion and use some more fantasy and design skills to come up with a good continence of the story.

Just leave those way too obvious cliffhangers at home please; we paid enough for the game to expect a decent storyline (if applicable).

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gabriel Knight

31. irish donkey
    Happy

TombRaider

Miss Croft didn't make it onto the list?

shame!

32. saundby

Karateka...

Beach Head 2

Manic Mansion

Jumpman

Make everyone who voted play a selection of top games from 1972 to present then vote again.

33. Graham Jordan

insert standard shock horror response

As a Final Fantasy fan, VII was far from the best ending. VIII or XII pissed all over it. Even FFX-II was superior.

Streets of Rage 2 has by far the coolest ending music in a video game. EVER.

1. Dabooka
      Happy

Re: insert standard shock horror response

Just finished SoR2 on the iPhone after feeling the need for some retro action. Crap ending though, really bad boss. Almost as dire as the ending of Outrun on the 464.

El Reg, it's about time you started running polls on this here forum so we can conduct "proper" charts of this type, but populated with proper answers form a more discerning user base.

See to it I say!

2. RoboJ1M
      Thumb Up

Re: insert standard shock horror response

Well, FF7 was my favourite ending, followed by FF8 (and it's most epic battle of any game ever at the end)

IMO FF7 has the best nemesis (SPOILERS: killed your gf, killed your mum (sort of) burned down your home, throws a planet at you at the end) in Sephiroth so beating him was proper satisfying. I actually almost cried when the game ended because I knew no other game was going to feel like that.

FF8, with it's 4 sequential bosses and real deaths after a castle of bosses was just epic squared. Also the CG was (at the time) mind blowing. FF7 and 8 had the best soundtracks. Counts for a lot with me.

Course it's all just opinion, but regardless, I think the FF games have the best endings over all other games.

34. Mark Lawson

Twin Kingdom Valley. The "secret of life" as a sparkly/ gemmy thingy that literally took hours to render on screen (this was in the 8-bit days) :)

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gryzor

after a shed load of levels and many deaths finally making it to the end and believing yourself successful in your mission...

36. Richard Wharram

Ooh Ooh

Just thought of another.

Eyedol's ending from Killer Instinct !

Nobody will read this now though :(

37. Greg D
    WTF?

this may as well be "whats your favourite game"

I mean, that's what the list looks like. Did anyone REALLY get excited about the ending in Super Mario Bros? Some of the games on there are just laughable when it comes to endings. It's just fanboys voting for their fav games, quite obviously.

Also, there's no mention of Duke Nukem 3D :(

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like