back to article Samsung shows third-gen Galaxy Tab

Samsung has outed the Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0), its parenthesis packing new tablet fresh for Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. As the number in brackets will have told you, the first Tab 2 - presumably there's a Tab 2 (10.1) on the way - has a 7in screen, this one with a 1024 x 600 resolution. Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0) Android 4.0 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alex Walsh

I'm desperate for this to be affordable. If the wifi version is under £250, they'll have a sale, if its £300+ it'll fail.

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

No way

The only way this will be under 250 is if it's sold with a contract, or nicked. Otherwise it'll be pretty much pound for pound the same as the iPad.

It is a premium product after all; none of your far-Eastern iPad lookalike knock-offs here.

1. dotdavid
        Facepalm

"none of your far-Eastern iPad lookalike knock-offs here."

Ah but Samsung, being South Korean, are far-Eastern and some (*cough*apple*cough*) have been repeatedly claiming they make "iPad lookalike knock-offs" too.

But I don't see it doing any better than Samsung's original tabs, and that's mainly because of the presumably high price (as the OP says).

2. Alex Walsh

It will fail commercially then, like the original, like the Xoom, the HTC Flyer, and like the endless list of other Android tablets. I'll pick up a SD cardless Kindle Fire for well under £200 and lament at Samsungs stupidity whilst wishing the bloody thing had an expansion slot.

Nobody in their right mind should be paying £300+ for a 7 inch tablet, even if it is a "premium" product.

(Am talking about the wifi only model btw)

2. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Meh

"There's no word yet as to when the Tab 2 will ship, how much it'll cost when it does, or how quickly Apple will get its lawsuit in afterwards."

Love it. Sign of the times.

1. Ammaross Danan
      Facepalm

Orientation

This one was even designed to be oriented vertically like the iPad....Apple may have some ground to stand on this time.... :P

3. deshepherd

No innovation!

See that they are still slavishly copying the Apple rectangular screen concept!

4. Big_Ted
    Facepalm

~#~

And the rounded corners.....

And square icons.....

5. Gary F

Why the thick borders still?

Would be stylish and innovative if they could reduce the size of the screen borders. The S2's borders are 1/4 (or less) of that. Maybe the thickness is required to give it some strength?

1. jai

to give it strength in the courts, perhaps. without the thick borders, Apple are certain to cite the casing design as a copy of their trademarked design

2. Daf L
      Boffin

Thick Borders

It's so you can hold it.

You hold a phone with your fingers touching the sides but when you hold a tablet with one hand your palm or thumb has to rest on the face of the screen a little. This would register as a touch and keep messing with the software so you need a bezel to hold it.

1. Dazed and Confused

Thick borders, maybe this is why Apple think they are copying?

These borders don't look quite as thick as those on an iPad, but as you say an GalaxyS2 phone's borders are a fraction of this size. Considering Samsung will sell you a telly half the size of a wall with only a couple of mils or wasted space round the edge, these pads are starting to look so long in the tooth. You'd have thought that one of the obvious areas to compete here was to reduce the wasted space, as if you put a screen which is space efficient next to one with large borders, it makes the other screen look very dated.

6. Only me!
    Thumb Up

Perfect

This would be perfect if it comes in anywhere near £250....my other half wants a good quality tablet as she is very jealous of my XOOM that I got for £249. Only need the wifi version as her phone can be a wifi hotspot so no need for another contract!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

looks a lot like a iPad...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

rounded corners

Prepare to be sued by Etch-A- Sketch makers

9. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Apple will require the letter "i" to be removed from appearing anywhere on the device, including preventing the user from typing any word with the letter "i" in it.

On a more serious note, I wonder if the recent firmware upgrade to the 10.1 is paving the way for Ice Cream Sandwich for existing users?

1. Irongut

Don't you mean Ce Cream Sandwch?

1. dotdavid
        Thumb Up

Ce Cream Sandwch

Good thing the next Android release will be named Jelly Bean.

2. Ian Johnston Silver badge
      Unhappy

Googling around suggests

that the galaxy Tab 10.1 is not going to be upgraded to ICS at all. Which I can understand, because Samsung want you to buy new tablets, not upgrade old ones from "useless piece of shit" to "perhaps less useless piece of shit".

I have a Galaxy Tab 10.1. I use it as a photo frame.

10. Peter 48

Surprisingly low res for the screen - the galaxy note has a higher res despite being nearly 2" smaller. To me this is an indicator that it will be sold cheaply to compete with the kindle fire. As for borders, I would need at least 1.5cm of border around the screen to be able to hold it comfortably.

1. Ale

Typo?

Is that screen res a typo? 1024x800 is far more common.

1. Charles 9

That's not a widescreen ratio.

You probably refer to 1200x800, which is a res more commonly seen with 10-inch tablets. 1024x600 (not really 16:9, but it's decently close) seems to be the sweet spot with 7-inchers. Both the Kindle Fire and the color Nooks use this resolution as do a ton of 7-inch Honeycomb tablets (the El Cheapo Froyo/Gingerbread ones only do ~800x480).

11. JDX Gold badge
    Trollface

Nobody in their right mind should be paying £300+ for a 7 inch tablet

How much are you expecting iPad 7" to cost?

12. uhuznaa

No need to wait

You can buy things like the Lenovo A1 (very similar to the original Galaxy Tab) for £169 now.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What is the point then of the GT 7.7?

Apart from you can't appear to be able to buy it over here from a mainstream source

1. AlexV

I don't know, what is the point of this one?

As far as I can tell, the 7.7 is better than this one - higher resolution, thinner, lighter, barely any larger (197x133 compared to 194x122), faster CPU, more battery, better screen tech.

Unless this one is a *lot* cheaper than the 7.7, I can't see any good reason for it to exist.

14. Chris 171
    Meh

This is why I rate the Sony Tablet S...

This Samsung is just another addition to the endless stream of variable sized rectangular slabs with nothing to hold on to & no soul.

Yuk & balls, Sony all the way & it fits in a Crumpler 7" Gimp case too

PS, the S can be rooted now apparently, not that Ive done it yet.

15. Rentaguru

€270 according to a rival site. At £250 or less I'll have two but none if any more

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like