back to article Dutch retailer spills Nokia 910 beans

Confirmation - perhaps - for Russian mobile phone blogger Eldar Murtazin: a Dutch phone retailer has also claimed the Nokia Lumia 910 will sport a 12Mp camera and will sport a 4.3in, 480 x 800 display. The 910 - believed to be Lumia 800 follow-on that Europe will get in place of the 900, the LTE handset Nokia will ship in the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Baaahhhaaa

480 x 800 display...

My Android phone from 2008 had one of those too....

Do people really buy this outdated Windows Phone crap?

2. Quxy
    Windows

True...

But it'll be much cheaper than Android phones with comparable hardware, right?

3. Doringo
    Devil

Who cares?

I am afraid that to the majority of technically saavy users, this phone is uninteresting. Why? Windows. These days, advanced smart phones are chosen for their, in order, style (Apple/Samsung/Sony), fun (Apple/Android) these days, flexibility of hardware and software (Android), and then reliability/business (Blackberry/Windows). Why RIM and Nokia are both in trouble, especially Nokia. It just doesn't get it. Going from Symbian to Windows, against the tide, is its fatal mistake.

1. admiraljkb
      Boffin

I care! ;)

Sorry, gratuitus Breakfast Club quote... Bonus points for characters and scene.

For the tech heads, its the single core proc alone with the added lackluster screen that really disappoint. We've not even gotten to the UI cause because we can't get past the physical specs of the phone. :) I'd accept a Dual-core 800Mhz easier, since that would be better/smoother than a single core 1.4ghz. More cores than 2 get into diminishing returns like when the first dual core PC processors came out, but modern phones typically have several threads actively sucking down CPU cycles. Even if Winphone7.5 doesn't need a second core, Win8 will, so this phone has a short lifespan.

Earlier today for grins, I was looking the CPU usage log from my T989 SGS-II, and realizing that the cores stay at 192Mhz about 70% of the time (I underclocked the minimum to 192Mhz and overclocked the max to 1.7Ghz). Much of the time one core will shoot up to 800Mhz with brief bursts all the way to 1.7Ghz, and the other one will come up from 0 to 192, then to 384, but much of the time it won't get past that. Software is still largely single threaded obviously, but without a second core to handle those threads, the CPU will get bogged down easier. If mobile software keeps going like it is though, 4 cores will be mandatory in 2 years.

1. Sharkit
        FAIL

You say yourself Win7.5 doesn't need dual core then you go on to bash it for not having one? Make your mind up.

No it doesn't need it, it would just be a waste of power and battery life, the phone will more than likely run smoother than any Android phone even with dual core and cos of the lower spec will be cheaper as well.

Phones just aren't quite at the level of computers yet and except for the occasional game really don't need dual core. It's coming though and I agree with you that this phone is a bit of stop gap with Win8 round the corner, that's a dilemma Nokia will just have to live with.

2. Sharkit
      Coat

Symbian was alas going nowhere, they needed to switch. Licensing iOS is never an option and Android they'd be an also ran. Nokia have more style than Samsung/Sony and at least on a par with Apple. Fun - they don't quite have the same amount of apps yet, but tying in with xBox and win8 on the horizon that situation will soon be reversed. Hardware flexibility, pretty locked down right now, though I don't think anyone but tech heads care too much about screen res - the current phones look fine to most eyes.

I don't think Nokia and Windows Phone can compete on every level right now, once Windows Phone 8 devices come out they will, but for now they still do enough elegantly that I think most people would enjoy one if they had it. Well, i'm eagerly awaiting this 900/910 anyway.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like