back to article March release for Samsung Galaxy S II Android 4.0 update

Samsung said in November 2011 that Android 4.0 - aka Ice Cream Sandwich - will be coming to its Galaxy S II smartphone some time in 2012. It has yet to narrow that window, but industry leak merchant Eldar Murtazin has now said ICS will hit the S II in March. Unsurprisingly, operator-tied handsets may have to wait a little …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just in time

For the Samsung Galaxy S III.

Coincidence, uhmmm?

1. LarsG

I know it will be good, but

When will the Android OS be secure against malware.

Interesting article in this months PC Pro, on Android security. "Eset researchers are now seeing hundreds sometimes thousands of Android malware data samples each week"

Now we need security apps as standard?

1. LarsG

I WAS

Being ironic as the last BIG update did nothing for my wifes HTC after the update.

Anyone know what real world changes there were?

2. Richard Wharram

Um

CM9 has been out for over a month hasn't it?

1. Miffo

All I know is what it says on a recent blog posting where it doesn't sound very much released - http://www.cyanogenmod.com/blog/progress-on-cm9

2. PaulR79

It's available on a very limited amount of handsets like the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus S currently, along with a few tablets. You can get a hold of other builds based on CM9 code but CM9 has not been released fully yet. The main stumbling block seems to be camera related and they're waiting for drivers or source to be released so they can build the drivers. It's something like that anyway.

Quick note to mention that other builds based on CM9 are using a hacked in version of the Gingerbread camera to function and while it works most of the time it has issues (graphical artifacts showing on random pictures) and only supports basic image shooting right now. That means no camcorder or panorama mode and definitely no Zero Shutter Lag (ZSL) mode.

3. probedb

So will this actually be dependent on the mobile operator? I don't want to have to wait for O2 to push it out or I'll still be here next March waiting.

The sub versions of 2.3 have all been available through Keis.

4. Egons Proton Pack

i'm on Orange

I wonder how long we will have to wait for their customised version?

1. LarsG

NEVER

if past experience is anything to go by, that why I but my handsets now, to avoid the crapware.

5. James Whale

Latest build already pretty good

Running the latest leaked build (LPB) for a couple of weeks now and it's pretty damn good. Battery life is waaay better than stock Gingerbread, and it's faster too. There are a few issues with wallpaper/gallery locking up, as well as Settings crashing when exiting Wi-Fi hotspot mode. On the whole though, it's rock solid, fast and power-efficient. I can only imagine Samsung will have made it even better by release time. =)

6. Mark C Casey

Bought mine at carphone warehouse

Mine was bought on contract with three, but it seems to be branded as carphone warehouse. (it was unlocked too, which was nice of them)

Apparently it's dependant on whoever branded it on what firmware you get and when. For example, the csc code on mine: I9100CPWKH1. (Note the CPW for carphone warehouse)

To find out your csc and who the phone is branded to, enter the following as you would dialing a phone number: *#1234#

Unfortunately carphone warehouse have a bit of a bad reputation for updates... (mine is still on android 2.3.4, whilst 2.3.5 has been out for a fair while now)

Frankly, I may just flash my phone using odin when the official samsung ICS update comes out. I'm not going to flash my phone with CM9 because that's still alpha/beta quality. And I don't want my custom flash counter incrementing. (it increments if you use unofficial roms, I like my warranty thanks)

1. <spez>
      Terminator

2.3.4 is what firmware unbranded sgs2 are stuck at the moment, like mine from t mobile. I hAve already rooted my month old phone, and reset the count to 0 and removed warning triangle. Just couldn't live without root.

7. Captain Quack
    FAIL

oh really?

I got a text from Samsung just last week telling me that android 2.3 was now available for my 14 month old Samsung Galaxy S ( AT&T Captivate)

that is Android 2.3

not 4.0

meaning we were running 2.2 until last week

Thank Darwin for XDA.

have no faith in Samsung deployment schedules.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Isn't that more of a problem with AT&T's deployment schedules?

Yours,

Rest of world.

8. Darryl

Interesting

Now that the manufacturers are releasing the updates, I wonder how long until Google/Samsung get around to releasing the update for my Nexus S. You know, the one with the unbranded Android... There was a limited run before Christmas (my firmware version wasn't included) that they quickly pulled and it's been very quiet since.

1. GregC

What he said...

Saw it flash up briefly while I was on a 3G connection, by the time I was back on wifi the update had gone. Been waiting impatiently ever since...

9. PeterGriffin

Easy phone to "hack"

Using the tools and knowledge on the aforementioned XDA Developers site I was able to turn my T-Mobile UK locked SGSII into an unlocked (from network) generic device. It's really quite easy.

10. fLaMePrOoF
    Meh

Hmmm... Not even a mention of the many 'leaked' beta versions and the considerable amount of development that has gone into them by xda-developers / Cyanogen team?

Nice to get the tip but this article is rather light on related info...

For example, Samsung's release will almost certainly replace the stock ICS launcher with their Touchwiz interface, a move which will be very unpopular with many and to some extent negate the very reason for upgrading to ICS!

There was a story here...

11. Prodigal Rebel
    Go

i9100BUKJ3 says mine and its Vodafone Ireland ... well it was bought but unlocked by unblocking code from Voda :)

12. Steve Osbourn
    Thumb Up

Leaked builds

I've been running the leaked ICS builds for several weeks. It's now up to 4.0.3 and definitely a huge improvement. The best feature of ICS has to be the ability to freeze unwanted apps. Previously you needed root + titanium backup to remove carrier bloatware.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like