back to article Apple fans hope keynote holds news of sub-notebook

So, CES packs up for another year and everyone takes a break from the full-on, week-long frenzy. However, another big event is about to steal the spotlight as Apple is expected to announce an ultra-slim laptop at its annual show on Tuesday. The annual Macworld conference in San Francisco is the venue of choice for Apple CEO …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Typo ?

Did you mean iComic rather than iConic in the image caption of the iHavemoremoneythansense-phone ?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Re: Tipo?

Wow bitter are we? Wish you you could get something nice for yourself? Parents won't buy it for you?

3. My Opinion
    Coat

And there was I......

.... always thinking it was a POLO-neck.

Something to do with keeping warm in the Arctic / Antarctic?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

@Anonymous Coward

I must salute you, Coward, for your subtle wit. I get it! You're saying that people who can afford an iPhone are stupid because... because they can afford an iPhone! Wow. If only the poor, stupid bastards who like the device's UI and form factor had heard your wisdom, I'm sure the world would be a better place.

Jackass.

Signed, a Blackberry-and-PC-using wintel man.

5. Nick Mallard

Dictator Evil

Why is it that Steve Jobs always looks like a stereotypical movie villian whenever he appears to spout some more brainwashing sales speak?

Caption for this photo:

"With this device, I summon a thousand sharks with frickin' laser beams"

6. Frank Bough
    Stop

Jobs the Sublime Salesman

Why does everyone seemingly have such issues with Steve Jobs being the mouthpiece and salesman in chief of Apple? The man is genuinely talented in a way that no-one else in the IT industry has ever been. Apple products are highly competent and sometimes even genuinely innovative, but the man Jobs manages to spin his dreary product announcements into front page news virtually every time he climbs onto the stage.

Give the guy some credit, he's not a billionaire for nothing.

7. Giles Jones Gold badge

Villain?

He doesn't look like a villain, he looks like someone from Kraftwerk. Looks like one of their robots.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New or refreshed Mac Book Pro please!

I don't hope there's a sub compact. I want a new Mac Book Pro 17" with all the trimmings.

9. simon

mini mac pro

poor mans eee pc more like (flame on fan boys :) )

10. Nick Mallard

@ Giles Jones

Heh, well said. I was half way to suggesting he looks like a cult leader or perhaps one of those guards from Equilibrium.

Jobs is, of course very talented. The ability to send sand to the arabs as a viable food source is one to be used as an example of sales techniques everywhere - the lack of ethics and "if it moves, patent it" approach is not.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

RE

'Apple products are highly competent and sometimes even genuinely innovative'

ROTFLMAO

Apple products are driven by one thing, marketing and a multi million dollar advertising budget. Apple don't innovate and haven't done for a long time. They take other peoples inventions, dress it up nicely and hype it beyond belief to make the masses of sheeple believe it is a must have item. Reports on anything that isn't up to scratch, poorly designed, major flaws etc get buried by all the hype reporting.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

@ Nick

As if the "if it moves, patent it" approach is the sole domain of Apple and Steve Jobs? Funny how if Jobs or Apple says it, sells it, whatever it, its pure evil and the masses are weak simpletons to fall for it. Whereas if its Gates, Ballmer, Mr. Softy, etc, well, shucks, that just fine and we'll take a two, please.

13. b shubin
    Boffin

What's in the air

if it's California, and there's something questionable in the air, 30% of it is probably the part of the Asian Brown Cloud that crosses the Pacific.

as for Mr. Jobs, despite having the character of a snapper turtle (as described in a legion of anecdotes by a legion of people), and reputedly being personally unpleasant (dubious habits, marginal social skills, poor hygiene, etc.), he is also highly effective; consider Apple's numbers (now bigger than the entire music business), specifically the figures from before his return, versus what came after. Apple products are starkly different, too, and hugely popular, but numbers are a more effective, neutral metric.

Theo de Raadt (leader of the OpenBSD project) is also considered to be difficult and abrasive, but the project puts out a consistently superior product (one of the most secure OSes on the planet), on time and to spec.

i've never met these guys, so do not know them well enough personally to judge whether i'd want them as friends, but their accomplishments are impressive, and i like their work.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like