back to article Groupon loses $42.7m in Q4, shares tumble

Groupon (GRPN) has posted a net loss of $42.7m for the last three months of 2011, disappointing Wall Street's expectation that the coupon-pushers would make a small profit. Groupon stocks closed the day at $24.58 but in after-hours trading stocks tumbled 15 per cent to $20.75 – suggesting that Groupon shareholders might want to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JDX Gold badge
    WTF?

"higher-than-expected overseas tax bill"

If they're making a loss why are they paying tax?

1. Jedit Silver badge
      Headmaster

"Why pay tax on a loss"?

Because a multinational corporation's tax bill is determined individually for each country. For example, say they make a $10m profit in the UK but a $20m loss in the US. They operate at a loss overall and pay no tax in the US, but are still taxed on their UK profits.

This being a company that sells things, there are also sales taxes to consider.

2. Only me!
    Facepalm

Facebook

Sounds a little like facebook.....keeps requiring "Investment"....if they made any money they could invest it in themselves.

Dot Com Bubble 2 the sequel .....

3. jai

the company said that if [things that cost us money] were excluded it would've have presented shareholders with [still a loss of a lot of money]

that's not good news however you spin it

4. Rameses Niblick the Third (KKWWMT)
    Trollface

Investment options are available

I have a company that broke even last year, can I have lots of money please? Financial breakdown follows:

Revenue - £0.00

Costs - £0.00

Will take serious offers in this (apparently) fantastic opportunity!!!

1. Shady
      Pint

A bargain

I will open the bidding with one hundred trillion english pounds - or ten groats, whichever is the greater worth

1. DZ-Jay

Re: A bargain

I have millions of dollars to invest. Can I pay in bitcoins? How about in Flooz?

5. Blake St. Claire
    Holmes

take the money and run

Haven't looked at groupon email in months. Switched around some aliases in my mail server and discovered that Amazon has been spamming me with their version for who knows how long.

My daughter bought flying lessons through groupon for herself and me. Tried to use them last fall and the school cancelled them because it was a bit windy that day. Seriously? It was breezy, but not gale force. Not sure if there was a time limit to use them; if there was and we lose our lessons, we're going to be, uh, rather upset, shall we say.

Personally I'm over groupon. I'm over Facebook too; just waiting for it to die really.

6. DrXym

How can this be?

I thought people were clamouring for fish pedicures, detox patches, tanning sessions and all the service industry dross that is heavily marked up so it can be heavily discounted on Groupon. That's pretty much all Groupon and its ilk sells once they've burned through all the good will in a new territory.

7. Andrew Moore

Errr...

"Despite the missed target, Groupon is predicted to make a profit of between $15m and $35m in the first quarter of 2012."

Predicted probably by the same analysts who got the last prediction wrong...

8. Mr Young
    Joke

Just how much money have they lost?

Wish I could run a business like that - nobody would even notice if I bought myself a new shed!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I would not bet on them with all these others like wowzer and yet-another-coupon-site... they have lots of 'customers' (most of which probably never buy anything) but I'm guessing little loyalty.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Groupoff

Every now and then for a laugh I'll visit their badly designed garish Geocities page builder website for a laugh and I'll select my city and for the email address I'll usually put something daft in like 123@fake.com or a.b@c.com and submit it only to receive a message that I'm already on their mailing list...

I bet half their mailing list is just dud addresses that people have used so they can have a sneak peak see what all the fuss is about then when they realise there's nothing good or tangible there they never visit the website again

Groupon like Blake St. Claire who posted above I can't see neither flying any time soon. There'll be another horrendous bad quarter then they'll disappear and all the mugs who invested will be crying in their spilt milk

This topic is closed for new posts.