back to article British Red Cross First Aid

The Red Cross was in the news recently when it issued new guidelines for performing CPR - Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation - and it has followed this up with a free First Aid app that's worth downloading in case of emergencies. The app is divided into four sections. The Emergency area provides instant advice for dealing with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Excellent

Just found it in the Android Market too - an excellent recommendation all round.

1. thesykes
      Thumb Up

cheers

downloading it now

2. jai

wtf

it's GameCenter enabled???

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Excellent

Just found in BlackBerry App World too!

4. stu 4
    Thumb Down

found it pretty rubbish myself

tried it a few months ago - every single thing says 'call 999'.

hardly any actual first aid described at all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Odd...

...mine (Andriod) has plenty of info in there.

And here is a shocker, if someone is bleeding to death, having a heart attack, then guess what. Call 999

Then you look what to do.

Maybe you need to scroll down a little perhaps?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I18N?

I wonder if they handle internationalization correctly - as in, detecting that IF (location.is_in(NATION_USA)) THEN emergency_number:=911

Actually, if this is going to be a phone app, I'd think the number ought to be a link that dials the appropriate emergency number for you - people in a crisis are rarely as level-headed as they think they will be.

And before you flame me for daring suggest anything not totally Euro-centric: This is as important for a Brit visiting the US as the other way around. Consider if you were over here and something happened - you might very well dial 999 and get nowhere, costing valuable time.

1. Yet Another Commentard

911 vs 999 vs 112 vs ...

According to wiki (may or may not be correct) the GSM protocol interprets your 999 or 911, or 112 etc and routes direct to local emergency service.

I recall reading (probably even more incorrect) that UK switchboards will route 911 to 999 simply because our yoof have been dragged up on so much US guff they think that is the correct emergency number.

It's odd with so many standards around that the world still has so many different emergency numbers - surely lives, literally, could be saved by making it the same everywhere?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Agreed whole-heartedly!

I'd like to seem them use the same thing some of the old amateur auto-patches used - LTZ (Long tone zero) - mash the 0 key for a couple of seconds and you get connected to the emergency number.

Of course, all phones in the US SHALL (by law) offer the ability to make an emergency call, even if locked - there SHALL be an "emergency call" button that dials 911 no matter what, even if locked.

2. P. Lee
        Coat

Your Emergency services: 0118 999 881 999 119 7253

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab8GtuPdrUQ

3. jonathanb Silver badge

There is an emergency number that is the same everywhere, or at least pretty much everywhere; it is 112. Perhaps it could be more widely advertised so that people know to automatically dial it in case of emergency when abroad.

6. Eponymous Bastard

Red Cross

They just want your money and they care not how they get it; that's 21st century charity for you. It's commerce with charity as its cover.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like