back to article T-Mobile's Full Monty speed 'capped at 1Mb/s'

T-Mobile's unlimited tariff, The Full Monty, has come under scrutiny after reports surfaced that the cellco may have placed a speed limit of just 1Mb/s on the package. The price plan, launched this month, aims to compete with Three's The One Plan by offering T-Mobile customers a fully unlimited package for £41 per month. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andy ORourke

I Recently got a T-Mobile SIM

for my iPhone and topped up a tenner which (allegedly) gives me 12 months "unlimited" internet.

I have regularly used the 3g Data, watched catchup TV etc and never hit a cap and at the last measurement get 2 Mbps down / 0.5Mbps up speeds which for a total cost of a tenner is not bad really.

1. bigphil9009

What plan are you on?

The best I could get was £15 for one month's mobile BB usage - I would love to get your deal, is it PAYG or contract?

1. dotdavid

BB usage

Isn't the extra £5 for the Blackberry services?

I was gobsmacked when I found out Blackberry users have to pay extra, for whatever reason.

1. Chad H.

The reason

Is to pay Blackberry for the use of their services.

2. bigphil9009

Sorry, ambiguous acronym alert!

I mean mobile Broadband rather than BlackBerry; sorry for the confusion...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Our Full Monty plans do NOT have a max speed of 1Mb/s"

It's actually 1.000000001 Mb/s

3. GettinSadda

Is Three the same?

I suspect Three may do the same - I have a phone on their "One Plan" which I tether at times and have never yet managed >1Mbps down, but usually >1Mbps up!

1. Pete the not so great

not according to speedtest.net

I got around 3.7 the other day.

1. Danny 14

3 dont cap their speeds

6.2mb/2.5 is my fastest so far (mid afternoon too).

http://www.gtfogaming.co.uk/community/post-your-speedtest-net-result-here-t4765-40.html#p114918

1. GettinSadda

I am starting to wonder if this differs depending on which network you are on. I am in the wilds of Scotland where there used to be no Three coverage. I suspect that they may have fixed this by sharing the T-Mobile network (which has had coverage here for ages). I wonder now if this means that I get my Three bandwidth via T-mobile and they have a blanket 1Mbps cap.

2. GettinSadda

"I got around 3.7 the other day."

Is that on The One Plan?

1. Jim Coleman
          Happy

Just got 6.3Mbps download, 2.7Mbps upload speed. On 3, on the "All-in-one-15" package, which is a pay-as-you-go £15 per month package. i.e. no contract. You also get 300 minutes and 3,000 texts included in that £15 alongside the unlimited internet. Quite nice.

2. Pete the not so great

"one plan" - yes

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

customer support

As a long standing t-T-mobile customer i have noticed that it is very common for customer services not to know much at all about their internet services, for instance what types of services they block.

I did find that the services they blocked were patchy at best, ventrilo was blocked for the most part altho you could get connected to vent servers every now and again for an hour or 2 while TS2 and TS3 went completely unblocked!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Customer Support

T-Mobile's customer support has gone, over the last 3 years from very good to utterly abysmal.

I have spent 2 days trying to get an idea of my average data usage. On day 1 I was told they cannot give me the information because of a server upgrade. On day 2, after 20 minutes of getting nowhere close to the information I was after I decided to try a different approach and asked what the limit was on my "unlimited" data contract.

After being on hold for a couple of minutes, the nice lady came back and told me confidently that my limit was 5MB/month. "Are you sure?" I asked, "This seems unlikely. Perhaps you would like to check."

Off she toddles and returns to tell me actually it's 500MB/month. Using my time on hold wisely, I had found the T-Mobile fair use policy online but it was equally as vague, could be 500MB, could be 1GB, not really sure. The lovely, but relentlessly useless, lady explained that the difference was based on when you signed up for a contract. Oddly, this is not what the website indicates but hey ho. Acting on the telephone advice I suggested that the length of time I have had a contract with them would mean I have 1GB/month. Lady quickly agreed but, to be honest, I think she was making it up as she went along by then.

Sometimes I have to actually do some work instead of bartering information with T-Mobile customer services, so I asked if they could go and find out the correct information and call me back. Of course they can, we will ring back within the hour. Jolly good.

32 hours later...I'm still waiting.

Peter

5. Danny 14

TMobile

These guys have always been shady about their speeds. You need to pick through their responses with a fine tooth comb. I have been bitten by these charlatans before. I purchased a phone + tmobile sim from buymobiles.net, it had minutes, text and 1gb cap however what wasnt clear or termed correctly in the T&C was that it was capped at 384Mbs i.e. HSDPA was not available. It took a hell of a lot of arguing to get this cap lifted. Initially it was explained that if I purchased a sim from a reseller then I would need to pay another 5 per month to get the rate cap lifted - If I bought the sim directly then there was no cap.

There was nothing in the T&C about this. There was a section labeled speeds limited to the capability of 3G and it took a bit of wrangling to explain HSDPA is still 3G technology in the technical sense. Sure some people may CALL it 3.5 but in the specs it is still 3G. Court was threatened (with me threatening to have the contract canceled due to breach)

I wont trust a word of them until I see other people suckered in. I suspect if you get it from TMobile there will be no cap, buy from a reseller and its caps ahoy.

1. Danny 14

no edit! I obviously meant K not M - i'd be happy with 384M....

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

about 1.9Mbit/s max with their plans

Been with T-M for about 2 years and *never* had a speed test over 1.9mbps, even late at night with great signal and HSPA+

It obviously gets rate limited here, but to be fair I can often get this speed

Also explains why they come out lower than others in speed surveys

1. Vince

speeds

I have a tmob pay monthly deal, all of 13.00 a month, includes unlim hand set data, current speed 2.4 down, 558kbps up.

Would be surprised if Monty tariff is worse given the much higher cost

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why no outcry at the hike in tariffs ?

Never mind "The Full Monty" tariff grabbing the headlines, why is there no outcry at the general hiking of their other tariffs ?

For example, before Xmas you could get an HTC Explorer with 100 mins, unlimited texts and 500 MB data download limit for £10/mon. The same phone/mins/texts would now cost £21/mon for only 100 MB data or £26/mon for 750 MB data.

Outrageous !

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC 12:29 GMT

If they try to make significant changes to the terms, e.g. the price tariff, then you are free to leave (in droves).

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've just tested my t-mobile connection on my atrix, i'm on a tarrif i signed up to a while ago that gives me a 3gb download and tethering for about £36 a month. I'm getting 3.9Mbps down and 1.7mbps up, with only 3 bars signal.

I'm worried that if i upgrade, which I'm due too that they might cap or not allow me to keep the same terms that I'm already on.

1. dansus

Thats pretty pricey, got the same deal with a C7 for £5pm. (3GB/300/300)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Really? The mobile broadband itself was an extra £5pm. If that's the case, maybe I should do some negotiating. I signed up about 2 years ago and got an N900 with it. I was paying £47pm on a 12 month contract, same terms, with a N96! So seemed a better deal. I'm now on a phone that I bought myself, thefore need a sim-only tarrif.

10. Pauluss
    Thumb Down

I recently signed up on a small biz tariff,

Yes all new T-mob tariffs for data are restricted from 1 Mb and some larger packages 1.8Mb.

No where does it say in any T's and C's that this is happening and very very few employees either know or admit this!

They also charge for call diverts and do not have call conferencing much to my amazement.

Other then that they seem ok, but cannot help thinking there the new cheapy brand of EE.

Paul

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They used to be the cheapy brand of EE, but see my comment from 12:29 ...

Comparing them using Omio, using that phone/mins/text/data as an example, they now come in at 50p/mon more expensive than Orange (and Orange give you unlimited texts).

Even Vodafone are cheaper the T-Mobile - what is the world coming too ?

11. HMB

1.9Mbps / 1.1Mbps, three, one plan (Down / Up)

Speed tested just now. I relied on this connection while BT sat with their thumb up their ass thinking about installing Infinity for me (which they said was available), before deciding 6 weeks later that they couldn't do Infinity because the exchange wasn't enabled yet (despite the phone line engineer living in a house we could see from my back window already having Infinity).

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not so much a Full Monty...

as a Half Nelson

(with all the bits missing).

13. h3

They are not bad if you need occasional data

6 Months payg internet for £20 is not bad. (Credit doesn't get rinsed apart from when the addon ends). £3.33 a month is just fine.

It is not as good performance wise as 3 but it is tons better than Giff Gaff. (When it really shouldn't be due to O2 having 900mhz 3G in my city.)

(TmobileUKhelp on twitter is far better than the misguided Giff Gaff community).

(Voice / texts I keep on a separate Nokia 6230i which is totally great and has been since I got it new along time ago - I use MobilEdit on the pc to send texts (Only an occasional thing for me)).

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thank god speedtest.net has a random and infinitely varying ipaddress set.

Otherwise network providers could throttle all ofther trafic and let speedtest traffic through couldn't they, and that would be unethical.

15. Leigh Geary

It gets more interesting

Hi, we actually broke this story last week. Since then we've found that customers on "normal" T-Mobile and Orange contracts are topping out at 2Mb/s whilst Full Monty customers continue to get 1Mb/s.

There's a bit more info here, including the results of our tests..

http://www.coolsmartphone.com/2012/02/06/on-the-full-monty-plan-send-us-your-speed-tests/

http://www.coolsmartphone.com/2012/02/06/speed-are-you-getting-throttled/

http://www.coolsmartphone.com/2012/02/03/t-mobile-full-monty-shocking-speed-cap/

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like