back to article iPhone 4 incapable of handling Siri, says chip chap

Siri won't run on iPhone 4 because the phone's chip can't handle it, an analyst at the Linley Group has said. The news is a blow to iPhone 4-ers hoping for an upgrade to the voice-activated virtual assistant and is also a surprise to anyone familiar with the I-hacked-my-iPhone-4-to-run-Siri stories. Linley Gwennap of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not real noise cancelling thou.

To my knowledge, only the Xperia Arc S (and perhaps the Arc) does this, using a 2nd Mic on the back of the phone and cancels the two.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Eh?

Speak up there. You keep breaking up.

2. Stuart Castle Silver badge

Not according to the iFixit teardown of the iPhone 4. That has dual mics, with the secondary one being used for noise reduction, so it's a fair bet the iPhone 4S does.. http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone-4-Teardown/3130/1

Regarding the point of the article, while I haven't personally tried to jailbreak my 4 and install Siri, the few reports I have seen of it being done all say it isn't actually that reliable. Maybe the different noise cancelling tech is the reason.

3. goldcd

Dunno

http://www.audience.com/products/overview.php

Is the list of products that use it (and are willing to say they do). My old Nexus one had it. Teensy extra chip on the board and a 2nd mic on the back to pick up the external noise to remove from the main mic (so classical noise cancelling).

Now I wasn't aware that the 4GS had a second mic, so I'm guessing this is something that can strip out the users voice from a single audio input.

1. goldcd

oops

seemingly they do have dual mics. I can only guess that they've integrated the processing into the CPU, rather than including it as a discreet chip.

4. Alain

Ahem

My good old Nexus One has it too... and it works pretty well I must say.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Siri won't run on iPhone 4 because the phone's chip can't handle it"

Errr...Doesn't the audio get sent to Apple to be processed? and isn't the point that the phone sends the recorded audio up to the apple servers to be analysed that it needs fuck all processing power from the phone to work?

1. Stuart Castle Silver badge

If it does, it's in a very highly compressed form. Noise reduction would help here as most audio compression systems work more efficiently with a signal with little or no background noise.

2. goldcd

No.

This is to clean the audio up, before it gets sent off to Apple for them to work out what it's supposed to say

1. Benjamin 4
        Facepalm

But surely (especially given modern mobile data connection speeds) it would make far more sense to process the noise reduction on Apple's servers, rather than processing it on a low powered mobile device? Is that not the whole point of having big data centres?

1. jubtastic1

@ Benjamin 4

Nope, It's processed in realtime, so by the time you've stopped speaking there's a clean and well compressed voice file ready to saunter across t'internet to Apple's servers, which can get right to work on that nice clean audio and send a message back pronto, its better all round doing it this way, reduced bandwidth & server loads, and most importantly, less lag.

1. dssf
            Joke

Inside the machine...

I thought there were hamsters translating in the servers, and that an occasional "squee squee squee schwee schweee" had to be REfiltered to prevent it returning to the phone...

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Anthill Inside..

3. Anonymous Coward
    Gimp

There's another proximity sensor in the 4S too for the tilt to speak detection.

1. It wasnt me
      Happy

No there isnt.

After about 5 seconds experimentation I can reveal that it appears to use the front facing camera, and the accelerometer, as I expected it would.

4. Tom 35

Apple famously dislikes shipping less-than-perfect products

As in "your holding in wrong"?

It might not work as well on a 4, but the real reason is Siri is one of the "amazing new features" of the 4s so they can't have it working on an old phone.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Umm, am I mistaken in remembering Siri worked on the Jeebus 4 before Apple removed it from the App store a week befroe the 4S launched?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Siri" was also available for the 3GS

Have to call bullshit on this article - Siri (actually its predecessor) worked perfectly fine on the 4 and even 3GS. Perhaps there *is* special audio-cleaning hardware in the 4S that improves performance of Siri, but it's certainly not a requirement in order for Siri to work acceptably on much less powerful hardware.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Read the F'in article

Yes it can run but it does not work well, It had to be used with the mic close to the mouth not hands-free like on the 4s. It's ONLY about the sound processing.

Yes you can jailbreak your phone and install it, or install it when it first came to market but it will be crap, and only work properly when close to your mouth.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Read the F'in article

How about you read the F'in comments?

It's been said the Siri predecessor worked *perfectly fine* on a 3GS, and this is entirely correct. Yes this noise cancelling technology in the 4S might improve performance a little, but it certainly isn't an essential requirement given that the same Siri-based technology worked just fine without it on much lower spec hardware.

Also, notice in the following video how (not very) close to his mouth he is holding this Apple 4 (not 4S) running Siri.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwRg13zFviY

Stop drinking the Apple koolaid, as they say across the pond.

6. Alan Denman

I call bullshit!

Yet there was no real need to cull the old iPhone Siri which worked better according to Woz.

Apple certainly likes it's customers to upgrade as often as they can.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Loved that story

Woz should troll Apple more often.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Only Apple?

I should think every maker or seller likes that too or their business life could be short.

Think before you complain.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think this analyst drank a nice tall glass of stupid this morning. Siri was in the app store before Apple bought it and it worked just fine on the 4. Furthermore, the 4s hardware was done long before Apple purchased Siri. The *ONLY* reason it is 4s only is to give people a reason to upgrade to the 4s.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/10/18/why-apple-bought-siri/

8. Alan Scott
    Meh

I may be confused...

...but didn't Siri work perfectly fine as a standalone app on older iPhones before Apple got their hands on it?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Siri

The app worked really well until the rollout of the 4GS. It was a featured app at the App Store, which is probably why Apple bought the company. About a month prior to the 4GS rollout it began opening with a message about the 'new, upgraded' features which proved to be Apple shutting it down.

10. wingZero

More bullshit

Apple stop it with this bullshit already...Using as a way to sucker in people to buy the rubbish stop gap 4s...

Aint gonna happen bring out the real next iPhone..

wingZero

11. CaptainBlue
    FAIL

http://www.richardhmorris.com/2011/12/22/siri-arse-lee/ for my take on the actual benefit of Siri

12. stanimir

The article is sorta ridiculous, especially "less the perfect" nonsense.

Please, don't post so biased stuff.

13. Ron Christian
    FAIL

it's purely a marketing decision

The 4 won't run Siri because then there'd be no reason to camp out in front of the store to exchange your 4 for a 4s.

Test by: (a) There was an app available in the app store that *did* run on the 4, which stopped working when the 4s was released. (the back-end server became unavailable.) (b) A jailbroken 4 will run Siri acceptably.

I sometimes wonder if it's a game the product managers play to see how trivial an improvement they can make and still get people camping out in significant numbers.

14. Andy ORourke
    Happy

Or, if you MUST have SIRI functionality

you could just use Vlingo, freely available in the app store (No I don't work for Vlingo or Apple) for the 3Gs or iPhone 4

Just saying

15. WATTS

Total rubbish info

What a load of scaremongering for Apple. Siri does run perfectly on the iPhone 4 and can be made to work on older devices too.

Here is the proof, don't take me word for it:

http://i4siri.com/

The previous issue was that Siri wouldn't work on iPhone 4, not due to the limitations of the iPhone 4 but rather Apple blocked any other Apple device other than the 4S from using the servers to transfer your speech to a commanded response.

I4siri have a workaround now and are using Googles servers to process requests and the Jailbreak version may even end up better than the Apple version as they can add custom Siri commands to say open an app, ask Siri about movies on imdb and more cool stuff.

The sheep need to stop being led along by Apple propaganda and media spins and either research it themselves (free on the Internet) or listen to people like me that have done the research and know the truth.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

read between the lines.

Apple is saying ..we got nothing. we're fresh out of ideas for the Jebus phone 5. You want the old one in a new colour? Fine but anything else ..no can do.

They're borked!

This is all they got.

Why do you think they are suing everyone else.

1. the-it-slayer
      Paris Hilton

Dear oh dear...

You need to take that anti-Apple hat off and look at the realistic situation.

Rumours stalked Apple to release the iPhone 5 in place of the 4S. However, this is not Apple's logic. The 3G got a swanky hardware upgrade as the 3GS within a similar time-frame. And the tech rumoured for the iPhone 5 is not quite mature yet. Siri was perfect to make a tech lacking interactivity back into the spotlight. Siri for the 4S again was perfect timing.

LTE (4G) - Not ready in all of their core countries (USA, UK, Europe). Why release a device ahead of its time? Recipe for disaster and we know Apple likes to be current with any device they release so people understand the reason for the feature. Also, Apple will wait until the correct kit is ready for minimal power usage and fits within the design constraints.

NFC - Again, a concept not many are very comfortable with. Especially the security implecations of digitally paying for an item. Once the tech gets more appealing, Apple will get the release right.

Anything else will be minor upgrades (camera, storage, LCD).

Hey. maybe you should talk to Paris for your next rant. Fits your fantasy world view.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

High expectations

It's funny how people, especially Apple haters, now expect and demand world-beating ideas every single time Apple introduces a new product.

Do you also troll articles about HTC, Samsung, etc. complaining that they're fresh out of ideas and all their new phones bring to the table are slightly bigger screens, slightly faster modems, etc.? My guess: probably not.

17. W.O.Frobozz
    Meh

So much palaver...

...over what amounts to a voice-activated Eliza program.

18. Jean-Paul

LOL @ Eliza :)

Whatever the reason, I can confirm that the 4S, Siri, handsfree on in-phone mic works very well in a convertible. Surprisingly well considering the amount of ambient noise. Further more it also works well in a noisy comms room, it can 'hear' me better than I can hear the other person in a conversation.

19. Wrenchy
    Linux

Would this

be considered.... Fragmentation??

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like