back to article Apple TV surfaces on Best Buy

US electronics retailer Best Buy has begun asking punters if they'd be interested coughing up $1499 for a 42in HD TV from Apple. A customer survey form reprinted by the Verge pitches the notion of a 42in, 1080p LED-backlit telly running iOS. The telly, the form suggests, might provide access to iTunes downloads and rentals, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tiny Iota
    Joke

Michelle of the Resistance

I like the 'Allo 'Allo-esq first line:

Listen very carefully; I shall say zis only once!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iTV?

Let me guess, they are patenting iTV as different to ITV in the UK?

Actually, does ITV still exist (channel 3 on terestrial) or has it been renamed or bought recently?

1. TonyHoyle

ITV definitely exists..it owns 11 of the 15 regional TV broadcasting licenses (and I bet it's going for the others). There are fewer well known brands in the UK. It would be like me trying to release a product called 'Wall-Mart' in the US.

Since all we read is speculation I expect apple have a much more original name.

3. ADJB

You would have thought that...

with all the money Apple has it could afford to do its own market research.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Market research?

They don't need to do any market research.

Just sell it in a stylish, shiny, clear/white box that is so lush people want to keep it alongside the TV. Then, look at similar products in the marketplace, then tack on 30%. Prominent Apple logo. Then use some kind of proprietary tech - e.g. remote control communicates using neutrino's.

Done.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

True to form

"Nothing in the Best Buy description could be hyped up as revolutionary"

Isn't that the norm for Apple Products?

1. Greg J Preece

Doesn't stop them trying! I wonder if they'll call it "magical" too?

5. Deft
    Happy

Upgrade cycle?

Will people want to upgrade their TV as much as their phones / iPads?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sure they will

After all, they'll have Apple logos on them. You HAVE to have the absolute latest Apple product or you're not cool. Then we can be regaled with tales about how "I sold my 3 year old Apple TV for 3x what I paid for it, because Apples are so good."

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

facetime?

surely the webcam would be intended more for (and likely restricted to) facetime rather than skype?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Black Helicopters

pretty handy for the government.

if it cant be turned off.

"pick up that can! respect my authoratai!"

7. big_D Silver badge
    WTF?

Skype?

It runs Microsoft Skype, as opposed to Apple's FaceTime? That sounds a bit fishy...

8. g e
    FAIL

$1499 for a 42" TV?

2005 called, they want their flatscreen TV prices back.

1. ThomH

The way I heard it, 2005 called and said that even in 2005 $1499 was a lot of money for a 42" TV.

That said, it'll just be a number Best Buy pulled from thin air; iPads, iPhones and iPods have always been at least in the same sort of ballpark as the competition.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh good, more re-invention...

"Apple finally reinvents what a TV can do"

Oh good, I'm glad they worked out how to do things I've been doing for years on my decidedly normal 1920x1080 Samsung and HTPC.

If true all they have done is taken a Apple TV box, built it into an average screen (it'll probably be reflective so crap in sunlight) and made a remote control app of the time that's existed for ages from other vendors. Sorry but even comparative simpletons can do more by simply attaching their laptop via HDMI, I see very little point in any kind of "smart" TV, it's all slow and limited.

If only someone would just make a TV line that focussed on screen quality and connectivity ONLY, no stupid "smart" stuff or photos off my crappy USB stick garbage, it just gets in the way for those of us who attach a HTPC/Laptop/Tablet and get more features.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

*yawn*

Ahh jokes about 2005 calling zzzzzzzzz. $1500 is about £950. A quick Google for "Smart 42 inch Sony Bravia" (what I would consider a top brand TV manufacturer) gives prices of around £999. That's not much difference to the price Best Buy are suggesting.

Totally agree that Apple products are overpriced, but don't try pretending that you can get a top brand, high spec TV for only £250. You might be able to snag a Logimatsui or equivalent from Currys or Tesco but its nowhere near the same quality.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes, but it's Apple... And every phule kno that to Apple, $1500 = £1500

2. ThomH

@AC

However, I can go to Amazon and buy a 42" Full HD LG LCD for £370 and an Apple TV box for £90, giving me a total of £460 without even having to leave to Apple ecosystem. LG may be significantly lower down the perceived quality tree than Sony or Apple but they're miles ahead of the supermarket brands.

11. Al Jones

Built in camera might be a good selling point

A webcam seems like the most obvious accessory that you'd want with an internet connected TV, so it's typical of the shortsighted approach of all the other major TV manufacturers that you can't have one at a reasonable price - $150 for the Logitech TV Cam isn't exactly an appealing option for something that you might only use occasionally. Building a camera into the TV might help people convince themselves that they need this TV, even if they end up never using that feature.

The price is high, but not outrageous for the label conscious, and they'll have no problem selling enough at that price for the media to gush about how Apple is redefining the TV.

12. YARR
    Unhappy

Boring...

So no mention of an integrated Kinect-style gesture control interface to make remote controls redundant?

1. Goat Jam

No

Thank god.

13. Christian Berger

Not revolutionary?

What do you expect, Apple has stopped bringing out revolutionary devices shortly after Jobs came into power. Their last revolutionary product was a laptop with a handle.

14. simonjon
    Terminator

Lack of revolution won't stop it selling

"Nothing in the Best Buy description could be hyped up as revolutionary." Correct, but that won't stop Apple from saying it's unlocked the 50% of the optic nerve that you never use (or similar cobblers).

"Skype?" sez Apple, "what's that?".

It will probably have a good rez screen, not that this will magically make iTunes video content decent quality anytime soon.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like