back to article Apple iPad beats Amazon Kindle Fire in satisfaction survey

iPad owners are happier with their tablets than folk with other fondleslabs are with theirs, recent research reveals. The data comes from US-based pollster ChangeWave. It asked tablet owners last month how satisfied they were with their tablets. Some 74 per cent of iPad owners gave the Apple gadget the thumbs up, but only 54 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Joe K
    Flame

Yawn

I'm thinking RegHardware should now be renamed to RegApple.

1. Silverburn
      Trollface

I'm thinking Joe K should now be renamed to Troll K.

2. ElNumbre
    Stop

Statistically Significant?

I don't think a survey of that size is statistically significant, is it? How many iPad owners were there.

It would be interesting to understand why 56% of people were less than satisfied with the Fire - did they buy them thinking they were full tablets, expecting an 'Apple' experience, or is there something more significant in terms of build quality or service?

3. Northern Fop
    Holmes

meh

The headline should have been:

Customers with 2nd generation product with umpteen software updates happier than customers with first generation product with no significant updates SHOCKER.

But shorter.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

how about

of 200 people surveyed outside an Apple store, most were happy with their i-Pads

London is a city of 6million, to be a proportionate survey here would need at least 200,000 plus

1. John H Woods Silver badge

learn some stats...

... before opining on sample size. Hint: around 2000 *randomly* chosen voters is sufficient to get +/- 3% polls for *national* elections.

5. g e
    Trollface

Meh

Like an Apple device owner would ever CONSIDER scoring it less than 11 out of 10 even if they secretly hated it.

It would be an admission to themselves that they bought techno-tat if nothing else and there one thing an Appleist hates above 'being wrong'...

** Seen to be 'being wrong'. **

Troll cos, well it's not a pro Apple missive (as if mine ever are) so I must be, right?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I suspect most Kindle Fire purchases actually wish they had paid the extra for an iPad - the reality is side-by-side if the price were the same 99.5% of people would buy the iPad.

Even though the iPad is twice the price it is still the tablet they wished they had bought or could afford.

I recon Apple should offer 'finance' - suspect if it came down to £4 a week for an iPad or £2 a week for a Fire they would sell even more iPads.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

"side-by-side if the price were the same 99.5% of people would buy the iPad."

And if First Class cost the same as Standard, most people would go for First class. What's your point?

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Like an Apple device owner would ever CONSIDER scoring it less than 11 out of 10 even if they secretly hated it. It would be an admission to themselves that they bought techno-tat if nothing else and there one thing an Appleist hates above 'being wrong'..."

Same for Fire purchasers then - surely they would not admit to buying a Fire because they were too tight / could not afford the iPad (which was the one they really wanted).

1. g e
      Go

I'd get a Fire, yeah

Dirt cheap, root it, fit Android, etc. Not at all 'ashamed' of not overspending on shiny gadget. Eminently sensible if you ask me but...

I've not seen a tablet from anyone yet that makes me think 'must have', though. The Transformer Prime is kinda nice, the SONY tablet seems good too as does the Galaxy (bar the stupid connections) but must have? No. Not one of them.

I'd still need a laptop to Get Things Done and my Desire HD does a fine job for reading email and other 'tabletty' bits and pieces (like tunes, satnav, reminders, farcebook, G+, ebay, etc) on the move. No way do I need to cart around another gadget that doesn't do some things the phone does and doesn't do a load of things the laptop does and pay hundreds for the privilege. That's just daft.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Everyone loves Apple as much as I do and they're only pretending not to like the precious because they're all too poor to afford them. Is that really what you're saying?

Is that how you justify your obsessive attachment to one specific company?

The only person you're fooling is yourself.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"London is a city of 6million, to be a proportionate survey here would need at least 200,000 plus"

You are kidding - when they do studies of how people might vote / other market research the sample is often in the hundreds - of course the larger the sample the smaller the error but it's not like we are talking +/- a few percent would make a difference to the story itself.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So android owners care less about the label, and have more demanding expectations. What's new?

12. Dilbert1969
    Boffin

Umm psychological

Let's see you've paid $199 or you've paid $499 for something that does similar things.

You will be less likely to complain about the more expensive one - or excuse it some how when it doesn't quite do what you want. You have to justify the expense - even to yourself.

13. Dave Jewell
    Holmes

No big surprises here then….

At the end of the day, the iPad is a general purpose hand-held Mac with tens of thousands of available apps. The Kindle is a book reader. Period. So is it any wonder that iPads get a higher satisfaction rating?

Yes, the Kindle Fire sports a colour screen, but you can't buy it from Amazon here in the UK which doesn't make for a high customer satisfaction coefficient. Oh, and did I mention that I flogged my black and white Kindle on eBay as soon as I realised that I could just install the Kindle app for iOS? That way, I got to keep my Kindle books and all my PDF files are now in glorious technicolour. Very satisfying.

And In the run up to Xmas 2010, I got £40 more than I paid for it because everybody wanted one and Amazon had run out. Lol. Now THAT did give me enormous customer satisfaction…. :-))

14. Stevie

Bah!

This just in: bicycle pumps more popular than potato peelers!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

In other news....

More Porche owners are satisfied with their cars than those who bought Ford Fiestas.

1. ElNumbre
      Thumb Up

Clarification

I think a clarifcation is required.

It should read 'German Sportscar Enthusiasts were surveyed...'

16. squilookle
    Alien

I'm aware that both devices are luxuries as very few people really *need* a tablet, but I suspect that those that stumped up the money for an iPad would be more likely to want an iPad, while those that got the Kindle Fire simply wanted a tablet.

I would argue further that those that went for their specific tablet are more likely to identify with it emotionally and therefore to tell a survey they are satisfied with it.

Or, maybe you just get what you pay for?*

*I'm not an Apple fan and think the iPad is over priced, but that's my opinion, not fact.

17. Kaotiq

And in other shock news today scientologists were surveyed as being happier giving their money to their church than anglicans were.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yes but

The Android owners are likely to be more critical than the Apple owners as there is none of that 'aspirational brand' bullshit that gives you the feeling of superiority.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like