back to article Ukraine file-sharing site disappears

Microsoft Ukraine has disclaimed responsibility for the shut-down of Ukranian file-sharing site Ex.ua, which that country’s government has shuttered for copyright infringement. The shut-down has triggered the usual round of attacks on government Websites in that country. According to the Kyiv Post, Ukrania’s interior ministry …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. I'm Brian and so's my wife
    Boffin

Units please!

6000 TB? That's all well & good, but how high would the equivalent pile of sheets of A4 be?

Or since it's 2012 and we're encumbered with a huge debt and the threat of public transport meltdown this summer, maybe relate it to Olympic-sized swimming pools somehow?

2. Winkypop Silver badge
    Joke

6,000 TB

Wow, that's a whole lot of Linux distros!

1. FrankAlphaXII
      Coat

And don't forget Amnesty International, EFF, and Greenpeace press releases.

2. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

I was wondering what they're saying was on there - a bluray is 40gb max, so ~5% of a terabyte... even the most egregious of Adobe applications doesn't touch 2gb - so .25% give or take, if my late-night sleep-deprived brain has gotten it right. Games probably average about 5gb, so .7% to be generous.

So say you mix it up and you've got 3000tb of movies, 1000tb of apps, and 2000tb of games. The math goes chunkachunka and you have:

60,000 movies

40,000 apps

28,000 games

That's a big bag of swag they've got right there.

...*considers* ...Have there *been* 60,000 movies? I guess if you include Bollywood...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another one bites the dick

Going, going, Gone!

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Saucerhead Tharpe
    FAIL

Register still using same epithet for copyright infringers as Linux users

Never mind the ethics of using any derogatory comment based on the word "retard" as applied to a person

Ah fuck it

If The Reg had a subscription I'd be cancelling mine

1. Silverburn

Bye now.

2. tmTM

No subscription

But still you keep coming back and even bothering to leave a comment as well.

Busy Day?

6. Yag

More related to the Megaupload/SOPA/PIPA case, but...

... got to share this one.

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2508#comic

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

I prefer the hidden message in this SOPA protest..

Hat man is here somewhere

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Obviously

The Copyright holders can afford to pay bigger bribes than the Filesharers.

8. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

The script kiddies might want to be careful...

Attacking government sites when the government is run by ex-gangster and Putin flunky Yanukovich might just be the worst think they ever did. I wouldn't be surprised if a few teenagers find themselves dragged out of bed and beaten to a pulp in the coming weeks or months for this.

9. Tony Paulazzo
    Alien

when you wish upon a star

makes no difference who you are

anything your heart desires

will come to you

Vera Lynne

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Robert J. Portman, we plan to make an example of you...

Never mind DDOSing. What really scares these people is having their REAL identities and personal information spewed across teh interwebs ;) How to modify the behaviour of cowards in suits...

DDOSing is a warning shot. The real fun begins when * start siphoning data from you and publishing it.

11. Steven Pemberton
    Boffin

6000 TB = 1 PB

Can I just point out that since you are writing for professional computer wonks, that it's quite all right to say 6 petabytes rather than 6000 terabytes. We will know what you mean. (And if we don't, we know where to look it up.)

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: 6000 TB = 1 PB

Says the chap who suggests 6000 TB = 1 PB :-)

1. NickyD
        Joke

Am I the only one...

who read "6000 TB = 1 PB" as = 1 Pirate Bay?

12. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

No deduplication...

That is probably why they have 6,000TB of swag. If I were to run a Usenet server, or file sharing site, or whatever, I'd definitely invest in deduplication -- either in hardware or software. Because, honestly, what they probably have is like 50 different people putting up the new..umm... Linux distro... yeah. And 35 copies of the other one. And so on.

For those who don't know, deduplication compares new data to existing data (either at the whole-file or the block level), and if the data is identical, only physically stores one copy. (Well, hopefully at least 2 copies, in case of a disk failure.) The upside? Potentially massive reduction in storage used. The downside? All that extra CPU time, disk I/O, and housekeeping to determine what can be deduplicated. Deduplication is either done real-time (reducing write speeds, perhaps considerably) or as a batch process (so you get essentially full speeds when you need it, and queue up the deduplication to happen at 2AM or whatever when your disks are at minimal load anyway.)

13. Chris 228

Poof - gone in a heartbeat

Nothing surprises me about the Ukraine. Maybe the perp was shot or shipped to Siberia for a Winter "holiday"?

14. Grease Monkey Silver badge

The DDOS attacjs are a PR disaster for the freetards again.

How do you convince Joe Public that you're not doing anything illegal? By doing something illegal.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like