back to article Sky to open net telly channels to all

Sky is to enter the IPTV arena with an internet-hosted TV service of its own. The station will launch before July this year, the satellite broadcaster pledged, and it'll see many of Sky's existing channels, including Sky Movies, being streamed over the net to a range of devices. Sky promised owners of "PCs, Macs, laptops, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No Thanks

You can keep the Rupert "Ming" Murdoch empire

2. EddieD

I'd better buy my long spoon now...

'Cos if they stream Sky F1 as pay to view, I'm there...

1. Can't think of anything witty...
      FAIL

How much would you pay?

Just interested here. To add Sky Sports to your package is around is £20 per month. That is £240 / year (assuming that you don't already have a basic package, which is £20/month, so double this cost if you are a new subscriber).

Divide the cost by the 10 races that are sky exclusive, and that is £24/race, or £48/race if you are not an existing customer - and i'd assume that they are targeting new / non customers at this point, so perhaps the latter is more likely.

I don't know if they would offer it more cheaply than my rather simple estimate suggests (as you won't be subsidising the football) or more expensively (as you won't be signing a contract and therefore may only spend that cash once).

or they could just run it at a loss for 3 years until they get the last of the races from the BBC and then put the price up accordingly. What do you reckon?

1. EddieD

For me, a Sky package is not an option - I don't have a telly :)

All I watch, I stream via iPlayer/4OD/Tvcatchup - and FWIW, I do have a tv license...

I think that certainly for the first few races, they'll offer them at a loss-leading price - to tempt the terrestrial viewers.

How much would I pay - which was your question, after all - I'd go a fiver a race - maybe a tenner if it's a particularly good one, or, the start of the season - any more than that, I'm willing to wait and watch the catch ups - I became a fan in the very early 70s, when coverage was scant, at best. Towards the end of last year, I started connecting only about 3 mins before the start of the race, and ignored all the build up, it's the race that's important, all the other flim flam I can get from the net.

All the best,

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@EddieD

"All I watch, I stream via iPlayer/4OD/Tvcatchup - and FWIW, I do have a tv license..."

You must have a lot more money than sense then, because if you're only watching catch-up TV and no live TV then you don't need a licence.

1. EddieD

I do - or at least did - watch live telly - the Formula 1 coverage.

2. Naughtyhorse

if it's a particularly good one

so i take it you have not watched any F1 since the early 80's

:-)

glad i kicked it to the kerb last year.

2. Shaun 1

The current Sky Go online package that is entertainment + sports is £35 a month.

It's a monthly contract and the season lasts 8 months.

I calculate that at £280 for the season

Assuming that you can get the basic package (£15) and add SSF1 (£10, I think on Freeview)

£25 * 8 = £200, or £20 a race, assuming Bahrain goes ahead

3. Florence

Why just assume things when it's all available online..

http://f1.sky.com/#our-new-channel

Free to Sky Sports and Sky HD customers.

Obviously if you don't currently subscribe to Sky, Sky F1 remains very expensive, since you need a £20 TV package + £10 HD pack.

Now that website is a dog and won't display properly in Opera, so I can't see if there's an option for the F1 channel only - it doesn't look like it.

I wonder how much longer they can keep charging for the HD package. Yes I'd like my HD box with a bigger HDD, but £10 a month when Freeview HD is widely available...

4. commonsense

But...

You don't need the Sky Sports subscription for the F1 channel. The basic HD pack subscription is all you need.

5. toffer99

and the BBC

Compare and contrast with the BBC. Pay £150 per year for all TV, Radio, humongous Website, podcasts, free Iplayer repeats, stacks of great original content that you actually want to watch.

And the Cabinet of Millionaires wanted to sell it to their chum, the Dirty Digger that was. For the time being they can't do that.

You've got to watch the 1%, their grannies are already sold, NHS on the way. If you don't like it shout out! You won't know what you've lost till its gone.

6. David Beck

You don't need to subscribe to Sports to get the F1 channel

If you have the HD package you get the F1 channel, the HD packed is an extra £10.25 if you are not currently an HD subscriber. So the costs for F1 are either £0 if you have HD or £123/year if you are not or £360/year if you are not a Sky subscriber.

Alternatively, if you have a dish you can point it at the Astra 19.2 site and watch on RTL while listing to Radio 5 Live coverage.

Expect a Sky price increase in September 2012 as they have published a freeze until then and quite a lot of content has been added in the past year, some of which is even watchable.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

I'm betting not.

As the F1 coverage is the only thing worth watching on Sky. I'm certainly not prepared to buy premiership football Sky Sports package to watch F1.

I'm still pushing ahead with my plans to pickup the RTL feed from Astra 1 19E

http://robssatellitetv.webs.com/freetvformula1.htm

3. Tokoloshe

Sky F1 channel 'free' for HD subscribers...

and as HD costs £10/mth, it's cheaper than buying the sports package either on its own (£20/mth) or in addition to Sky Movies (£12/mth).

3. Shaun 1
    Stop

I thought they already did this

I've been looking into this for a while and they seem to do this anyway

"With a Sky Go Monthly Ticket you can enjoy great TV from Sky online or on the move without an annual contract or dish - you won't even need an engineer visit. "

1. Daf L

Pay-per-view

But isn't this a pay per programme/movie rather than a monthly access pass?

4. Marty
    Alien

sky....

it costs me 42 quid a month for the full hit of movies and sports on sky.....

the trick is to call them and threaten to end your subscription every so often, muttering about hd content on freesat. Just let them talk you into staying... the bribes can be quite good.

1. Stephen 2

Agreed, haggle with them if you want a discount

When I did it, they refused to do anything so I just had to play along with the cancellation and then at the last moment they finally made an offer. This was a couple of years ago, I don't have Sky anymore.

"Sky to open net telly channels to all" - Anyone know if this means 'to all' or if it's going to be restricted to UK IP addresses?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I have heard about this before... and it is one of my main gripes...they reward customers who kick up a stink more than those who just pay the bill each month. It seems like an odd way of rewarding loyal customers, by ignoring them and just giving discounts to those who shout loudest...

(not having a go at you by the way.. it is the culture at Sky that makes it worth your while to make that call every few months that annoys me...)

1. King Jack
        Holmes

It is standard business practice with anything that is subscribed to. Magazines do it all the time with low rates for new blood and free gifts, while the loyal subscriber gets nothing. It pays to cancel and renew every so often.

1. Greg 16
          Thumb Up

You don't even have to completely cancel. Sky takes 30 days to end your contract. As long as you phone up and say the magic 'cancelling' word you get Sky half price whatever your package. I've had half price Sky constantly for years now.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Content is not the only hurdle

"Both streaming services are hindered by the limited range of material they offer to watch"

and more importnatly to many are completely useless outside areas with proper broadband speeds and low contention ratios. This will also limit Sky in this regard as it does iPlayer etc.

Long live Freeview HD (although I was perfectly happy with analogue TTV)

1. Tim #3

and don't forget that a load of people streaming Sky will further clog up the overburdened infrastructure and hence impact upon the places that at present are lucky enough to have these proper speeds and low contention

6. Tom 7

Maybe F1 will get wise

And sell their own content online. And the same for a few other sports too - OK football will loose out but just because these capitalists like Murdoch hate market forces doesnt mean the rest of us have to suffer.

7. brakepad

F1 pay-per-view

If they decide to offer online PPV of their 10 exclusive F1 races next year at, say, £5 a time, that's £50 they'd get from me that they won't otherwise see a penny of, as I've no intention of spending £30 a month on a Sky HD subscription just to get the F1, along with another STB and remote control that I don't want.

8. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
    Megaphone

TV Vs PC

I've got a 50" HD TV and surround sound (i.e. good speakers), why on earth would I want to watch the same crap on a 15" laptop monitor with shity little speakers?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Because your 50" HD TV isn't portable

Goto: Title

1. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
        Holmes

Neither is my SKY connection....

See title & icon

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

android android android

Sky's continual "it's coming" is becoming boring

1. Rob

According to the latest forum post...

... Sky have said that it's sheduled for release next month, I think they underestimated how much need there was to develop an Android version first, but most companies do that nowadays. Marketing 101, look at who has the lion share of the market and develop for it first.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like