back to article Year of the cloud? Not until it can shield world's Mitnicks

Kevin Mitnick has a problem. As the world's number one hacker and the first to be sent to prison for hacking - a whopping sentence for his crimes - his website is an obvious target for script kiddies looking to make their mark. Back in 2009, AT&T dumped Mitnick from its mobile services because, according to him, they couldn't …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

'Virtualization'

Personally I consider "year of the visualization" to be a much better description. The whole "cloud" thing simply sounds too vague and is often based on hype and false assumptions.

1. Cameron Colley

Year of the misunderstanding.

I always thought "cloud computing" was so called because someone didn't want to tell their manager that the symbol on the Visio diagram just meant "Somewhere on the internet which we have no control over." because that sounded insecure -- then the marketing people heard the manager mention the magical cloud they were using.

2. HamsterNet
    Mushroom

the year of vanishing cloud.

This is more likely to be the year the cloud blows away as now the US government can shut your cloud service down if the think they host some copyright infringing content, and the legit customers are all left without any access to their data...

like outsourcing all a company is doing is extending the risks for their business and linking critical functions to the success of another company. All it takes is one of your cloud suppliers to fold and your shafted.

3. Ian 62
    Holmes

Did they pass on any details to law enforcement

Sounds to me like a good potential honey trap.

So all those thousands of attempted hacks, social engineering and whatever else. How many of those attempts have they logged and reported to the relevant authorities?

I suspect the answer is probably none, not worth the effort, etc etc. But then, thats kind of the point isnt it. If you never report a crime, no-one gets caught, because no-one gets caught more people try it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Working around security.

Missing bit. While it may take you a while to work around whatever's been put in place, sometimes longer than going through channels, once you've worked out the shortcut you're quids in for the future.

This applies to everything from getting into a server for a quick shufty at a database, to working out how to get directly into the car park without going outdoors via reception[1].

Also there's the satisfaction to be gained from dropping gravel in the gearboxes of po-faced security types. You can't put a price on that.

[1] A misconfigured access system and a service elevator if you must know.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

But how do you avoid the flash-memory based cameras?

5. Titus Aduxass
    FAIL

Security is a pain in the a**

The Reg is a BRITISH site FFS. It should be "Security is a pain in the a***".

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fools and their cloud

Megaupload had several lagit users and files that people are not going to get back. After the Megaupload takedown, anybody that stores anything on the cloud is a fool.

In fact since payment is being denied to the hosting services, all hosting services are likely to start requiring a deposit up front, just in case. I recommend all charges go against government sites first.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Script Kid

is still live and kickin?!

Kinda figured he'd be @ Gitmo by now

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like