back to article IBM demos new nanotech

Somehow, we still manage to inch-out the limits of Moore’s Law: in a double-whammy to end the week, IBM has demonstrated the smallest carbon nanotube transistor, and has claimed the world’s fastest graphene transistor. The graphene transistor is something of a coup: its 100 GHz capability is the fastest frequency cutoff yet …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't get IBM...

I don't get how the same company that can come up with technology as fantastic as this can also come up with WebSphere.

1. Jess--

It's what usually happens when engineers design software.

IBM seem good at making technological advances but terrible at making things to interface to the new technology

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Jess--

Engineers make it work, other people make it look pretty / easy to use etc

generally engineers are only interested in whether or not it works which can lead to horrible user interfaces

2. Silverburn
    Joke

100Ghz

..but can you overclock it?

1. Anonymous C0ward

Feck that

Can it play Angry Birds?

3. Bronek Kozicki
    Thumb Up

yeah, all right

Without fast memory all these close-to-terahertz range cycles are going to waste; or 90% of transistors will go to cache memory instead of doing actual computations. So IBM, now see if you can make RAM with corresponding low latency, well under 1ns. And at the price point of DRAM, not SRAM.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

Fuckinell Bronek, give them a chance!

What have you done this week then?

2. crowley

memory

Do they not make memory out of transistors anymore then?

4. g e
    WTF?

"utilized to product high performance devices"

Did he really use the noun 'product' as a verb??

It's PRODUCE you numbskull. I bet he's a fan of crappo phrases like 'in-branch', and associated Corporate-verbiage ... more like Copra-verbiage if you ask me ;o)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like