back to article US govt security advice site trashed by hackers

Anonymous and LulzSec members have hacked US government security web site OnGuard Online and defaced it, forcing it offline, in retaliation for the recent MegaUpload takedown and the controversial Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA), the groups have announced. Anonymous has been ramping up its opposition to ACTA on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anomalous Cowturd
    Happy

rm -rf /*

Ouch!

Hope you've got good backups guys.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

LOL

I love it when a plan comes together!

Now I must go and dry my eyes from all that laughing.

2. BristolBachelor Gold badge

"Hope you've got good backups guys.

That's fine, but it would only put back what was there before. It would presumably still have the same weakness as the original, and would be a sitting duck for someone to come along and do the same again; highly embarrasing the 2nd time around!

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

"highly embarrasing the 2nd time around!"

you would think they would patch it before putting back on t'net though. However, I won't be holding my breathe.

2. Anomalous Cowturd
        WTF?

<b><i>italics???</i></b>

<b>YIPPEE</b>

Not for me then... :o(

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

THERE WILL BE

A backlash from this as they have been made to look stupid. Actually very stupid.

But it is deserved, well deserved.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sneak peek at the new website...

Advice on internet security:

Don't do what we did, cause it ain't very secure evidently.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I luv it!

More Antisec members will be shipped off to prison. Sooner, no actually later it would appear, these clowns will figure it out from behind bars.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

cool story bro

More likely, the authora-tahs will make a big deal out of arresting some teen-aged LOIC-ers. Call the news get some black helicopters, play dress up in riot gear, Claim they've arrested "Anonymous" and of course, use this incident as an example of why due process of law, The Constitution and the Bill of Rights are so out of fashion.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Angel

LOL!

Why U mad though?

5. The BigYin
    FAIL

ACTA

Another pernicious and uncalled for piece of legislation that will soon be singed into law by the EU. I'll give them credit for one this, they've made no pretence about this being democratic with their closed meetings and lack of public scrutiny.

When the government turns against the people, what are the people meant to do?

Oh, I see, bend over over and take it. Eh, @AC at 20:48.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The good news is...

...the government has not turned against the people, just the pirates. 95% of the world don't pirate. It's only 5% that feels the entitlement. Courts prove to them daily that they are not entitled. If you chose to pirate it's a bad choice but Bubba will be glad to have you bend over for him.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Instead of trolling El Reg.

Shouldn't you be trying to regain access to all your base?

2. SJRulez

5%

You have to be kidding, it may only be 5% that download the movies although I doubt its that low buts its probably more like 30% in total who benefit from pirate copies by buying them.

If it was as low as 5% then I don't think they industry could say they were losing billions.

1. Bernard M. Orwell
          Thumb Up

@SJRulez

I broadly agree with what you're saying, but be wary of using the industries own figures to support an argument against them. They are well known to vastly exaggerate the damage that piracy is causing to their business (They never say "their business", note, they always pretend its stuggling artists, cf "content creators" who suffer this terrible, terrible crime).

For example, take a look at the case brought against the reincarnation of Limewire, extrapolating from this particular instance it's not a huge leap to realise that the "recording industry", as a whole, are actually daring to claim that piracy, as a whole, is costing them MORE than all the money there is in the entire world.

http://news.slashdot.org/story/10/06/08/159217/riaa-says-limewire-owes-15-trillion

Good, solid figures there, eh?

1. The BigYin

@Bernard M. Orwell

The MegaUpload people were rolling out MegaBox which would have given artists a 90% cut.

Then they got shutdown. Coincidence? https://plus.google.com/u/0/111314089359991626869/posts/HQJxDRiwAWq

I do not for one second think that MegaUpload were swell people I'd want to chug a beer with, but whatever their ills does not mean the MAFIAA are swell people either or even right. These are the very same morons who tried to get home taping outlawed FFS!

They are also the people who claim that Harry Potter lost $165million. Does that make it seem like they are playing fair?

They simply cannot innovate and rather than let a free market decide which companies succeed or fail, the MAFIAA and have laws enacted to maintain the status quo. Our freedoms are being reduced and monetised for the bottom line. That cannot be right in any sane world.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
          Stop

>>If it was as low as 5% then I don't think they industry could say they were losing billions.

Ridiculous. If it was as low as 0.01% then "the industry" would say they were losing billions. This has been ongoing since the invention of "home taping".

1. The BigYin

@Destory All Monster

" This has been ongoing since the invention of "home taping". "

Yes, and home taping killed the music industry in the day, leading to the street being awash with starving musicians and record exces.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Before that.

100 years ago they tried to get sheet music banned, until they got a cut, of course!

I wonder how many people realize that when they buy blank CDs they are paying a levy to the music business to make up for the illegal use they were obviously going to make of these blanks!

It's always been the same.

3. The BigYin
        FAIL

@AC at 22:27

Do you read the drivel you write? I suggest you go read this: Jonathan Coulton. He makes very salient points about the inflated damage and so on.

There is a tension between the demands of culture and the wishes of the creator. We used to solve this by copyright. This gave the creator *a limited time* to make some money, after which culture got control and could do what it wanted. This is why Bach, Shakespeare et al are still so popular. Culture has keep them alive even in death.

Today we have mega-coproates making increasing land-grabs, restricting access and declaring any failure on their part to meet demand as theft. It isn't. They are simply going up against something much bigger than themselves and they must lose.

The balance is shifting too far. Corporate demand should not dictate law, only the will of the people. And if the people decide that some movie/artist/whatever is not worth millions....well that's just tough.

I regularly infringe on copyright and various laws on by-passing security measures. So does just about everyone reading this. For example: have you even ripped a CD to a HDD or MP3 player? That's am offence in the UK. When just about everyone has to break a law just to make use of the stuff they have bought then the law is wrong. The answer is not to make the law bigger, worse and global.

Take you corporate shilling and shove it. Maybe try to grow a pair and post under your usual moniker too.

6. Don Jefe
    Meh

Online "Piracy"

Now don't get me wrong. Years ago I did my share of P2P downloading and did most certainly take content I wasn't paying for; but I do think that the filesharing crowd has been shrinking for years. Content has gotten so cheap that it is easier to buy it rather than steal it.

I think the 5% figure is probably fairly accurate. Only a few are still participating in "unauthorized" downloads of content. Losers who take more than they can ever watch/listen to. That's sad...

The recently proposed laws are stupid though.

1. FreeTard
      Happy

Or....

....you just got older and can now afford to buy the music?

In fairness, almost everyone I know has pirated material in some form at some stage of their lives.

Personally I do not, as I like to have CD's in my hand as they look nice and I can afford it -

plus I lost my ipod a long time ago and cannot be arsed getting another.

As for video piracy, the "industry" needs to get with the program and offer decent content for a decent price, then everyone will pay for it. And no poxy DRM either. I will not pay for DRM'd content.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ass backwards

Stuff like ACTA and SOPA should be illegal, as they are against the principles that laws are supposed to represent.

Strange that pranksters with pseudonyms are more in line with said principles (even if it that may not be their pure intention)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like