back to article Nokia exec praises Brazilian...

Nokia has shipped 1.5bn Series 40 handsets, the milestone unit being snatched up by a Brazilian lass, 21-year-old Mayara Rodrigues. The Finnish phone giant has been selling S40 phones since 1999, when it rolled out the Nokia 7110, the first mobile with a WAP browser - remember that? Nokia Asha 303 Nokia's latest S40: Asha …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Do you want to correct that Tag line?

Seriously - yer wanna? :)

2. Z80
    Alert

I did a quick Google search on the young lady's name but since I'm at work I didn't click on Images...

1. JohnG

I did click on some of the images but I couldn't spot her Nokia S40 or a place where she possibly have hidden it.

3. Frederick Tennant

Nokia, oh dear!

"The Finnish phone giant has been selling S40 phones since 1999, when it rolled out the Nokia 7110, the first mobile with a WAP browser - remember that?"

WAP was one of the reasons why the new generation of smartphone have taken off and left Nokia making phones for the grandparents. WAP has to be the worse internet experience know to man.

4. James 51

WAP

WAP was fine for what it was designed for. The problem is that people were expecting a desktop internet experience and that simply wasn't possible on the handsets (and network infrastructure) available at the time.

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge

Agreed, but also a real problem with WAP is that the websites had to be specially formed to work on it, and not very many were. The ones that I looked at also suffered from serious usability issues.

As far as the 7110 being the first with WAP, I remember the 9110 having WAP, and that came out before the 7110 (but maybe WAP was an update after the first release). The 9110 also had a full browser so it was far more usable, even without Javascript support (although you could view page source so for simple link redirection you could just copy the link from the page source manually)

5. Ian Yates
    Headmaster

When does the axe become a different axe?

Not to belittle Nokia's achievement (their early phones are certainly worth high praise), but apart from the "S40" name, how similar can they really say the original 7110 OS is to the current handsets?

Obviously, the interface (now in colour) is not the deciding factor; but I'd be a little surprised if they still used the same memory control and general libraries after 13 years... If they are, they hats off to them.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

forgive my ignorance... but how exactly did they know who bought the 1.5b's phone? The last time I checked, you could buy Nokia phones from any small phone shop that will give you a manual receipt!

so how sure are they that the young lady did indeed buy the 1.5b's S40 phone? And how sure are they that many of those phones -that made up the 1.5b- aren't in some small shops waiting to be sold?

1. Recaf
      Boffin

Using the same calculation as the UN...

... who calculated the 7 billionth human being by picking a random name out of a hat and with a margin of +/- 1 year.

You know, using a nice accurate, scientific method ;-)

2. Z80

Easy

They saw that she would look good in a publicity photo and then they knew she was the 1.5 billionth.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Exactly.

The real 1.5 billionth customer was Warren Fugg, a 53-year-old accounts clerk, WoW player and weekend naturist who says he is "single but looking".

7. Nick Kew

Ozymandias

A reminder of what Nokia once was!

(and even that what remains of Nokia's good side still produces some good stuff)!

8. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

Yes, you could...

.. but please don't.

If the only positive news about Nokia is that S40 phones are still doing OK, then I'd estimate that Nokia were in deep, viscous doo-doo really, wouldn't you?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like