back to article Thousand-gamer FPS fragfest shoots for world record

A Swedish tech outfit is to pit no fewer than one thousand first-person shooter players against each other simultaneously in a bid to set a world record. Uppsala-based outfit MuchDifferent reached out to the gaming community this week to gather interest in Man Vs Machine, an event which will see developers fight it out against …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. NoneSuch Silver badge

Looks like people are slowly working towards Ender's Game

2. Citizen Kaned

pity...

the game looks so bad. 500 red clones vs 500 blue clones... hmmm

1. SoaG

Not a real game

More like a technology demo. That's why they're talking about it being retro-fit to other games. So no point putting resources into fluff. I'd expect only 1 or 2 (TDM and CP) maps as well.

If this event goes off I'd expect financiers, and other game companies, to be tripping over each other to throw money at them. Then they can choose if they want to flesh out the game or just licence the tech.

Besides, how many different classes does a typical team based shooter have and would having 5-10 different avatars really matter on teams of 1000 fighting off NPCs as described?

3. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

What's EVE Online's record?

I know it's not an FPS, but the idea, and presumably the computing challenge, is similar. Graphics processed on the client, with the server handling object positions, and damage effects. Have they not already got close to the thousand gamers in combat mark?

I'm not into my online gaming, so I don't know if anyone else regularly does things bigger than EVE.

1. K. Adams
      Alert

Largest EVE Online Battle

2010/10/30: 3,110 ships at LXQ2-T:

-- -- Massively@Joystiq:

-- -- -- -- http://massively.joystiq.com/2010/10/30/the-largest-battle-ever-held-in-eve-online-is-going-on-right-now/

2. Raumkraut

I don't know if it's still the record, but according to this 2010 article: http://massively.joystiq.com/2010/10/30/the-largest-battle-ever-held-in-eve-online-is-going-on-right-now/

"The number of players in the system peaked at over 3,110 pilots"

Though I think there needs to be some measure of lagginess taken into account for such records. If Man vs Machine can get thousands of players interacting without noticeable extra lag, that would indeed be something IMO.

4. Ian Yates

MMOFPS

This is where I want to see games like TF2 heading (obviously, with different maps).

The 16/32-player limits were fine in the '90s, but devs need to be supporting more massive games now.

5. NewOld86

The largest FPS ive been involved with was MAG on PS3. That was 64 v 64, graphics werent great and the spawn points take you far away from the action.

Wouldnt mind seeing COD or Battlefield try something similar on consoles this gen.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like