back to article Blogger bully site yanks MPAA's chain in poison-pen letter

The new owner of the domain name Righthaven.com, which until recently belonged to a notorious copyright troll, has used his purchase to openly mock the Motion Picture Ass. of America. The website currently displays a heavily and ironically redacted open letter to MPAA chief Christopher Dodd, and lends support to yesterday's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Rampant Spaniel

Now that

Is how it is done :-)

2. Suburban Inmate

Wikipedia

Didn't really go dark, just had a black sheet thrown over it. Disabling javascript put everything back to normal.

1. The BigYin

/.

whoosh!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well done for missing the point you sanctimonious pillock!

I saw the blackout on several of my favourite sites, I knew about the workarounds but out of respect I refused to bypass the blackouts and did not use the sites for 24 hours. It was no great hardship and in a small, tiny way, I did my bit to support it.

1. Crofty616

RE: AC 13:02

I think you both kinda missed the point, the aim wasnt to stop people from accessing it, it was to raise awareness.

People loading up the page for the first time were made aware of SOPA and what was happening, people who otherwise may not have had any idea. Wiki even gave instructions on how to bypass it on their main page, because once you were made aware of what they were standing up for, the job was done.

Not accessing the website out of principle for the day doesnt really make any difference for what they were trying to achieve.

2. Suburban Inmate
        Boffin

@AC

Dear oh dear. It was just a simple technical observation. I was fully aware of the point of the "blackout", I just did not discuss it in my post. Because it was just a simple technical observation.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Makes you wonder.

What the rest of said

4. Demosthenes
    Thumb Up

Anyone else spot the shout-out at the end?

It was /s/ubtle, but nonetheless!

5. TeeCee Gold badge
    Pint

$3,300?

For an opportunity to really take the piss effectively?

Buy that man a beer!

6. min

i'd definitely buy that man a beer...

if he puts up a donate link on that webpage, i'll happily give him a few quid back. what a man!

7. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Reminds me of Heinrich Heine

He wrote a letter to the editor of a newspaper which read (in translation):

Dear Sir,

The censors ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------idiots--------------------------------------

Yours faithfully

Heinrich Heine

Said it all

8. BristolBachelor Gold badge

Before this version, there was just the nojellyfish logo, saying "...coming soon..." and this comment in the page source:

<!--Oh... you want a hint do you? Very well: "Does your current provider possess a spine?"-->

It would be nice to have a schedule to know when to go back to look for the next episode :)

9. Anonymous Coward 15
    Joke

Extradite him!

Stick him in pound-me-in-the-ass prison!

Showing up the authorities is a crime!

10. Craig 12
    Trollface

Y U NO LINK TO SITE?

1. peter 45
      Happy

Detailed instructions

Highlight righthaven.com

Ctl C

Click in address bar

Ctl V

Enter

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

Or if you're technically minded you could use Firefox'

Highlight righthaven.com.

Right click on highlighted text.

Click on 'open link in new tab'.

1. Vic

Re; Or if you're technically minded you could use Firefox'

Right click on highlighted text.

Drag to tab bar.

Vic.

1. Havin_it

Re[2]; Or if you're technically minded you could use Firefox'

Press Menu key.

Press T.

Any more?

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Now if someone could just explain what the troll icon means...

11. peter 45
    Coat

censorship

I was going to post my fave bits, but decided that quoting the whole letter might cause this site to be closed down for aiding copyright violation

12. kain preacher

███ █████ █████ ███████ ███ █████ ██ █ ███!!!! This comment has been found in violation of H.R. 3261, S.O.P.A and Senate Bill 968, P.I.P.A. and has been censored for your benefit.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

YAWN...

These protests are wasted energy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's right.

It's far better to pull the quilt over your head and pretend there's nothing wrong in the world.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

...or

...pull your head outta your ARSE and go about changing laws properly. What a concept.

1. Steven Roper
          FAIL

Oh yeah

How about you explain how to "go about changing laws properly" if not by popular protest? Instead of just foaming at the mouth and ranting like a retard. What a concept.

2. kain preacher

Come on you can troll better than that.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How's that Dope & Chains working for ya?

Denial has never been an effective legal defense.

15. mhenriday
    Pint

Great letter - almost up to the Heinrich Heine precedent !

(The greater subtlety of this latter is perhaps due to the fact that it was directed to a more sophisticated and better educated public than today's.) Being unsophisticated myself, I do hope that WikiLeaks will get hold of of the original and publish it unredacted, so that we can see what's hiding under all that black ink....

Henri

16. Cobbydaler
    Holmes

Click to uncensor...

Click on the document to remove the redaction!

This topic is closed for new posts.