back to article Dizzy: the Ultimate Cartoon Adventure Part Deux

For my money, one of the greatest games ever made for the Amstrad CPC was Fantasy World Dizzy. At age seven, I was positively ravenous for my fix of Dizzy's latest adventures, and my brimming fervour to play it was good training wheels for the likes of Sonic 2 and Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition. Fantasy World …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Amstrad CPC

Shame the Fantasy World Dizzy screenshots are from a 16 bit version and not the CPC.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Steve Evans

Others are from the spectrum version, you can tell from the horrible colour attribute bleeding and simplified border to try to avoid it. The CPC's video chip was the far more capable 6845 which it shared with the BBC Micro.

1. ThomH

Technological pedant says...

The 6845 is pretty much just an address generator (though for completeness, it also generates sync and a hardware cursor); it's up to other components to figure out what to do with the address. The CPC swaps some of the bits around to give linear scan lines — a huge improvement on the BBC — fetches the byte and applies the current entries from its three-levels-per-channel 27 colour palette — also a huge improvement on the BBC.

So, technically, the 6845 isn't the cause of the CPC's superior colour handling.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yolkfolk

Yolkfolk was great on a DOS machine in VGA.

A nice little game well worth throwing a DosBox up for.

3. Annihilator
    Paris Hilton

Is this it?

No mention of Crystal Kingdom Dizzy, or Bubble Dizzy then? Or the truly abominable Dizzy Down The Rapids?

1. The Indomitable Gall

Particularly noteworthy...

The noteworthy thing about these three is that I believe they're all parts of the NES release "The Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy". It had multiple worlds, and a the end of one, Dizzy was made to walk the plank by a pirate, and had to escape from the sea by jumping on bubbles. I don't know what the reason was for the Toobin' clone stage (that became Dizzy Down the Rapids).

4. ThomH

Could you not have bought Fantastic Dizzy?

Being a Mega Drive version of Dizzy, and in many respects a greatest hits package?

5. Ian Ferguson
    Happy

Fantasy World Dizzy

Loved this one (played the PC version). Completed it multiple times, although I was never aware of that cowpat cheat.

However... I could never find the 30th bastarding coin. Collected 29 coins, and one more was marked on the map on the old oak tree screen, but could never figure out how to get it. I suspect it was a bug with the PC version.

Doubt I'd have the patience for such a relentlessly pixel-perfect-movement punishing game nowadays.

6. Anonymous Freetard
    Pirate

Best game I ever played on CPC was Sorcery, closely followed by Knightlore. PS Anyone want to buy issue 1 of Amstrad Action?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

Amstrad Action

You could donate that copy of AA1 to Future Publishing to remind them what a good magazines they used to produce and to remind them that without AA none of them would have jobs.

Ironic that their first magazine was required to have "NOT AN OFFICIAL AMSTRAD PUBLICATION" printed on the cover when these days they churn out "Official" magazines that are so bland it hurts.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like