back to article Skype is coming to Windows Phone - really

Skype has again promised to slip its eponymous telephony application into Windows Phone handsets real soon - while integrating with Facebook and working out what people might actually pay for. The pledge emerged from last week's consumerism carnival (CES 2012) after a sycophantic interviewer buttered up Skype's VP of Products …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Isn't it about time they put Skype onto non-Verizon BlackBerries?

2. dotdavid
    Meh

Skype has been on Android for a while now, but apart from playing around with it for an hour or so I don't run it anymore - mainly as it drained the battery too much when I last tried it.

Since a lot of people (in the UK at least) get all those free minutes and don't have too many international friends to call, I can't see Skype being a major competitor to the telcos yet. Unless maybe they start selling smartphones like telcos do - i.e. subsidised and with Skype handling the telephony stuff instead of the carrier. But even then they'll have to fix the battery usage.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's not just about voice...

...I think those that have Skype for family and friends calls are also interested in the Video Call aspect which can be considered a better selling point than using your free minutes on a voice call, seeing as both are free.

3. Chad H.

Well

I'm sure all six Windows Phone users will be exited.

1. Dave's Jubblies

Where to begin...

Do I start with the old, crap, outdated joke, or the spelling...?

Hmm...

1. hplasm
        Windows

It's not hard to spell W.i.n.d.o.w.s

2. dogged

I love these "all six" jokes

Because they're totally correct and all minority operating systems should be immediately wiped from the planet. If it's not selling bazillions, it's trash.

Goodbye Linux and MacOSX!

Oh wait...

1. Tim Bates

Re: I love these "all six" jokes

Windows Phone's lack of sales is not just about lack of sales. The big part of the "joke" is that MS basically pushed away the sizable group of Windows Mobile users they already had in an effort to make their OS more iPhone style.

A common comment about WP7 was along the lines of, "If I have to ditch all my Windows Mobile software, I may aswell go to Android."

1. Dave's Jubblies
          FAIL

really?

You honestly think they moved changed OS inorder to make their OS 'more iphone style'?

Have you used wm6.x and wp7? Clearly not, cos if you had, then you would realise that 6.x had more in common with the iphone than 7 does...

2. Chad H.

@dogged

Its got nothing to do with "wiping them off the planet", more to the lack of real news-ability of reporting that some software is belatedly going to come to a particular also-ran phone OS.

3. Shaun 1
      FAIL

Including myself, I know 6 people with Windows Phones.

I find it hard to believe that all the WP7 users in the world are somehow connected to me

1. TeeCee Gold badge
        Coat

You are Kevin Bacon and ICMFP!

2. Mediocrates
        Coat

"I find it hard to believe that all the WP7 users in the world are somehow connected to me"

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Mine's the one with the Dark Helmet

4. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

Isn't this a bit late?

Now, pardon my ignorance but I kind of assumed that this was already available on the windows phone.

Considering how a Skype client even runs smoothly on a psp and how Microsoft have bought the entire company last year I think its actually a bit surprising to learn that it isn't already available. It seems Android supports it, so why not WP7 right after launch date?

1. Tim Bates

It was on WM6

They released a (beta?) version for Windows Mobile 6 a while back, but then dropped it when MS decided no one needed to run their old software on their shiny new phones.

5. Andy Johnson
    Unhappy

Never

I used to use Skype even for paid for calls, but one day all the credit went from my account. Despite me only using the iphone client for the last couple of years, Skype said it was my fault I lost the money and that I must have let some malware steal the details from my PC. They weren't interested in the 2 firewalls that sit between me logging onto their site or the AV protection I had installed or the strong password I'd used. It was less than £10 but customer service was less important then making money on my stolen credit...

6. Simbu
    Devil

Yanked from Android, iOS?

<tin hat>

It wouldn't be a massive surprise if Microsoft did this, and instantly gave WP7 an awesome unique selling point. Anyone who wants to call internationally would then be mad not to seriously consider WP7.

The question is, is Skype enough of an emminent presence in the VOIP arena to get away with it?

</tin hat>

Nice to see WP7 continuing it's progress as a serious OS option. Haters aren't obliged to use it, so why hate at all?

1. tirk

Re Yanked from Android, iOS?

But you could only communicate with the small number of other WP7 users. The same argument could (and is) be used for iOS FaceTime, and there are many more iPhone users.

IMO it would be really dumb of MS to pull Skype from other platforms. Being largely platform neutral is it's major adjvantage.

2. ratfox

@tin hat

I think that would clearly go into antitrust domain... Leveraging Skype's market share to pull W7 adoption.

7. Silverburn
    Thumb Up

Xbox + kenetic + skype = win?

I want Skype in the living room for those family -> family weekend calls.

But I don't want another box on the TV (usually with significant restrictions), or under it. So this looks like a good edition? Maybe a tie-in with xbox live, for discounted skype -> normal line rates?

1. Magnus_Pym

You could communicate through the medium of dance, Like bees.

1. It wasnt me
        Pint

Thanks.

You owe me a keyboard.

Have a beer on me though, still got the giggles.

2. Dave's Jubblies

it's coming..

Skype will be on the xbox and kinect soon too...

3. bazza Silver badge

@Silverburn

What you want is a Samsung Smart TV. Thay have Skype built into the telly, webcam and mic too. Seems to work very well indeed. All you need is TV, internet connection and that's it!

1. Jim in Hayward
        IT Angle

Lot's of TV brands have this now. My Panasonic Versa has Skype built in, although one has to purchase the microphone separately. LG has this as well. I don't use it because it is Microsoft tech no. I don't use, purchase or support any Microsoft tech. But to each their own.

8. Paul Shirley

how long till its the only VOIP allowed on WP7?

Wonder if Microsoft have plans to outlaw all other VOIP on WP7. I can believe some in MS planning would see it as a way to drive Skype installs on other platforms, the foundation of some imagined future monopoly. Wouldn't be hard to kill all non-Skype gateways into the system to force Skype installs.

Personally I'm happy with Androids provider agnostic VOIP support and picking my own service provider, who currently undercut Google on pricing.

9. P. Lee

Windows phone not much of a skype selling point

I don't think I've seem many people using it on their phone.

More likely its a dry run for selling windows voip phone hardware to business. I reckon we'll see a Windows ARM desk phone with skype and/or communicator, hooking into exchange/internet/pstn.

As always, competing OS implementations will slowly have their features reduced. That probably doesn't matter too much as google voice rolls out.

1. Magnus_Pym

At last. An actually selling point

Large corporates that already have huge internet pipes between disparate sites can hive off all their intra-company phone calls through Skype, All their phone business through the mobile. Tie that into the corporate PC with additional services and you add a Winphone to the Windows/Office franchise. Now there is a lock-in Microsoft can exploit, err sorry, I mean a USP that Microsoft can sell.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like