back to article Apple offers cash for old kit

Apple has begun paying punters for any of its old products they own but no longer want. The service, run on the Mac maker's behalf by German recycling operation Dataserv, allows you to post your kit free of charge to the company and, if the gadget is in good working order and, if it has one, an unbroken screen, you'll get a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

63 sheets for a 15" Macbook Pro? Fuck that. Put it on eBay and get five times as much.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

SAVES ADVERTISING

A major recall of dangerous goods and exploding batteries. Now we know what they are really worth

2. Gordon 10
    FAIL

Less than ebay

and all the other phone recyclers.

1. Northern Fop
      Devil

An iFan-pleasing service

After all, no fruit fancier likes to feel as though they've got a *good* deal, do they?

3. EddieD

Bloody hell..

First we overcharge for MOR tech, then we underreward for recycling....

7quid for an original iPhone in perfect order? Sod that. Put it in its original box, put it in the back of a cupboard, wait till your grandkids are skint and auction it...

Oddly, there was a good article on Radio4 about the future value of old mobies, and which to collect (not many, yet) a few days ago.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

What a swizz

Those prices are far worse than what other companies offer. And 63 quid for a Macbook 15". Blimey, Apple really do take us for mugs.

Thankfully Jobs isn't around anymore or he might be planning to lock us in to his recycling walled garden. Sell your old kit back to him or you end up being treated like Samsung.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Coffee/keyboard

Old kit

Stuff can be worth hanging onto of course. All those Amstrad GX4000 games consoles that ended up being sold off for £25 quid in Dixons now go for three times that.

Trouble is you have no idea what will end up being worth something in the future. Hindsight says it wasn't the best idea to buy up the entire stock of Orics...........

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Packrats ahoy..

I was really upset when I saw what an Apple Lisa complete with 10Mb hard drive would sell for. Especially when I remember the one I skipped in the late 80s.

2. Thomas 4

GX4000

The consoles themselves aren't too hard to find but the games themselves, that's serious money, especially if it's still boxed.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Headmaster

GX4000 Games

Don't remind me. I binned all of mine along with my Atari Lynx and rare copy of Lemmings about 10 years ago.

Although my carts live on as my GX4000 carts were dumped by a guy in the 90's who had built a reader. So if you download Switchblade, it's my cart you are playing.

6. Southern
    Thumb Up

In fairness, Apple aren't the only ones offering you next to nothing for workable, useable 2nd hand technology and the first comment is correct; you can make more money by using an auction site.

I had my 2007 Aluminium iMac valued at just over 200GBP by Apple and I sold it for double that to a nice young lady who came round and picked it up for me after using a free web classifieds service.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Spitroasted...

iFans, fscked at both ends.

1. ACx

Spit roasted by Apple. And I thought the Apple only went in the mouth.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And I thought the Apple only went in the mouth.

This is the internet, there are videos.

2. Annihilator
      Alert

Human CentiPad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdR7hCjQNwA

8. Dick Emery
    Thumb Down

Bloody awful prices

I tried to see what I would get for a PC tower with Intel E7300, 4GB DDR2, 250GB HDD (They did not ask about the graphics but it is a silent - read fnaless- 7600GT). They offer £25. Yeah right. Off to Ebay I go!

9. jai

how much...

..for a 1985 Mac Plus with original keyboard and mouse? if I have a dig around I may even have the original floppy disk with the System and Finder on it.

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
      Unhappy

I tried...

...but they don't accept any of the 680x0 Macs. How much am I bid for a IIsi & ImageWriter II?

10. Richard Wharram

They're taking the piss.

Off to eBay \o/

11. Andres

How far back does this go?

I have a couple of Apple Newtons in a cupboard in the garage that could be put towards something a little more up to date.

12. Nya
    Coat

Need to remember...

Apple's got to take 30% off the top of that also...

13. fLaMePrOoF
    Stop

Why?

If you can't be bothered to sell it privately at least take your kit to a CEX store and get a fair price. Don't get ripped of by these sheisters =O/

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@fLaMePrOoF

I agree with your comment up until the fair price bit. CEX do not offer a fair price for anything.

Better than these tosspots, but nowhere near fair.

14. Benny

Problem being?

I wouldnt touch ebay with someone elses, so that won't be happening.

So where, pray tell, can I sell my old Apple goods and still get a decent price? (and by apple goods, I mean actual computers - not fondleslabs)

15. deadlockvictim
    Happy

disposing of old apple stuff

If you've old apple stuff that you'd like to part with, we anally retentives at the LEM Swap List would be happy to buy it from you. The exact URL is available via your friendly local search engine.

16. Toastan Buttar

Sorry for the earworm, but...

We buy any cack dot com.

17. ElReg!comments!Pierre

I <3 that

So if the kit is not functionnal they will just send it to recycling... at no cost. Not even the shipping, from what I read.

I just happen to have 12 old boxen and a couple CRTs (the monitors are in working order; the boxes, not so much) taking up space in the shed. At what time can the Apple truck come pick them up?

18. John A Blackley

Confused

I'm a little confused by all the bitchin' about Apple. (Not really - El Reg could rename itself Bitch About Apple).

I'm not seeing where it says people are to be forced to do this.

1. Eponymous Bastard

Confused

Because people who buy into the Apple dream have to do the right thing don't they because they care so much about the planet and global warming - yeah right don't get me started. So of course those stoners in Cupertino thought it would be a great idea if having been butt-f****d once their customers would like to enjoy that feeling again. Isn't it obvious? You pay a hugely inflated price for a computer which will be obsolete in no time at all because the manufacturer decides that the hardware is not worth supporting any more, which for Apple seems to be about 5 years. I have a wintel laptop which is ten years old and gets used several times a week and works a treat. It would run the latest version of iTunes if I were prepared to install that piece of bloatware on it. Try that on a 10 year old iBook or whatever you call it - FAIL. Built in obsolescence has done wonders for landfill. BTW I have to work with Macs and wintel boxes and the Macs are a total fucking pain in the sphincter and students wonder why I scowl when they have problems with the iBook they've been given because they're dyslexic. I'll get my coat now.

19. chr0m4t1c

Wake up, Reg

This site has been online for over a year now.

And yes, as noted elsewhere, the prices are rubbish.

20. Colin Ritchie
    Paris Hilton

Recycle Macs? Err that is what relatives and friends are for.....

Send a fully functional iMac to Germany for £20? Fuck off. I pass my old kit on to interested relatives and friends who want to dip their toes in the internet without having to fork out for anything more than an ISP subscription. My G3 to G5 iMac cast offs allow folks I know and love, to learn exactly how fun and useful interwebbery is and invariably leads to a more up to date Apple stamped piece of equipment purchased later. Now that is a much more lucrative prospect for the post Jobsian Cult of Smug.

Paris? Cos she has it both ways too I suspect....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like