back to article Fujifilm Finepix X10 compact camera

Pulling out a Fujifilm X10 in mid-conversation will often elicit a rapid change of subject. Common responses include, “Oh, now what sort of camera is that?”, “Is that a Leica?” and frequently, “Let me have a go!”. The last of these is one to be relished as, should you hand over the camera, there’s a very strong possibility that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ian McNee
    Thumb Up

A lovely camera but...

...for a compact it's so darned big!

I've been angsting over a new compact for a while and it was between this and the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5. Both are excellent performers for image quality, features/manual control and build quality. I was tempted by the optical viewfinder of the X10 (the lack of which seems to me to be the LX5's only failing) but when you pop it in a moderately robust case to take into the hills, etc. it's enormous. Also the 24mm wideangle of the LX5 is very handy.

p.s. I know you can get a hotshoe optical finder for the LX5 - but it's £170!

2. BlinkenLights

Square(ish) Pictures

In the age of 16:9 monitors and TVs why are digital cameras still 4:3 by default?

The best thing about the LX5 is the multi-aspect sensor and you can select between 1:1, 4:3, 3:2 and 16:9 with a sliding switch.

1. Jan 0 Silver badge

The LX5 lets the camera preselect which pixels to ignore.

With the X10, you can crop whatever shape you like from all the pixels.

However, a better question might be, why aren't all sensors 1:1? (preferably circular). Then we wouldn't ever need to turn cameras through 90 degrees.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Why aren't all sensors 1:1?

Because back in the film days 1:1 aspect cameras sold terribly.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

If you are looking at shots only on 16:9

then this is not the camera for you.

It is a camera for enthusiasts/pros who want something other than a D-SLR which has some good glass and good sensor. They will not generally use 16:9.

In fact aps-c and full frame sensors are also more used in publications where a 16:9 is usually not a good ratio.

Oh - medium format 6x6 is a 1:1 ratio. The pro digital ones are upwards of 40 megapixels...

In your case, crop is your friend....

:)

3. FutureShock999

Simples

For the simple reason that while 16:9 makes for good video, it is often TERRIBLE as an aspect ratio for a photo composition. The vast majority of photos are of people - either their faces, or their bodies - both of which are usually vertical, and narrow. Unless you have a predilection for landscape photos or panoramas, most of your subjects will want a format that is much closer to square than 16:9.

3. altis2011

And not a single mention of 'orbs'....

;)

1. Dapprman

Nor that the maximum shutter speed goes down as the ISO goes up.

4. The New Turtle
    Coat

Great sounding camera

Clearly not a snap-shooter camera, but a tool for someone who doesn't want to use an SLR.

However. If only they'd put a bigger sensor in it would seem so much more worthwhile. Yes it would have been even bulkier, but I doubt that will affect target market much.

What I wish is that somebody would cotton on that the sort of person who buys a camera at this level doesn't need a zillion modes, heavy in-camera processing (they'll already have a favourite package) and all the rest. Instead that they'd make a camera in which image quality was paramount, with a small number of modes (the classic 4) to make handling effortless, logically places dials and buttons (like this seems to have) fast & sharp 5X optical zoom and an excellent anti-shake system.

I might wait around until this becomes 'last years model' to try to get one at 1/2 price. Jacket because I'm putting my wallet back again.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Lovely looking camera" I thought, until I saw the location of the optical viewfinder, which I think would make operating it a bit of a nose-crushing experience for us left-handers.

1. handle

Left-handers

I'm afraid cameras, especially ones with many controls, are so right hand-centric that there isn't much hope of using them with the left hand anyway. If you use the right hand then you can write notes while taking pictures!

6. A Known Coward
    WTF?

Object of beauty? Stylish? I might find myself in a minority given preceding comments but that has to be the most ugly looking camera I've seen in the last year. I know that beauty is entirely subjective but radical examples like this just serve to remind me how different we as human beings can be.

To potential downvoters, don't downvote me just because you think this is a beautiful looking camera because that would be to ignore everything I've just said.

7. Mark 65

Given Canon's recent announcement it'll be interesting to see if Panasonic provides an update to the LX5 or if they leave it as is to concentrate on the m4/3 models.

This topic is closed for new posts.