back to article Samsung loads Netflix onto smart TVs

CES 2012 Week Samsung has added Netflix to its SmartTV connected telly UI. From today, a Netflix icon will appear in the SmartTV UI's Recommended section. To accompany the addition, Samsung has also updated its connected TV firmware from version 001018 to 001021, but this may not happen before your see the Netflix icon and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Absent
    Alert

Hasn't appeared on my TV yet.

1. Nigel Whitfield.

Which model do you have? I was testing with an 8000 series set; it appeared this morning, but wasn't there yesterday.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Other gadgets are adding links to the service..."

It seems the Wii has got itself a Netflix Channel already - I spotted it as a download option in the Wii Shopping Channel yesterday evening.

Think I might wait to try it - either until £6 a month looks worthwhile, or until our Sony Blu-ray player gets a Netflix option (better picture quality than the Wii). It's spreading, though...

3. Dave's Jubblies

I'm waiting too...

This is not impressive Samsung... Announce that 'it is available' and I'm still waiting...

For NW benefit, it's a 6530 40"-er... Just done a manual update via USB to the latest FW available from Samsung for my tv, took it to ....018... brilliant. and it was dated today!

Not impressed Samsung, not impressed...

1. Dave's Jubblies

should probably make the above clearer... announced on Monday as available wasn't it? So they announce it again today, as available, and lo... still iti aint... If it's going to be drip fed, model by model, at least say so, and let us know when we can get it...

4. David Kelly 2

Buggy

I have had it on my US-spec 46C8000 for the past year or so. Latest firmware and "Samsung Apps". No matter I have a 25M bps cable modem I often have occasional 1/2 second blackouts in video, audio remains fine. An almost certain way to crash the "internet" mode in Netflix is to fast forward to the end of a selection. The set freezes for about 30 seconds then reboots.

5. Adz

Not turned up on my D6530 yet. Although there is a firmware update out today.

6. Dave's Jubblies

Just found this...

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2012/01/12/samsung-uk-adds-netflix/

it appears that the 6530 is going to be the 'bastard son' of samsung tv's...

7. Dave's Jubblies

Should change article title to....

SOME Smart TV's... so far.

I've just been onto Samsung, and it turns out that only 7000+8000 models are being updated at the moment.

They 'have plans' to update other models and BR players, but no date.

So that's months away then, if they can be bothered, given the speed other bug fixes have arrived...

8. Peter Galbavy

As per Dave J's post, my D6530 only got 1018 a day or two ago. According to the download page (http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE46D6530WKXXU-downloads) it was only released on the 10th.

I am, TBH, not that bothered though. I have seen the "quality" of Netflix on a PS3 and I think iPlayer is far far better.

PS It seems that once it appears in the USB downlod page above it is on the 'net for direct update too. Was for me. None of this fiddling with USB and all that lark.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Blinkbox

Anyone managed to get Blinkbox to work?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

An update was available for our D7000 on Wednesday.

Haven't tried Blinkbox or Netflix yet - am busy with a Lovefilm trial at the moment. We don't seem to have a broad enough band for HD video on demand though :(

From the instructions with the Blinkbox subscription, you put in the voucher code Samsung supply when you rent/buy and the price will drop to zero....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like