back to article Pro-Israel hackers threaten tit for tat after credit card leak

Pro-Israel hackers have reportedly breached Saudi shopping sites in retaliation for the publication of Israeli credit-card details by a pro-Palestinian "Saudi" hacker last weekend. A hacker called OxOmar, who claimed to be a member of Saudi hacking group Group-XP, leaked a series of lists supposedly containing the details of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. M7S

New lows being reached all around

As in, no-one on either side appears to be able to claim the moral high ground.

Still that's assymetric warfare for you.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yep

One set of god-botherers fighting against another. This time online!

1. Anomalous Cowturd
        Joke

Oxo Mar?

So, it was Lynda Bellingham then?

I'm here all week!

2. alain williams Silver badge

Please children ...

just grow up and stop fighting. This sort of tit for tat reminds me of 4 year olds who are arguing over a broken biscuit - they just need their heads banging together. I am not interested who started the squabble - I want to know who will stop it.

1. Rippy
      Trollface

Please, Alain

No-one can stop it ... that'd be racist.

G.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The way you describe it applies to many conflicts people and countries get embroiled in.

Unfortunately it seems that once the tit for tat starts no one is ever willing to back down, neither side is prepared to accept they are part of the problem, each has to 'win' and escalation becomes the norm.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hackers should be careful who they poke in the eye with a stick

I'd be willing to bet some hackers pay a mighty high price for attacking Israel.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Really?

Are you suggesting:

a. Israel will invade Saudi Arabia, or

b. Israel will send out ANOTHER gang of murderers to violate international law (e.g. bumping off a Moroccan waiter in Norway by mistake, getting caught trying to kill someone in (IIRC) Saudi (and having to release the Hamas second-in-command & provide an antidote for the poison they'd tipped in someone's ear, or last year's farce in Dubai)?

let me guess: a 'Faux News' watcher. Right?

1. mhenriday
        Big Brother

or c., i e,

bombing yet another scientist in Iran - all of course, in the name of «human rights»... Henri
        1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
          Stop

RE: or c., i e,

"bombing yet another scientist in Iran...." Wow, how far off the topic can you get! Nice of you to leave out that scientist's role, were you trying to imply he was maybe making life-saving medicines? Firstly, he was a nucleur scientist involved in the NPT-breaking enrichment of uranium to levels where it has no civillian role but a clear weapons use. Secondly, seeing as Iran has no precision guidance system capable of hitting missile silos, bunkers or other hardened military targets, any Iranian nuke missile is going to be aimed at a general city area and is highly likely to kill massive numbers of civillians (given the poor record of Iranian missile launches, almost as likely to be Iranian civillians as Israeli or Saudi ones!). So this was a man involved in the production of a weapon designed to kill or irradiate thousands of people at a time, not some "innocent" scientist working for the betterment of mankind. Oh, sorry, did a little background poke the usual holes in your blathering?

1. Local Group
            Mushroom

So the Japanese had every right to enter the US in '43 -'45

wearing Groucho glasses (typically consisting of black horn-rimmed glasses with attached eyebrows, large plastic nose, and bushy moustache), and eliminate the scientists who invented the Atomic Bomb under the Manhattan Project:

Robert Oppenheimer, David Bohm, Leo Szilard, Eugene Wigner, Otto Frisch, Rudolf Peierls, Felix Bloch, Niels Bohr, Emilio Segre, James Franck, Enrico Fermi, Klaus Fuchs and Edward Teller. And you're cool with that?

Tell that to Mrs Teller.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
              Stop

RE: So the Japanese had every right to enter the US in '43 -'45

Don't be childish. If the Japs (or the Germans) had known what the Manhattan Project was about and where it was based at then it is beyond a doubt they would have used all possible resources in attempts stop the program, inlcuding assassination of Allied scientists.

Of course, the Japanese also had development programs for biological weapons (which they tested on the Chinese) and intended using them on West Coast US cities. The Germans had their "Amerika-Bomber" project for attacks on the US, including plans to drop atomic bombs on New York (the Ju390 prototype is claimed to have made a proving flight to within 12 miles of New York in 1944), and an extended-range version of the V2 on the drawingboard. The latter project was delayed by by the Allied bombing of Peenemunde, which delayed the program by about six weeks though it killed only two key rocket scientists.

1. Local Group

I'm surprised you agree.

Scientists, like valuable military officers, are now legitimate targets in times of war or prewar (in other words, all the time). My point was where are we headed, if our best boffins can be assassinated on a hunch or a whim by declared or undeclared enemies? Does it bode well for our future?

No doubt, the Germans had quite a jump on the Allies in the field of rocketry. The flight of the German rocket scientists From the *eastern* to the *western* front at the end of the war is amusing. During the war (like the Iranian physicist) we tried to kill them. After the war we wanted to make sure they landed on our side and we rewarded them quite well. The evil miscreant working on the Plutonium Petard for them is now the avuncular, absent minded professor working for us. (A Hate- Love relationship, no?). This explains why 7 billion people are schitzophrenic.

I wasn't serious about the Groucho glasses. I don't think they were around till the late '50s. :-)

Boffin

RE: I'm surprised you agree.

".....the Germans had quite a jump on the Allies in the field of rocketry....." The Nazi's lead in science is often debated. The difference seems to have been that the Nazis, driven by desperation, pushed any project in an attempt to find a solution that would compensate for their losses on the battlefields post-1942. Meanwhile, the more pragmatic Allies concentrated on projects that could be reasonably expected to be successe in the remaining years the War was likely to last. Much is made of German delta-wing and tailless aircraft research and rocket science, neatly ignoring the fact that both the US and British companies also built similar prototype aircraft (for example, have a look at http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2006/06/stuff_eng_hrubisko_tailless.htm). The Allied approach built war-winning successes like the Tempest and Mustang, which shot down more Me262s than Allied aircraft the German jets managed to destroy, and projects like the conventionally-dropped atom bomb, which did much more to end the War than the V2 rocket.

On the other hand, the Iranian scientists are doing nothing new, they're simply copying technology from other countries and following far behind in the footsteps of the much more advanced West.

1. Local Group
                    Mushroom

I know there's an historically accurate statement here...

>>"projects like the conventionally-dropped atom bomb, which did much more to end the War than the V2 rocket <<

But we can save it for another day. :-)

>>"On the other hand, the Iranian scientists are doing nothing new, they're simply copying technology from other countries and following far behind in the footsteps of the much more advanced West."<<

I agree with you but I'm not put at ease by it. Without rocket expertise, aren't they going to spend their time developing ways of triggering nuclear devices welded between the double hulls of tankers and false backs of containers? We'd have a better shot at an Iranian ballistic missile than a beat up tramp steamer.

Big Brother

RE: I know there's an historically accurate statement here...

".....We'd have a better shot at an Iranian ballistic missile than a beat up tramp steamer." Actually, no. You see, we can track a lot of the Iranian nuke activity by satellite, including tracking radioactive material in transit. Any device shipped out of a current Iranian nuke facility that could avoid detection of the nuke core would need a massive amount of shielding, thus being rather large and heavy. Anything large and heavy would require a large vehicle. I'm betting there are US satellites tracking all vehicles that enter and leave Natanz and similar places, if only on the off-chance of finding a new nuke site. Any large vehicle leaving such a site and proceeding to a port would draw lots of attention to any ships in that port.

1. Local Group

Matt

Well, I hope you're right. The proof will be in the chelo kabab.

I think you might like to see this site.

http://www.foothilltech.org/rgeib/english/orwell/primary_sources/nuremberg.html

WTF?

RE: Matt

"....I think you might like to see this site...." And what has that got to do with the matter in hand? No mention there of hackers, creditcard fraud, missiles or nukes that I can see. Have you been partaking a bit oo much of the new Texan sschoolkid craze (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/01/19/the_choking_game/)?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

FAIL

RE: My bad.

".....I'm disappointed you didn't like that snippet of history....." Yeah, think whatever keeps your little bubble of alternate reality spinning. Whilst you can only warble on about the events, one of my immediate relatives was with the troops that liberated Bergen-Belsen. When I was a kid I stumbled on some of the pictures he took that day, a real eye-opener into the ways of the World.

".....But a word to the wise is sufficient...." You wouldn't know wise if it bit you.

1. Local Group
                                FAIL

"You wouldn't know wise if it bit you."

I know anger and the memorization and regurgitation of talking points isn't wisdom. Nor is glibness without originality. You accuse mhenriday of having anti-Semitic and and anti-Yank chips on his shoulder whilst you range around el reg with pro-Israeli, pro-Yank chips as big as the Ritz.

Then you accuse him getting "far off topic," after which you post: "Of course, the Japanese also had development programs for biological weapons (which they tested on the Chinese) and intended using them on West Coast US cities. The Germans had their "Amerika-Bomber" project for attacks on the US, including plans to drop atomic bombs on New York (the Ju390 prototype is claimed to have made a proving flight to within 12 miles of New York in 1944), and an extended-range version of the V2 on the drawingboard. The latter project was delayed by by the Allied bombing of Peenemunde, which delayed the program by about six weeks though it killed only two key rocket scientists.". Yep, that's right on topic.

When are self-proclaimed intellectuals such as yourself going to learn the door swings both ways, and that aggressive bullying costs them more support than they get? Are you such a fool to think I care what you think.

And btw you are so bereft of sound judgement, you could not admit that the Dreyfus/Manning comparison was perfectly fine for the discussion. You had to go to the gay place to try to tear it down. I let you have the last word then, but now I am reclaiming it. In that case you were just a nerdy high school sophomore whining that you were right.

There is help for your condition, Matt Bryant, and it's not too expensive.

2. mhenriday
            FAIL

From what you write above, dear Mr Bryant,

one would draw the conclusion that all nuclear physicists are legitimate targets for bombing, including those residing and working in Israel and the United States. That is, if what applies to Iranians also applies to residents of Israel and the US, which, unlike Iran, are known to possess nuclear weapons and don't hesitate to threaten to use them («no options off the table». But as evidenced by your many postings on this forum, you don't seem subscribe to the principle of universality, but rather believe that the US/Israeli gander merits a very different sauce from that to be served with the Iranian gander. Pity - but at least the severe keyboard problem which has vitiated so many of your previous postings seems to be in abeyance....

Henri

FAIL

RE: From what you write above, dear Mr Bryant,

"......one would draw the conclusion that all nuclear physicists are legitimate targets for bombing, including those residing and working in Israel...." All civillians in Israel have been targets of Arab terror for years, especially those in the South subjected to Gaza's rocket attacks, though the North has been a lot quieter since Hezbollah had three shades of the brown stuff kicked out of them in 2006 (currently Hezbollah are concentrating more on smuggling weapons out of Syria whilst Assad is still in power). Of course, the much-malligned West Bank barrier has massively reduced the incidents of suicide bombers, not that they expressly targeted nuke scientists, they usually just tried to kill civillians in pizza resteraunts, shopping malls and on buses. The lack of direct targetting of Israelli nuke scientists is down to two factors - Israelli intelligence is a lot better than the Iranians' (obviously), and the Iranians and their puppet regimes are happy just to kill any Jew regardless. If the Iranians had the means to hit back directly at Israelli scientists they would already be trying to do so. Pity that the reality problem still seems to be interefering with your ability to see beyond the anit-Semitic and anti-Yank chips on your shoulder.

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Stop

RE: Really?

".....a. Israel will invade Saudi Arabia...." Unlikely seeing as they both have the same common enemy in Iran and the same common friend-with-money in the US. But, whilst Saudi forces did not (officially) partake in the pan-Arab attempt to eradicate the State of Israel back in 1948, Saudi has been active in many of the petty Arab League tantrums against Israel, including persisting with the boycott of Israeli goods supposedly dropped in 2005.

".....last year's farce in Dubai...." Let's see - top terrorist killed without any bystanders harmed, arms sales to terrorist group disrupted, and all Israeli agents involved safely escaped the scene. Compared to the average Arab attempt that sounds like a resounding success.

"....let me guess...." Just another anti-Semite?

1. Local Group
          Devil

Sounds like a farce to me, Matt.

Actually, it out-Moliere Moliere, no?

Moliere's Misanthrope is a work of fiction. While today Israel's very existence is misanthropic.

Their national identity. Their foreign policy.

You must have seen the video of that parade of Mossad spies who looked like rejects from a Marx Brothers or Woody Allen movie, with their wigs and phony mustaches and Gucci eye glasses

Perhaps pasquinade is a better word than farce.

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Just another anti whatever

Maybe he's just anti Stern Gang?

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge
      WTF?

Paying a high price

Presumable with a credit card?

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Local Group
      Childcatcher

Are you saying that there's a lower price for not attacking Israel?

I thought their policy was 'one price fits all'.

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Devil

Only one side has nukes though...

If this escalates, we will see whether the Saudis fly their US gear better than the Israelis do theirs.

Crazed irate Wahabbis vs. Bonkers irate Zionists ... FIGHT!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

US?

AND UK gear shurely?

Al-Yammahaa (sp?) arms deal (approx 12 million commission received by Baron Thatcher when he accompanied Mummy to Saudi Arabia)

BTW, have the Fraud Squad re-opened the inquiry after the Saudis told them not to be so naughty yet?

Nuclear weapons over oilfields? Even the Israelis aren't that stupid. The government has even been making noises about the religious loons lately after 8-year-old girls were spat at and called 'whores' because they wore school uniform and one man was hauled off a bus because a woman refused to move to the back of a bus (where have I heard that before?)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

re: where you've heard that before

Atlanta. Welcome to the past.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dead hackers don't talk

A message will be sent and received.

6. Paul Johnston

Just a thought!

I've always assumed buying online using a credit card was the sensible way to go. However is there going to be a point where the credit card issuing banks are going to say "with all these details being leaked to the world and his dog so frequently it seems we need to look at other systems".

All well and good setting up secure payment systems but if the details are out in the wild what use are they?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

cyber-attacks are a breach of sovereignty comparable to a terrorist operation

<cough>Stuxnet</cough>

8. Mondo the Magnificent
    Coat

This is so "old testament"

As in an "i" for an "i"

1. Local Group
      WTF?

In the beginining

one bite out of the apple. Scary.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Israel has active capabilities for striking at those who are trying to harm it, and no agency or hacker will be immune from retaliatory action". -- White Phosphor Bombs, DIME weapons?

10. Graham Bartlett
    Facepalm

"Tit for tat"

Isn't that the definition of Mardi Gras bead throws? (That icon isn't a face, it's the left-hand one of a pair...)
This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like