back to article Asus updates netbook line with Intel, AMD chippery

CES 2012 Week Asus has formally outed its next netbook release: the Eee PC Flare series. The Flares are a long cry from the clunky, chunky SCCs of yore - even if the spec isn't. Asus Eee PC 1025C Atom netbook Flare: Eee PC 1025C Yes, we're talking 10.1in, 1024 x 600 display, Windows Starter 7, 1GB of memory, 2.4GHz 802. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. admiraljkb
    Joke

Needs EeePC Girl for proper demo. Just saying...

2. batfastad
    Go

COOL!

Good stuff. The netbook's still my preferred form factor so I'm glad to see it alive and kicking! Decent netbooks though. Not those £100 ones with the big borders around the screen, 3hr battery and horribly slow 8GB SSDs which were probably just a class 2 SD card.

For me "ultrabooks" just don't have the combination of battery life, connectivity (generally lacking ethernet and VGA ports (going with mini DVI or something else requiring an adaptor to plug into a projector)), size (generally having >10/11" diag screen) and low price <= £250.

I'm looking to replace my excellent Asus 1005HA-P which has racked up an incredible number of airmiles. Just over 1Kg was barely noticeable in hand luggage. The battery life was literally 10hrs, week in week out, managing a full week of 45min commutes and easily handling a transatlantic flight every couple of weeks.

So long as Asus keeps pumping netbooks out, I'll keep buying them! Bit concerned about what Win7 will mean for the battery life of these machines though. The only slight criticism I will make about the "seashell" Asus 100x machine that I've got is that the HDD compartment is a pain in the wotsits to get to. I'd take an increase in machine size to be able to slide the HDD out easily without having to remove 20 screws, disconnect delicate ribbon cables and "snap" the keyboard out.

1. Alex Walsh

Completely agree. When the touchpad packed up on my 901, I upgraded to a 1015, which only cost me £149 last summer. It's a great sturdy little thing, not as good as the 901 though, that was pretty much perfect in every way.

3. James 51

Not sure how the Intel and AMD cpus line up against each other but overall the AMD netbook looks more interesting.

1. admiraljkb
      Boffin

@James 51

Well, the Atoms don't do well with heavy multithreaded loads. They don't have out of order execution and other modern features. Found that out the hard way with an embedded product I was working on . Marketing had spec'd Atoms without any research/benchmarking. Turned out they took 1.5 hours to do what a Core2duo 2.3 would do in 15 minutes (SELinux rules updates and Database updates). If you get one of these that's Intel, make sure it has at least a modern i3 or better. Really have to read the labels to make sure which processor.

The AMD's of this lot are modern K10 cores and have all the features of a modern processor. The other part is with the E350's and E450's mentioned, there is a Radeon63xx GPU built into the CPU resulting in good video performance. You won't play Crysis with it, but quite acceptable nonetheless.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Netbook don't cut it for me

An ultraportable is what I need not a netbook or ultrabook POS. Trinity will be my solution and it sure won't be from Asus who continues to crank out half-baked products with all sorts of defects.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cedar Trail WANT

Been waiting for this new gen of netbooks for ages.

Have a fondleslab, but its not what I want - I want a matt screen, an operating system that I can mess with (android is ok, but its what I want from a 10" device, and iOS is even worse).

Just hope they don't want a fortune for these things on launch day....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like