back to article HP unveils glass-cased Ultrabook

CES 2012 Week Hewlett-Packard announced its next entry into the Ultrabook department at CES yesterday, lifting the veil on the Envy 14 Spectre, a laptop with a glass design and NFC capabilities. While the market is still relatively new for NFC uses, HP sees it as an important complementary feature, one that may come to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. AJ MacLeod

Let's just hope it's a bit more reliable than their similar efforts over the past few years... I wouldn't touch one with a bargepole, given the number of relatively new high-end HPs I've seen fail with (usually heat-related) motherboard problems.

As to how thick it is... I couldn't care less - make it thick enough to fit a decent cooling system and fans that aren't made by the Christmas cracker factories in their slack periods.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Analogue volume knob - thank you HP

Does anyone prefer the alternatives?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So long as they've solved the retro problem of contact wear problems, I'm more than happy for a thumb wheel volume.

3. Gil Grissum
    FAIL

POS

POS. Wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Already have a Macbook Pro. Why buy a second rate laptop made of glass from a second rate vendor who's bright idea is to copy the Macbook appearance and then encase it in glass? Good luck with that HP.

4. Ray 11

Lets hope breaking every rule includes crappy low res 1366x768 screens

5. nextcube
    FAIL

No rule-breaking here

Does this mean that Apple can claim to put a 14" resolution screen in an 11.6" laptop? The HP Spectre 14 still has the 1366x768 display... (http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&series_name=ENVY14_series&a1=Category&v1=ENVY) not that they make it easy for you to find that out.

6. Azzy

Are we supposed to be excited by this?

I don't see the 1366x768 resolution spec anywhere, but that'd be a total dealbreaker on a machine like that... What's the point of a larger screen, if you don't give it more pixels, anyway? Unless your target market is in the 50+ age group (thats about when people start complaining about small text, afaict) - and they wouldn't touch something that looked like this (and they read consumer reports anyway, and so wouldn't touch an HP laptop)....

Which brings me to the fact that it's made by HP, which has just about the worst record in laptop reliability, and the fact that they say they squeezed a 14 inch screen into a 13 inch case doesn't give me any more faith that the damned thing will run well.

And... Glass on the palmrest? That's gonna smudge like nobody's business and look horrendous....

Looks ugly too.

While I'm in full support of reducing the bezel around the screen as much as possible, HP seems to have squandered this advantage.

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

NFC in a laptop? WTF?

Sure...I always take my laptop with me when I go shopping. So convenient.

8. Nya
    Thumb Up

Not bad

NFC could prove interesting to communicate with a phone, share contacts etc...once software if there to support it. For now pretty useless but can see one day it being used though.

Looks a nice bit of kit and quiet fancy getting one. But at the moment the Lenovo's seem to be edging it for me so far.

9. rbryanh

Wretched

Pathetic.

When it comes to personal tech, There would appear to be no originality, creativity, or innovation left on earth outside of Cupertino.

10. randombrick
    Facepalm

The iPhone 4S of laptops?

Really?? So anything that now comes glass-encased becomes a copy of the iPhone.

11. Sandtitz Silver badge
    Alert

ALERT! Fanbois at large

Poor Reg, titling this article as "The iPhone 4S of laptops" lured at least two Appletards to the discussion, namely Gil Grissum and rbryanh. If you hadn't associated this piece of hardware to anything Apple related it would have gone under their radars. Just check these guys' posting history and the hatred to anything that even remotely competes with Apple. Pitiful.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I like it.

Looks the canines gentleman parts.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like