back to article Lovefilm knocks a pound off streaming sub

CES 2012 Week Lovefilm is to reduced the price of its most basic subscription package in a bid to compete with the eagerly anticipated arrival of Netflix in the UK. A basic, streaming-only Lovefilm account will now cost £5 a month, down a pound from £6. That package gives punters no access to games or movie discs, but then …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's not about the price - £1 off is insignificant - what matters is who has the better content. Amazon / LoveFILM does have the advantage that for £4 more than Netflix you can get unlimited DVDs and Blu-Rays delivered to you (with newer content).

If the streaming content was similar would much rather pay £4 extra and get DVDs and Blu-Rays delivered - even if it is a bit old-school.

What would be interesting would be if Apple were to do the same!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

original language

i use lovefilm in Germany. but it's mostly useless to me in streaming since they barely offer a couple of movies in original language, not to mention subtitles. i'm sure they have the movie already on their server in original language with subtitles for UK, why don't they have it in Germany the same way. I HATE dubbing, it's a form of censorship. Same problem in itunes :(.

3. Alex Simmons
    Thumb Up

Good by Love film...

Just moved my subscription from love film to Netflix. Love films xbox streaming is very poor, not even half the choice of there website.

So I now have Love film for the pay as you go disks and Netflix for the streaming.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Big_Ted
    Thumb Down

They would have to

They would have to pay me to use their streaming service, the quality is poor and thats when it works at all.....

Major buffering and pixelation is a pain in the arse.

Tried the Netflix offering this morning and it streamed two films one on my tablet and another on my laptop at the same time using the tablet as a wifi hotspot and that was on 3G.

If they can keep that up as the service becomes popular along with their greaer offerings on tv series etc then I can see them as the winners with lovefilm filling the snailmail sector of the market alone unless Amazon incorporate it into the prime service with much better bandwidth when they release the Kindle Fire.

6. SteveK

Doesn't seem to be any sign of a streaming-only option on the Lovefilm website that still wants £5.99/month for 2 hours streaming + 2 disks per month. Or maybe this only shows up if you try and sign up via the app?

7. 0laf
    Thumb Down

Lovefilm streaming?

LoveFilm's streaming service was never good and since the switch to Silverlight I've found it got considerably worse. Pretty much unwatchable to me right now.

1. Anonymous Coward
      IT Angle

Fine here

Watched a few Peep Show episodes at the weekend on it, and it looked identical to the Flash version to me.

8. Pete 6
    Pirate

Bah

I tried to shed the piratey ways so I tried Lovefilm's streaming service a while ago, using my free month that I got on the PS3, and the quality was abysmal. They claim 'DVD Quality' but to believe that you must be blind and deaf. Horrible low resolution blocky video and truly awful compressed-to-death audio.

I phoned up to cancel on the same day, I didn't even have the subscription for 3 hours.

I'd gladly pay for a service that can offer HD streaming, Youtube manages just fine for free, so why can't a paid for service?

9. Neonin
    FAIL

Lovefilm? Hatestreaming more like...

I tried the Lovefilm service after receiving a letter from them offering me a £20 Amazon voucher for doing so. Ignoring the complaints I had to pull to successfully get the voucher (after they left off one of the T&C on the letter and had it in small print on a different section of the website to the one I signed up on) their available content for streaming was very poor. After a week I'd pretty much seen everything I had any interest in on their site, the vast majority being low-budget stuff I'd never heard of and classics I'm not keen on.

The DVD-to-the-door offering was a lot better, but it's the streaming I'm interested in. I shall give Netflix a try at some point.

10. Jacqui

Lovefilm spam

Been getting a lot of third party (sent on behalf on Lovefilm) adverts by whack-a mole spammers.

Reported to some anti-spam mailing lists with no response from LF.

A bargepole comes to mind.

11. Julian 3
    FAIL

Cowboys

Lovefilm is a bit of a cowboy operation that Amazon has never bothered sorting out. They better pull their socks up or Netflix will eat them for breakfast with any luck.

1. brimful

Cowboys?

I disagree. Everytime I've called them, they've been pleasant, helpful, and above all, sorted out the problem. What more could you ask from the customer service department?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's about more than price, LoveFilm

I wish Lovefilm would stream in even a reasonable quality and permit me to "AirPlay" from my iPad to Apple TV - I'd pay a lot more than a pound a month for these things, so NetFlix UK is looking like a bargain!

1. slydog

Apple TV already supports Netflix

@seth.martin No need for Airplay to get Netflix on Apple TV, it's already available as an app under the 'Internet' menu (check you are running latest apple tv software if you can't see it)

13. Jacqui

lovefilm - spam

I am getting a heap of asktips driven lovefilm adverts with reseller clickthrough offers.

Lovefilms position on this blatant spam that it hitting heaps of spamtraps and wrecking thier reputation is that they dont spam and what asktips do is nothing to do with them.

IMHO Lovefilm==desperate spamming f-tards and should be avoided.

You often get a splurge of internet spam before a business goes under - so I expect administrators being called in soon :-)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like