back to article Lenovo pitches two-CPU ThinkPad

Lenovo has outed the first ThinkPad notebook with a secondary processor and operating system for fast-boot internet access. The PC giant also unwrapped its first Ultrabook ThinkPad. The "hybrid" ThinkPad X1, first: it's a 13.3in machine with a choice of Intel Core i3, i5 and i7 CPUs as the main chip. There's a Qualcomm dual- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Code Monkey
    Windows

+1 for not making it silver.

(A self-confessed Thinkpad fanboi)

2. spencer
    WTF?

Don't know what to think of this:

Linux can boot up just as quickly on X86 as it can ARM (with the right settings, distribution, etc). The only reason I can think of is to prolong battery life, but surely with a huge back lit monitor and Wireless/bluetooth etc running would the net power usage be so dramatically different?

Idunno....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A lot of it is processor.

x86 is stupidly power hungry, even atom chips are pretty shit at low power consumption. That's why your laptop body gets hot. Compare a tablet to a netbook (similar sized screens) arm-based tablets have much better battery life.

1. Tomato42

70% of power draw in an otherwise idle laptop is screen

3. MarmiteToast

People don't just whip out their laptop on a bus or the tube to watch a movie, it's just unpractical. It'll always been on longer train rides or planes where you can set it up comfortably and don't mind waiting 20 seconds for windows to boot. It would be better using the budget and space to provide a bigger, longer lasting battery.

1. /dev/null
      Trollface

Why wait for Windows to boot?

Doesn't anybody use Sleep/Hibernate mode?

Works a treat in Mac OS X at least ;-)

4. Swiss
    Meh

Sounds great...

...But might be nice if they could get their x220 laptops to work for more than a microsoft minute first.

Just bought 230 of em for the firm and so far, since being deployed just before Christmas, we have had 23 total failures, Power light's on but nobody home!

Our friendly Lenovo engie, (name withheld to protect his job/sanity/gelled hair style), says it's a known issue, but hey, our Lenovo account manager says no it's not, that's just stupid nonsense! Ah well, 23 so far including two this morning and counting...

Shame as otherwise seem nice bits of kit.

5. Bruno Girin
    Happy

Boot times

But why? My Lenovo X1 running Ubuntu 11.10 boots in less than 10 seconds so why would I want to boot another OS?

6. billybear

Tegra?

It would be good if Nvidia could come up with a way so that a netbook/ultrabook would have a Tegra processor for the Android OS but would also work as a discreet graphics chip suited for HD video and casual gaming when in use with a X86 processor for Windows.

7. dogged
    Thumb Up

Nvidia gfx on an Ultrabook?

Sign me up!

8. Mikel
    Stop

No

Microsoft won't stand for it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like