back to article Fluorescent sow drops glow-in-the-dark piglets

One of the three transgenic "glow-in the dark" pigs born back in 2006 in China's Northeast Agricultural University in Harbin has given birth to fluorescent piglets, indicating the "technology to breed transgenic pigs via cell nuclear transfer is mature", according to professor Liu Zhonghua. The original trio of transgenic …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alistair MacRae
    Coat

Hurray!

BBQing in the dark now you can see where you dropped those sausages.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Glowing Organs...

If I get a glowing Liver replacement, will I be extra fun at the disco?

3. Keith T
    Coat

Sausages

Sausages with a green tint are nothing new.

The unlicensed hot dog stalls have been selling them for years.

But, if they do glow in the dark then a pack of chipolatas will be much cheaper (and easier to biodegrade) than yer average glow-stick.

I'll get me new fluorescent jacket - it's made out of crackling.

4. Richard Rae
    Coat

PC modding turned human

Just imagine all those sad people people can now match their computers..... and cars......

5. Bill Fresher

Climate Change

If humans were given glow in the dark noses imagine all the energy we'd save from the reduced need for artificial lighting. In fact, give humans genetic material from electric eels as well and we could power our gadgets by touch.

6. Anonymous John

This could mean the end of the yellow fluorescent jacket,

if this gene was added to the human race.

7. min

so when can we...

see little Chinese babies with glow in the dark hands?? or maybe athletes even! then we can shut down the floodlights at a night game and watch them buzz about like fireflies.

(yes, i know this is hardly PC, but what the hell, it is early on a wednesday)

8. Louis
    Stop

Glow in the dark?

Do they glow in the dark (i.e. could I use one as a night light?) or are they just florescent under UV light? It's not the same thing. I've really been looking forward to glow in the dark animals so please get it straight.

9. Brian Wright
    Happy

@Keith T

Sounds like a CMOT Dibbler product.

10. TeeCee Gold badge

@Louis

IIRC the Jellyfish genes concerned impart bioluminescence so they do, indeed, glow in the dark.

11. Hans
    Paris Hilton

@ Glowing Organs

re: your liver transplant

Could you please give us more information about how much fun you are at the disco now, to enable us to make this "extra fun" assessment

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Glowing Organs...

I've noticed my organ glowing in the dark sometimes, perhaps I'm related to a mutant Chinese jellyfish?

13. Chris
    Paris Hilton

@ Hans

It's more about what it would add to the general nights festivities, and have more useful than just keeping me alive. I feel that glowing internal organs will aid my Disco fun in a number of ways..

1) I'll be able to see my wallet after dropping it on the floor while propping up a lamppost waiting for a taxi

2) I'll be able to do cool E.T. style glowing-chest tricks to impress the ladies

3) It'll allow me to win many a drink with bar bets.. 'I bet I can make my abdomen glow...'

And other such things.

14. Mountford D

@Hans @Glowing Organs

"Could you please give us more information about how much fun you are at the disco now, to enable us to make this "extra fun" assessment"

I guess @Glowing Organs has this genetic modification:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/27/japan_boffins_breed_mutant_transparent_sunroof_frogs/

15. Paul Buxton

Genetically modified glowing organs in humans...

...would immediately put the novelty condom business into recession.

I'll get my coat.

16. Dan B

@ Louis

"I've been really looking forward to glow in the dark animals so please get it straight"

You've been really looking forward to glow in the dark animals? how strange : for what possible use? :-D

17. Mitch

The real test...

... will be whether or not it is possible to create a red-nosed reindeer.

18. Ben Cross
    Coat

@ mitch..

classic :)

Still glow in the dark piggies sound useful....esp for late night BBQ's as written above.

19. Bog Minot
    Boffin

Glow in the dark cats

"You've been really looking forward to glow in the dark animals? how strange : for what possible use? :-D"

Well, for a start, we could all stop tripping over our cats in the dark !

20. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@ Glow in the dark cats

It'd sure make them easier to kick anyway...

21. Michael
    Coat

Cat = Clay Pigeon

PULL!!

22. E

Forget the cats and piglets...

I'll wait for the glow in the dark women.

23. oxo

@nickj

".. perhaps I'm related .."

Either that or you benn having sex with scyphozoans

24. Ishkandar

@nickj

...or you've contracted a strange form of STD !! However, a more likely explaination is that you have not washed properly and are now harbouring a lot of bioluminescent fungi.

This topic is closed for new posts.