back to article Argentinian commuters fight back

Argentinian commuters have expressed dissatisfaction at their country's privatised rail services, by last night indulging in "arson, looting and fighting" following rush-hour delays at Buenos Aires's Constituçion station. According to The Guardian, enraged passengers "shattered windows, set fire to a ticket sales area, looted …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Duncan Robertson

Ah, that fiery Latin temperament.....

In good old blighty we'd just have formed an orderly queue and waited for the next one. Imagine if the Argies had our railways to contend with.

I wonder what reaction a platform change gets? For God's sake don't let them order anything from the buffet car.....

2. Paul

First Great Western

I wonder if we can recruit these people to travel on First Great (the irony) Western commuter trains. Maybe that would shake FGW out of their complacent, cash rich smugness.

3. Craig

RAGE

I might try this on the way home if the Skipton 17:47 out of Leeds is 3 minuets late AGAIN !!!

Starting with kicking over the Starbucks bin!

Who's with me?

4. Nik Peltekakis

Great

Great Idea, this would work wonders on the Southampton to London line, lets take a leaf out of their book!

5. Rodrigo Rollan

More than meets the eye

I Live in Argentina, in Buenos Aires to be exact. Unfortunatelly this riots are not new to us. We can preety much say that every day people commuting from the outskirts face extended delays, poor or no security conditions, accidents and every single possible thing that can go wrong if you use the train. This "day of fury" was a result of the last drop that spilling the glass.

Public transportation in general is facing major issues because quite honestly, transport operators do not invest to improbe to cope with current demand.

Don´t get me wrong, but we should have kept you British as our train operators when we could !

Regards,

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Waiting for similar news from the UK

It's a pity the news is not from the UK where the problem is actually worse (same level of service but much much more expensive).

7. Simon Day

When I was on a train...

We would have dreamed of just having a broken down train!!

We had to get out and push!! and we didn't riot, oh no...

Thats nothing, we had to lie down in the gaps in the track so the wheels could run over us, crushing us to death while the driver and conductor danced around singing hallehula...

And if you try to tell MPs these days, they don't beleive a word of it...

8. James Penketh

Hah!

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the five-fifteen from *mumble* is canceled due to the wrong type of leaves on the line. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause."

"NYAAAAAAAAGH!!!!" *KA-BOOM*

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Angle

If The Reg can find an IT angle, surely I can find a way to wind up my tango instructor. Oh, wait ...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm ashamed

I'm from Argentina, and this is horrible. The rail co. doesn't invest, people travel like cattle, and not finding the right channels to express their anger they do this...

11. Dan

Trains, Planes & Automobiles

Im a Brit married to an Argentinian, (Argentine-Italian woman to be precise.....yeah yeah I know Im a glutton for punishment but she's great really hehe =) And my wife warned me not to go by train when we went to Buenos Aires last year. She said that they were worse than British Rail. I laughed as I didn't believe her. The Bus services looked to be absolute luxury, (long distance, not local,) but we went did go past one train station in a taxi, (every single one of them driven by a guy who thought he was Maverick from Topgun lol.......for those that have never been to Argentina, you have to experience the driving......its unbelievable,) and I thought the train station was an abandoned building. It looked dark, dingy, and downright dangerous. You couldn't have paid me to go in there. So its no wonder that B.A. residents have issues with the rail service.

Although rioting and setting stuff on fire might be a bit much. But then as someone else said us Brits would just queue up and grumble a bit lol Which probably explains why the wife keeps telling me to be more aggressive in such situations. :)

12. Rodrigo Rollan

more comments from the same place....

I did comment yesterday on this topic, sorry to be sucha nag but news keep coming. Today, the whole subway system (not as big as London´s or Paris, yet vital for our city) are on strike.

Theunion settled last night but workers refused to work today (hey, they had already planned a BBQ for today, this late-night changes of plan are a bit too much).

TIP OF THE DAY: The person who sells tickets at the station earns $ 3300 (US$ 1100) a month for 6 hours. A teacher earns $700 (US$ 233) for 6 hours.......So we´re getting preety dumb at a really cheap price, so we later can work at a train station and get beaten up by the rest.

And the wheel keeps turning...

13. Dan

Not the Commuters

I checked with the wife last night and she said that it was not the commuters doing the damage but a group of agitators that frequently do this in Argentina. Professional political agitators that smash up shops, commit arson, etc, all to advertise their aims. Apparently they are a group of violent, mindless thugs and Nazi's. (Wife's words.)

(Can't remember their name though.)

This topic is closed for new posts.