back to article LG tunes in to Google TV

LG has hopped on the Google TV bandwagon. LG will show off a smart TV loaded with Google's Android-based telly interface at next week's Consumer Electronics Show (CES). The set will do passive 3D, with 2D-to-3D conversion on board. LG said it was not dropping its own IPTV UI, which will be available on more than 60 per cent …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tax dodge

Guaranteed loss maker to hide excess profits. It's the only possible explanation.

Oh yeah, and a 2012 prediction. Towards December, Google will issue a statement. 'To prevent Google Homeview from monitoring your living room, you may wish to disable the camera on your Google TV...'

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh great

Now you can't even watch TV without having Google spying on your viewing habits, to show you ads that are "relevant to you" of course.

Can't wait, especially if it's like yesterday when Google decided I was a good target for ads of some mature dating website showing me image ads of disgusting horny grannies. (note I'm a 30 year old with absolutely no interest on that)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not a football player then?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Have no clue what you're on about AC 11:50. Have footballers gotten bored with underage orgies and moved on to grannie love now?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Both probably

In a car park at Scratchwood

3. Glug
    Meh

The UI is quite slick - but no Silverlight

Had a play with Google TV on an imported Logitech Revue box and was quite impressed with the UI and the experience of browsing the web from the couch using the bundled wireless Logitech K700 keyboard (will these work with these TVs?).

The platform is limited however, for example with no support for Silverlight you can't use Sky Go. Boxee also suffers from this.

Although Silverlight is proprietary and quite possibly on its deathbed, until an IPTV platform comes along that supports it I'll be forced to carry on hooking up a laptop to the TV.

4. dotdavid
    Meh

Hmmm

A "meh" sort of announcement. No-one's gonna go out of their way to buy this telly just for GoogleTV. Without having seen the price, I bet it's one of their higher-end TVs too, so sales aren't exactly going to be through the roof GoogleTV or no GoogleTV.

They should be working out how to get GoogleTV into all tellies, from the cheapest to the most expensive. And particularly the cheapest; if you could buy a GoogleTV box for under £50 to make any telly an IPTV I reckon a lot would go for it.

As it is, it's an overpriced toy. As Logitech discovered when they found the Revue only sold when sold under $100...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like