back to article Will TWO next-gen iPads be unveiled at January's iWorld?

Apple will unveil not one but two iPad 3s on 23 January at the iWorld conference, according to a somewhat unlikely rumour breathlessly reported by gossip pumpers Digitimes. According to moles within the Apple supply chain, one of the next-generation fondleslabs will be higher specced than the other - carving out new product …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will TWO next-gen iPads be unveiled at January's iWorld?

No.

2. jai

No, no they won't

Digitimes are not entirely reliable in their rumour-mongering.

And this has been confirmed by someone which much better sources than Digitimes has access to:

http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/12/29/apple-will-not-release-ipad-3-at-macworld-or-ces/

quote:

"an iPad 3 is not planned for release at Macworld. In case you’re wondering, an iPad 3 won’t be released at CES either. You can also mark a TV off your list for either one of those shows too — it’s not going to happen, according to my sources."

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Heard it here first..

A budget model with a cut down iPad2 camera resolution to 200kp

A high end model with a retina camera with upgraded iPad2 camera resolution to 1.2Mp

Really does someone want to wake Apple up and tell them my Asus Transformer has 10x the camera resolution and 30% more screen pixels than the iPad2.

1. Craigness

They know

But it doesn't matter. A quad-core ipad will be known as the first quad-core tablet and all others will be regarded as cheap Chinese copies. If they do an 8.2" ipad, it will be a magical new format - far superior to the 7" devices Jobs derided - and Xoom 2 Media Edition will be a cheap Chinese copy. "Apple is reaching more people in more ways than ever before..." with a massively biased media and blogosphere telling the world what Apple wants the world to be told. Meanwhile, they rest on their laurels and patents.

1. Tchou
        Joke

"Apple is reaching more people in more ways than ever before..."

Well, if that refer to the average for the last decade it could hardly be worse!

2. The Fuzzy Wotnot
        Happy

@Craigness

Look the bright side, people with a bit more nous will wait for the manufacturers of these "copies" to get desperate and drop the prices. Could do with a nice dual-code "Andy" tablet at half the current price they're going for!

4. All names Taken

Okay - the rumour had its effect.

I will delay purchasing an idroid wannabee iPad thingy until end of January.

And will probably purchase whatever on the spec of the items at the time (including price).

Samsung Galaxy vs Apple iPad anyone?

1. Quantum Leaper
      Facepalm

If you want for some better to come along, you will be waiting forever. You should always buy whatever you can afford now.

5. Nights_are_Long

Yea not exactly what apple would do, they have a winning formula tablet big enough to be useful without be small enough to go walkies, and they have found the idea size off the bat not as samll as a mobile not as bit or as clunky as a netbook or note book.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't know. I prefer the wide-screen 7 inch doo-dahs like the Galaxy Tab and the Archos they fit nicely into one hand. I think the iPad looks a little too big from the way I see people trying to stand up on trains using them. Sitting down they work quite well but when do you get a chance to sit down on public transport?!

6. Michael Souris
    FAIL

Free marketing

Apple insider starts rumor about product launch. Apple insider quickly denies rumor. Sources are not named.

It's deja vu.

Meh.

7. Robert E A Harvey

If high pixel counts catch on we might finally get away from laptops 790 or 900 pixels high

1. Steve Evans

We've already had them, then some idiot invented widescreen and you now need a laptop screen the size of an aircraft carrier's flight deck to get any useful vertical res.

8. Steve Evans

iYawn

Oh FFS, enough already.

9. Eddy Ito
    Meh

OMG!!!

Y?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No

and who cares anyway?

But I'll bite...

It's far too early for a new iteration of the iPad, unless it's going to be a 7" cheaper model as an answer to the Kindle Fire, but that's also very unlikely, as Apple currently don't need to compete in this area. Also it would be seen as Apple veering away from the Jobsian view and it's far to early for that.

Instead, they are going to launch the new Apple TV.

11. hurtlebum

Why sell them the processors?

"The new iPads will feature quad-core Samsung-made A6 chips"

Presumably Samsung make more money from selling Apple their chips than from selling their own Galaxy Tabs? Surely one way to deal with the lawsuits Apple are flinging at them is to refuse to supply processors for iPads? I would assume that if I can think of that, then Samsung's far more business savvy people have already dismissed it...

1. Armando 123

Contracts

They may be obligated to do so. Car companies do the same thing, with Toyota subsidiaries supplying Ford and vice versa. That helps the price with economies of scale, but as we saw in 2008/2009, when one falls the rest go with them.

1. Local Group
        Childcatcher

@Contracts

To be sure.

But then aren't Apple's lawyers the same bunch that bought the copyright 'iPad' from the Taiwanese subsidiary of the Chinese company that owned it and wasn't party to the sale?

Maybe they got it right this time? (Hasn't that story been buried?)

12. Tony Paulazzo
    Happy

Happy new year The Reg.

>It's far too early for a new iteration of the iPad<

No it's not, I predict a new model for March, you can take that rumour to the bank.

>unless it's going to be a 7" cheaper model as an answer to the Kindle Fire, but that's also very unlikely..... Also it would be seen as Apple veering away from the Jobsian view and it's far to early for that.<

The dude's dead, all bets off, I can see them introducing a smaller model, not necessarily cheaper, if the size seems popular.

I've got an ipad1, been waiting for a better any other version to come out but they either omit an sdcard, make it widescreen, or the touch component / viewing angle / price performance is off. I'm invested in enough ios apps that I'll probably upgrade to the ipad3 now.

I still can't believe how unbelievably stupid the competition has been in this arena, the playbook (sans working email), the touchpad (don't try lowering the price to find a customer friendly point, just bin the entire product line in a fire-sale).

Special shout out to Asus (transformer) who at least are obviously researching somewhat, but I don't like the widescreen aspect - I watch widescreen films on my 40in TV, I read ecomics on my tablet. It'd be nice to see both aspects catered for, maybe.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Two iPads?

Are the cracks starting to show? Steve would never allow that, "One size fits all. There will be one and it will cost and arm and a leg and you know you want it!".

1. Jazz Kilkullen

Nonsense.

It would be following the same product introduction cycle that Apple's been following for years. Introduce a new form factor (e.g., the iPod), get everyone used to the idea, then introduce a high end version (like the iPod Touch) and a low-end version (like the Shuffle-- limited capabilities, but does them very well). Keep the original version around and call it "The Classic".

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

so that would mean

Apple's going to come out with an inexpensive tablet with limited functionality (e-reader only?). I Sounds a bit Kindle. I wouldn't bet on Amazon in that race---customers won't compare them based on features, it will be all about the overall user experience.

15. Local Group
    Childcatcher

"Oh! Surprise me, Jane.

I love surprises."

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Massive screen resolution and processing power.....

..... and 30 minutes battery life.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like