back to article Apple to appeal Italian warranty fine

Apple will appeal against the fine imposed by the Italian regulator for failing to respect the legal warranty requirements, and (astonishingly) we know this because Apple told us. The fruitchomp firm reckons that despite the regulator's ruling it is complying with Italian law, and will be appealing against the decision by the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

Thanks for the reminder at the bottom. By the time I read through the sad missive I'd forgotten what it was all about.

1. Robert E A Harvey
      Unhappy

Well, yes. In fact el Reg seems to have been so taken aback that they failed to establish what grounds Apple think they have for such an appeal.

2. jai

We're all doomed!!!

This is most surely a sign of the End Times a-coming? Seems those Mayan's might have been bang on the button.

3. Chris 3

Can someone remind me...

What the original story was that broke the camel's back? I'm sure that Apple used to talk to El Reg back in the mid 90s when it launched.

1. Havin_it
      Happy

'Twas before my time, but I do recall a previous article on this subject, wherein it was speculated that El Reg's mocking of the way Jobs pronounced "Jaguar" (something like "Jag-wire") was the final insult.

If that's the case, maybe (as some have already suggested below) the rest of One Infinite Loop were just waiting until the coast was clear to have a good chortle themselves. If this is a portent of a tad more humility and less ego-driven politics down Cupertino way, then I welcome it.

4. B4PJS
    Meh

You guys probably pissed off SJ at some point, now he is gone people aren't afraid to speak to you anymore...

1. Ramazan

@pissed off SJ at some point

In Moscow or Kiev you guys most probably would be just driven off the city and buried alive for that or strangled to death and then buried, as Kuchma did with Gongadze, so you can count yourselves lucky. I hate to say it but most probably SJ didn't behave much better than Kuchma when he was _personally_ abused by your mocking of his pronunciation of "Jaguar".

5. AlexS
    Holmes

Reg Anti Apple? Give me a break.

You seem to write about 15 stories on every new Apple product launch. You are the Apple marketing dept I suggest.

1. Stoneshop
      FAIL

It is the content, not the quantity

from which the pro or anti qualifications can be derived, and since the indicator definitely points to 'anti', it is clear that you either can't be arsed to read past the headline, or are unable to grasp said contents.

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

There is no such thing as bad publicity

And Apple is probably just recognizing that. Besides, in the last year, the only thing that the Reg has brown nosed more than Apple and itoys was the fugly WP7. I haven't seen the much touted el Reg criticism in the itoy reviews for a long, long time. It was conspicuously absent now that Apple reaffirms itself as evil, appealing a low fine for a situation in which they were clearly guilty. And you guys waste such a golden chance of criticizing them for their lack of morals and absolute disrespect for European governments and laws? Sincerely, what a sad, sad article. All that drivel because some junior manning the PR at Cupertino during the holidays called you?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

A corporate lack of morals doesn't mean product reviews should suck though. Reg are fair with reviews generally, and yet freely and fairly highlight the company's failings... sometimes to unfair levels.

And no: I don't own anything Apple, nor do I admire the company for anything except slick marketing.

2. Quantum Leaper

I guess Paul Christoforo would say there is something called Bad Publicity...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Coffee/keyboard

@Quantum Leaper

Its your fault! Now I've been reading the Cristoforo emails (http://penny-arcade.com/resources/just-wow1.html) and... Well, just see the icon! All your fault! :D

3. Chad H.

@ Alex

Are you suggesting that theres some sort of Multiple personality deal going on?

Would certainly explain why they dont get a response...

4. web_bod
      Megaphone

Marketing Dept is at the BBC

Auntie loves them apples

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice bloke, never hurt anyone

>But appeals for reassurance on the matter meet the same wall of silence as questions on policy or planning.

Ah but Mr: Jobs is no longer around.

What do you think Ron?

You might be right Reg.

8. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Blimey!

I knew it was getting chilly out, but I didn't think Hell had actually frozen over

9. kevin king
    Headmaster

you said it yourself

You wrote "we're anti-just-about-everybody." well you said it yourself! How about being nice for a change and not being that cold, sniping, whining "rag" that you can be. Maybe then the other children might speak to you and let you play in their games!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't lose the irreverence! Just don't be dicks when being irreverent.

2. jai

if El Reg wasn't the way it is, then what would be the point in reading it? you can go to any tech website and read their reviews and articles that pander to the big corporations. But here, you can be sure that if a product/company/individual deserves slating and mockery, El Reg will deliver it. And if not, then the commentards will most certain step up to the plate.

1. Darryl
        Happy

Exactly, jai.

That's the reason I read El Reg. Reading some 'journalist' regurgitating some company's press releases doesn't give you much of the story. I've always been a cynical bastard, and I want to see both sides of the story, whether it's about Apple, MS, Google, HP, Dell, RIM, governments, etc. etc.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@kevin king You got what you deserved, I anonymously downvoted you! Now you can go and read tired.com and their fancy half baked infographics.

10. Billa Bong

Did Apple not read the Reg's tag line?

Of course, I only read articles about companies I already don't like and would happily apply the shoe, plus all the bootnotes which I think the reg should set itself the task of writing more of, and kick Simon into weekly bofh's while you're at it. Fridays are very dull without a new episode. Very dull indeed.

11. LarsG

WITHOUT YOUR TAKE ON APPLE,

this would just be another 'run of the mill' publication.

LONG LIVE EL REG

LONG LIVE APPLE

May they continue to provide us with more controversial things to troll about!

(Written with immense smug self-satisfaction on my issued to me new iPhone 4s)

12. Jon Press

"Not the Italian government horse"

Just as well; they communicate using the entire horse's head.

Allegedly.

1. Gannon (J.) Dick
      Pint

Apple and Italy ...

... share one horse. Who gets what; not sure

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Just to clear it up for ya

The horse's arse died last year..

2. Chad H.

Well

Belesconi wasnt exactly one for an old nag. He was kinda the young filly type...

13. Tchou
    Happy

Apple...

... just pay the bill, say that you are sorry, and give 5 more millions to children wellfare in Italy.

It's christmas, it's new year, it's PR.

1. JEDIDIAH
      Linux

Exactly...

Apple should live up to the image it has built for itself and "do the right" thing by the Italians. Throwing them an extra "bone" in terms of charity would not hurt either.

This just makes them look like "just another crass corporation". Of course that's what they really are but they should not be running around making that more obvious to people that might not have figured that out yet.

1. 404
        Boffin

Call me crazy...

...but I'm starting to think this is all about lawyers justifying their jobs and continuing hefty fees.

If you think it through, the system is geared by the lawyers, for the lawyers, to generate revenue.

I must be crazy, for I have just blown my own mind.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple coverage

There are a million websites covering Apple. If I want to read Apple PR I go there.

To be honest, the fact that Apple is appealing is hardly news and the fact that they spoke to you is probably down to the fact that the office junior is covering the PR phone during the holiday season.

Reg: stick to what you're good at (Apple bashing) and quit moaning that they don't like it (of course they don't).

15. mmm mmm

I'm with the Itialians on this one.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So why do you spell their nationality incorrectly?

1. Armando 123

He went to a Catholic school?

16. KBeee

$1.2M

$1.2M? You mean the fine was about half the legal costs of the case and the appeal?

Lawyers Huh? Don't you just love 'em

17. Robin Szemeti
    Coat

The Italian horses mouth?

Let me guess ..your hack, err, sorry, *journalist* got the information from a talking horse ... it whispered in his ear ... it was able to do this, and your journo was able to detect the horse was Italian because it's head was detached and lying in the bed next to him?

I'll get my coat, its the one with the lump of Parmesan in the pocket.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Well..

in one way its a good thing as it highlights a citizens rights under EU law regarding purchases, which I suspect a lot of people are not aware of.

Too many people purchase extended warranties which commence one year into the life of the product.

The more people are aware, the better.

19. Tony Paulazzo
    Angel

>If you think it through, the system is geared by the lawyers, for the lawyers, to generate revenue.<

Ergo: Kill all the lawyers!

Disclaimer: Not a death threat!

Oh yea, and eat the rich... (see disclaimer).

20. Spanners Silver badge
    Flame

The fine was wrong

It was a small fraction of a percent of what it should be. These people are criminals trying to restrict our rights and this is just one little way that happens to have been found out.

Unfortunately, there is what the fine should be and what lawyers will settle at...

21. geejayoh

Reminds me of...

"only by reading a breadth of The Register does our equal-opportunities approach become clear."

Reminds me of Messrs Stone and Parker, creators of South Park. They said they were "equal opportunities offenders". It doesn't matter who it was they were lampooning. Everybody was up for it.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not an Apple fan

I'm not an Apple fan but I doubt they are dumb enough to try and breach law on warranties so they may have some success with appeal.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Toshiba is doing the same

I bought a netbook and after registering it I was informed by Toshiba that my warranty will last only one year. I need to read up on Italian law to see if a foreigner can complain here and get these guys before a judge... Hopefully these thugs will be handled a larger fine on appeal, to dissuade further behaviour from them and other corporate a**holes.

1. Fuzz

Did you buy your netbook from Toshiba?

I think it is the company you purchased from who has to uphold the warranty rather than the manufacturer. In the Apple case Apple are both the manufacturer and the retailer.

1. TeeCee Gold badge

IIRC that's now enshrined in European law, along with the two years, courtesy of the British.

Again IIRC, the continentals were looking at making the standard practice that which was more common over here, where the manufacturer supports the warranty and the retailer's involvement ends with handing over their phone number.

Best description of that approach on the odd occasion I've had to deal with it was; "worse than fucking useless".

24. b166er

I was just thinking the other day, whilst browsing the Apple store for a customer, that considering an iMac is £1600, only supplying a 1 year warranty with it, is taking the fucking piss.

Tell me again what the point of buying Apple is , please?

Oh and Happy New Year!

25. multiplenews

I'm not an Apple fan but I doubt they are dumb enough to try and breach law on warranties so they may have some success with appeal.

1. Silverburn

Never under-estimate...

...the human capacity for dumbness, at an individual or collective scale. Witness the creationist movement; steadfastly sticking to the 6000 year line, even in the face of overwhelming evidence.

I'm prepared to give Apple the benefit of the doubt, and say it was a cock-up, rather than an intentional strategy to deceive. However, the fact it continued for so long reeks of "Oops, look what we're doing. We should fix this....at some point. Once somebody *important* notices" (ie not you, the mere customer).

26. Paul Bruneau

My cheese has been moved

I never thought you were particularly anti-apple (as you said, you're anti-everybody).

But after several years of getting used to read you stating how Apple doesn't talk to you, the thought that I might have to spend the next several years hearing how you're shocked that Apple did talk to you is rather depressing.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like