back to article Sony beams down wireless data transfer

Sony has unveiled its own answer to Near Field Communication: a contactless data transfer system dubbed TransferJet that carries data at speeds of up to 560Mb/s. TransferJet operates on a 4.48GHz frequency. It’s designed to allow consumers to transfer files from one gadget to another simply by touching them together, or by …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Iain

Hey hey, what a surprise...

Sony have their own proprietary answer to a new standard that no-one else will be using. I didn't see that one coming, oh no.

Why do they love to break standards so much?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

@ Iain

"Why do they love to break standards so much?"

I assume it's a rhetorical question, but I would guess it's because they know it's likely if you own a Sony camera that takes Sony memory sticks, you'll be likely to buy other Sony equipment that takes the same memory cards... Failing that, they can charge a fortune to licence it to other manufacturers.

A shame - but unfortunately for me, I quite like Sony equipment anyway, so the phone, PSP, camera, hi-fi, DVD player etc are all Sony's. Feel free to call me a chump.

3. Pete
    Boffin

@ Anonymous Coward

You Chump.

4. Senor Beavis
    Coat

@ Anon Cow

You're a chump.

I believe this is your coat...

5. Dazzer

@Iain

You're a chump.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

There has been an embargo on new Sony products in my house for a couple of years now. Two minidisc players that stopped working days after the warranty expired and the root disk fiasco saw to that.

6. Bemi Faison
    Happy

I like it

Wow. Could this mean a stack of digital component systems might function without 2 feet of bunched up cables between each of them?

If they increased the transfer distance (to say, 6 inches - so boxen could still use their heat vents), it sounds like a very worthwhile endeavor to me!

7. alan buxey
    Happy

wirelessHD

wirelessHD is the real answer to your requirement Bemi

3Gbits of data xfer speed - to increase up to 25gbit through

the next couple of years. plenty to move HD video around

whilst doign lots of other stuff.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like