back to article Stratfor attackers prep to publish emails

Someone claiming to speak – or at least post – on behalf of Antisec has published a threat on Pastebin that they are planning to release e-mails obtained in the Stratfor Global Intelligence break-in. This post, which along with some Twittter posts has further fuelled the media frenzy surrounding the attack, states that the e- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another 'innovative' banking wheeze

“Folks pls don’t donate with stolen CC, we get hit $35 per fraud transaction”.

How clever! Someone tries to pass a transaction with a stolen card through your system, why bother trying to pursue the perpetrator when you can claw your costs (plus a bit of easy profit) out of an organisation who played no part in it, except arguably to be the victim.

The robber barons of yesteryear have nothing on these shits.

1. Jaymax

At this point ...

... i'd quite happily see GoogleWallet or whatever* become a strong player in the finance markets - anything that gives Mastercard and Visa the kicking they deserve.

*ideally, I want a Bitcoin eftpos card that's accepted at Hell Pizza

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

ORLY?

“Folks pls don’t donate with stolen CC, we get hit $35 per fraud transaction”.

I'd like to see that substantiated. Sounds like a good way to to cause some grief for the finance companies to me...

Charity: we lost $'000s in 'fraud fees'

Credit card company: "not our fault they signed up to our terms"

1. Gerhard Mack
        FAIL

It's true

After working in the online CC industry I can tell you the banks never pass up the opportunity to add a fee and it doesn't help that they view it as the merchant's fault if they get used for a fraudulent transaction and yes, people have been put out of business this way.

So far the outcry has only resulted in the credit card companies issuing a statement that there is nothing that forces the banks to add chargeback fees to their contracts but in practice I don't know of any banks that don't have a clause for chargeback fees.

3. SomeoneElse

So don't make the donations to a charity, make them to the Republican party

1. Figgus
        Trollface

@Someone Else

I'd suggest making them to the Democratic party, but most of their money is already stolen from people in the form of union dues...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Figgus

"Big business still filling state GOP coffers" says a recent US headline. Is that money not 'stolen' from customers and or shareholders?

Just askin.

1. Figgus

You don't HAVE to invest in a company or buy stock in it.

In many states, you DO HAVE to join a union and pay dues to it, even if you don't want to.

Grok the distinction?

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Worth mentioning...

It's worth mentioning that merchants also have insurance to cover their card operations. This includes insurance against malicious chargebacks.

Either way, using someone else's card without their permission is fraud, it's not right and indefensible, whatever you may think of them, their political beliefs or companies they deal with.

This topic is closed for new posts.