back to article Facebook suggests you get out more - and it'll tell you how

In another move by Facebook to predict user behaviour, the human herding site has introduced Suggested Events: a feature that will offer bright ideas for what you should do on Friday night. Zuckerberg knows how your little mind works. Suggested Events will replace Friends' Events in the lefthand column of the Facebook home …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Elmer Phud

freaky Facebook?

"Critics see it as one more freaky Facebook mind game that reveals just how much the site knows about you and your life."

Most Facebook users will just ignore it like the bulk of the 'extras' that appear and disappear.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

CITIZEN

Move your person to municipal cell block D for a party tonight.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Recommendations influenced by Advertisers?

will their suggestions lead you to places that their Advertisers, sorry sponsors want?

If I went last year to Greenland* and the year before to Kergulen* and it suggested Miami or some 'All Inclusive' resort somewhere I would not be very happy.

Curmudgeon? Me? Yep.

* I did go to both of these places with the past 5 years.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Influenced by Advertisers?

You have to ask? Why yes, of course. They're turning your "lookit, I wus here!"-posts into excuses to have advertisers pay them for "targeted" (and thus more valuable) advertising. Which it of course spins as a service to you, though in reality you are the product.

Like the tagging of photographs; that gets them more info about who you mingle with. This is useful for things like, oh, pitch certain things it thinks you might like, around your birthday. Not pitched to you, but to your present-buying buddies.

Maybe they'll stretch up that picture recognition thing to discern brands and from there "give competitors an unique opportunity" to have a go at it. For a price, of course. Again, you are the product sold to their advertisers. Facebook is busily out-googling google in the up close and personal advertising market, in fact.

One interesting thing our gumshoe vultures at el reg could try and ferret out is just how much, if any, the big advertisers and "social" shops are in bed with each other. For exactly this sort of mined data.

4. Silverburn
    Unhappy

Based on Check ins

oh great...so my suggestions will be:

Work, work, airport, work, some bus-stop in the arse-end of nowhere, work, Tesco's, home, work, work.

Facebook will have a hard time fitting suitable ads into that social calendar, I'm sure.

1. jai

you check-in at all those places?

so someone only needs to watch your facebook page to know when the best time is to pop round your house and steal your telly?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

suggested event

I wonder how responsible social networking is for a mob of morons meeting up at a shoe shop resulting in chaos and death.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Social networking is not responsible for any crime - it merely speeds up the communication between the criminals. In the old days they'd have sent a runner round to gather them together.

Need to treat the real causes, not the comms.

6. Cunningly Linguistic
    Gimp

I bet it won't know about my swinging weekends much less advertise them :)

1. jai

but how frightening will it be if it does??

1. Darryl
        Big Brother

And if they mash in some photo recognition stuff and automatically post the pics of you there

7. Wile E. Veteran
    Devil

So glad I don't have a Farcebook account!

I am sure glad I dropped even my pseudonymous account. Who needs this crap, anyway? Just one more bit of evidence the megacorps think they own us outright from birth (Disney baby clothes) to death (Men's Warehouse Suits)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Human herding site! Brilliant!

This surely deserves standing ovations.

1. Scorchio!!
      Happy

Re: Human herding site! Brilliant!

Shorely shome mishtake; 'flocking', as in Baaaaaaah, baaaaaaah, baaaaaaaah.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is going to be fun...

I already play with the ad recommendations through careful clicking and status updates. Now I can really have fun! (Sadly it also means that in future reference checking I will be unemployable)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like