back to article Whisper open-sources Android text-encryption app

Whisper Systems has open-sourced TextSecure, its secure text messaging client for Android smartphones. The move follows the acquisition of Whisper by Twitter last month and comes 18 months after TextSecure was first released. "We hope that as an open-source project, TextSecure will be able to reach even more people, with an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

It works

Just tried it - nice to have.

2. dssf

A surprise? I'm not surprised...

I'm not surprised, given that (from my limited knowledge of Twitter/its technology) that if it wants its users/subscribers to use the service and feel comfortable/relatively safe, it has to provide them a margin of safety/privacy/anonymity as commensurate to the types of posts or followings that may warrant it.

3. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

RIM stuffed

Want secure messaging - you have to buy Blackberry and hope that RIM aren't crooks.

Or you can buy any phone you want and install software that you (or your consultants) can check the source of.

Not hard to see why Twitter might want it

4. Colin_L
    Devil

this could be a rather big deal in oppressive regimes...

who like to spy on citizens, such as Syria, China, Russia, or the United States.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Colin_L

Its a shame I can only give you one thumbs up!

Well said (but I would include the UK on the list).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And India

5. Drew V.
    Childcatcher

If we are on the dual subject of Google and Moxie: I wish Moxie would spend a bit of time updating the Googlesharing Firefox add-on.

It's an extension that redirects Google services through proxy servers, in order to put the kibosh on the Chocolate Factory's snooping. It's brilliant, but MM hasn't updated since Mozilla began rapid-firing its updates.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like