back to article Systemax saves CompUSA from knacker's yard

Systemax is buying the CompUSA brand name, its ecommerce operations and up to 16 stores in the great CompUSA close-out sale. The big US computer reseller hails CompUSA as a "strong complementary" business to its own retail TigerDirect brand and is paying up to $30m for its new baby, depending on how many stores it actually buys …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alan Donaly
    Stop

This sounds like a bad idea

Let them die the reason they are going is they are failing businesses build your own brand don't take on other companies old baggage. Oh well Systemax can only lose money. Retailers all over the US are dumping stores as fast as they can buying these crusty old things makes no sense.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Alan Donaly

"Retailers all over the US are dumping stores as fast as they can"

... except for Best Buy, strangely. There are at least three new Best Buy stores going up around the Portland metro area right now, so they at least think there is more money to be made in retail in Oregon.

3. tony trolle

arrrrr

Is misco still as expensive as I remember, tigerdirect is pretty cool on prices.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Systemax name

They dumped the Systemax name in Europe in favour of Misco, but then the US operation seemed to function better than in Europe.

5. joe

not all retail stores in trouble

Fry's seems to be doing pretty well for themselves too, and they may be the only retail chain in existence where the customer service is _worse_ than CompUSA.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

www.misco.co.uk

The prices are good and the service. The support staff are skilled but underpaid... hint hint....

7. Joseph Zygnerski
    Thumb Up

Maybe not a bad idea

The CompUSA name has recognition. If run well, people will forget that it went under once before. And Systemax already has their own stores and brand name to go to. If all else fails, they can change the names on the physical stores.

8. Mike Moyle
    Coat

[snark]

"He also wants to hire experienced CompUSA employees..."

Good luck to him; I never found any there, myself...

[/snark]

9. Morely Dotes

@ Duncan Ellis

"There are at least three new Best Buy stores going up around the Portland metro area right now, so they at least think there is more money to be made in retail in Oregon."

That's because people around here don't have prior experience with Best Buy. I do; I moved to PDX from Houston about 13 years ago, and if the only two places to shop were Best Buy and Fry's, I'd go to Fry's. I hate Fry's.

Fortunately, there are online shops (TigerDirect.com is a good one to avoid like the plauge, for example).

This topic is closed for new posts.