back to article Apple's Galaxy Tab ban was best advertising ever - Samsung

Ah, sweet revenge! After winning its court battle to lift the ban on the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Australia, Samsung is making the most of the fondleslab injunction saga. Samsung Australia's vice-president of telecommunications, Tyler McGee, told the Sydney Morning Herald that the case has turned the tablet into a household name in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

I've just had a quick look at a few sites covering the ad.

The fanboys are really butt-hurt over this.

Some of the comments are so bitter you'd swear they'd caught the Galaxy having sex with their wives.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I love the squeal of fanboys in the morning."

"Sounds like.... victory"

2. Grease Monkey Silver badge

What wives?

2. b166er

Look out Apple, the worm has turned!

3. Mage Silver badge

I always think it sounds like a sugar free version of a "Douglas Adams" cocktail.

1. Tom Maddox Silver badge
      Coat

No, no -- you're thinking of the "Samsung Galactic Gargle Tabster."

I'm going, I'm going . . .

4. Darryl

I was wondering about that

Seems all the coverage of the Apple vs Samsung wars has increased the awareness of Samsung's products all over, not just in Australia and Germany. I sort of thought that it would help Samsung in the long run.

Sort of a combination of telling someone, "Whatever you do, don't think of elephants." and banning a teenager from seeing a movie or playing a game.

1. Lord Lien
      Facepalm

@ Darryl, Look up Streisand effect.....

Bit of an own goal by Apple. Bet a few heads roll some where.

2. ThomH

Similar to the Streisand effect?

In that an attempt to suppress something ends up amplifying its ability to do damage. I continue to be unsure quite what Apple thought would be the likely outcomes of its actions.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Justice

that is all.

6. craigj
    WTF?

What?

"made the Galaxy Tab 10.1 a household name compared to probably what it would've been based on the investment that we would've put into it "

It either is a household name or it isn't - It can't be a household name in comparison to probably what it would have been.

1. Cpt Blue Bear

Your dealing with someone who works in corporate communications.. You can't expect him to express himself in a clear, concise and logical manner.

1. 100113.1537
        Thumb Up

You're also dealing with an Aussie..

... which in my experience seems to someone quite happily prepared to torture the english language to within an inch of its life!

Must be something they do to get their own back for something or other (insert appropriate shoulder-chip).

2. Figgus

In my household, it was already a household name. In my parent's household, not so much... until now. My tech illiterate friends think a Galaxy tab is a kind of aspirin.

See? You can have varying degrees of awareness among households, instead of just black and white. This lawsuit simply increased the number of households that don't call all tablets iPads.

3. Ted Treen
      Trollface

Come on, Craig...

That's a quote from a PR munchkin. How do you expect it to have any meaning?

7. Someone Else Silver badge
    Coat

Yet another reason why "marketing genius" is an oxymoron.

8. g e
    Thumb Up

Not that I'm one to day Told You So but...

HEY APPLE... TOLD YOU SO.

So, I guess, for technology, the Streisand Effect has a counterpart...

The iEffect.

1. C 2
      Joke

RE: TOLD YOU SO.

Shouldn't that be "iTOLD you so" ?

9. BanjoPaterson
    Thumb Up

Reminds me of the Mrs Marsh Ads for Toothpaste

She was the lady who put the chalk into the ink bottle to show how not brushing your teeth was bad. Turns out her ads helped sell the toothpaste despite a survey showing a large percentage of Australians actually hating the ad and disliking the character of Mrs Marsh. Fact is, brand recognition is all and Apple have given Samsung free advertising.

10. Uwe Dippel
    FAIL

My observation

As regular lurker-around in the major IT-mall in Malaysia (no ads here!) I did watch a strikingly large number of Caucasian tourists rushing in grabbing explicitly a Galaxy Tab at the height of Apple's temporary success at preventing the sale in the home countries of these people. Back then I also mentioned casually to my partner that visibly these good people took the opportunity to lay their greedy fingers onto a piece of hardware, if for nothing else, then to impress the people back home. I myself was tempted to buy one, just for 'punishing' Apple. But then, it turned out I just wasn't childish enough.

Apple, you failed this one.

11. Andy Bloice
    Gimp

Even fanbois love the outcome...

If you check the twitter link posted in the story, and look under the picture:

"10 Dec via Twitter for iPhone "

Nothing more to add!!

12. Ramazan
    Pint

on matters like that

where I just don't fsking care I prefer to delegate the decision making to specially trained people, like these Australian judges.

1. Grease Monkey Silver badge

So Australian judges are specially trained in the technological issues raised by the case are they?

Thought not.

13. Joe M. Amma
    Paris Hilton

And then they blew it all

with "it's time to tab"

paris, cuz, she blows

14. Steve 149
    WTF?

Brand loyalty

I just don't get it, what's the point? Most companys would/do screw you given the chance, you're a source of income and maybe word of mouth advertising, no more no less. They're a supplier so you buy the product that suits you in your price range. I've always been this way with possessions because that is all they are.

15. Rex Alfie Lee
    Trollface

Apple's just desserts...

It couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch of nazis than Apple & it's a shame Stevie didn't take Apple with him...

16. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

Hey apple fanbois

Stop your moaning.

17. TeeCee Gold badge

Lost Sales.

"...resulting in a loss to sales that McGee refused to put a number to."

I'm not surprised. Whatever it was it's going to be peanuts compared to the honking increase in sales now, courtesy of all the free hype from Apple.

18. ForthIsNotDead

Bye Bye Apple...

We were having a discussion here in the office about Apple and his Jobsiness after the BBC documentary that aired the other night. We all principally agreed that:

* Apple's success as a brand was entirely down to Jobs. I'm no Jobs fan (don't hate him either) but he really was a visionary

* People were/are in love with Apple because of Jobs. It was Jobs that was the face and personality of Apple

* Now that he's gone (RIP) Apple are set to hit a downward trend. It's only going to go down from here. The Apple ship has lost it's captain.

It's a shame. But that's the conclusion we all reached.

I'm not an Apple fanboi, and own no Apple products, but I wish the man peace, wherever he is.

1. Jedit Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Correct on all points except one

It's not a shame.

19. CheesyTheClown
    FAIL

I don't get it...

I mean, I just received my Samsung Series 7 Slate yesterday and love it... Awesome Windows 8 machine. Been watching developer training videos on it all night and it's pretty cool to be able to flip windows and start coding from a tablet. Much nicer than my iPad.

But... Galaxy Tab is... yuck... ewww... keep it away. What the hell would a person want such a nasty device for? It's like a "I wish I had an iPad, but I got a Galaxy Tab through my telephone provider for $99 a month for 6 years instead".

I'm sure someday Android will suck less. I've tried it so many times to so much disappointment. But it's just not a nice experience. It actually feels like an iPhone's cheap cousin.

Windows 8 will be much nicer than Android (as I can tell you from personal experience on both platforms)... I'm even pretty convinced that it'll be better than iOS, but that's only because I'm a programmer and I hate not being able to program on a $800 computer... or having stupid 20megabyte download caps.

If you get a chance to try Windows 8 on a tablet... you will probably love it.

Good thing is... there's almost certainly going to be a grass roots thing where someone figures out a way to get Windows 8 ARM up and running on the Galaxy Tab.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

@ The Clown

You are comparing a full-blown desktop OS to an OS designed for use on mobile phones?

2. Zippy the Pinhead

Cheesy.. I believe your icon is wrong... I think you wanted to Joke Alert or the Troll icon.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"PR for product just great" says man responsible for PR of product

...while assuming brand recognition equals sales.

In related news, "Tech Website Regurgitates Press Release"

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I suspect the press rather than Apple

is reponsible for increasing the public awareness of the Galaxy Tab. Apple sued Samsung, and IMHO it was a reasonable suit. Suits are filed every day and no one gives a FF except the implicated parties.

However, in this case the press, especially the technical/nerd press, leaped on the chance to bash Apple, because that part of the press WANTS the galaxy (and Android) to succeed to feed their freetard view of how the world should be.

Blame (or praise depending on your position) the "press"

I agree with CheesyTheClow, Android sucks in its present and all previous incarnations. It will doubtedly improve but it does have some way to go yet.

Dweeb

1. turnip handler

I think the press mainly look for any story involving Apple and print it.

Sometimes they might be pro or against the article, but if you post a bland Apple storty to the web you can usually just leave the Apple fans and haters to do that for you.

22. Keep Refrigerated
    Happy

No need to thank me Samsung...

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/post/1202199

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like