back to article Lloyds TSB online banking, ATMs titsup in server crash

Lloyds TSB's online banking and cash machines went down this morning due to network server cutting out, the Register has been told. "The whole network server stopped running between 9 and 10.30am" a branch worker told us. Reports from readers and a test in the office showed that though the Lloyds website has been up and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

omg

The whole server was down!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Duh

"The whole network server stopped running between 9 and 10.30am"

OMFG!!! Not just part of the "network server", but all of it!

The sky is falling in, and the world is going to end.....or not, maybe

3. Wam

@kassy4

Easy there - take a chill pill - life goes on!

1. Rob
      Stop

Indeed...

... god forbid kassy4 would have had to go into the Branch and request cash over the counter.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Obviously

they forgot to pay their programmer in Bangalore this week.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I had no problems with Online Banking last night...

... So chances are the bank spokesperson is right regarding the outage.

And looking at the Twitter outrage, 90 minutes is less than the HSBC or Barclays glitches, so it's not the end of the world.

6. Portent

Maybe the network server was off with stress like their boss?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Better hurry up and pay him

So this programmer can get paid by his boss.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BOFH may be involved

I think its a scheme between the programmer in Bangalore and the BOFH to get the tax payer to buy some shiny new toys for Christmas.

9. Kevin Gurney
    Thumb Down

To Be Fair......

Their online banking system is rubbish and the only thing thats worse is their mobile banking "apps" which are a shortcut to the online banking website which work about 10% of the time.

1. Tim Hale 1
      FAIL

Appalling

Their whole online banking site is appealing. I rarely get through a transaction without a 'sorry, we've logged you out for some reason' error. My record was ten times before I gave up and phoned them. Only to find the phone banking numbers had changed and they hadn't told me.

If I ran my systems like they run theirs, my boss would lynch me, and rightly so. They should be ashamed of themselves to call that a production system.

1. Adrian Bool
        Happy

To balance; OK for me

In contrast to your experience, I've always found LloydsTSB's online interface to be reasonably easy to use, quick and reliable. Perhaps something about your browser could be causing your issues? Safari on OSX Lion here.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seriously?

"The whole network server stopped running between 9 and 10.30am"

Why bother reporting something that you know makes no sense. I appreciate that branch staff don't need to know that much about computing, but you are writing this article for a supposedly IT literate crowd.

Or, is it an attempt to see who can get the most advertising revenue form commentards? If this is the case, can I suggest the following topics: Climate Change, Windows Phone, Religion.

11. Captain Scarlet Silver badge
    Megaphone

New way to make money

Stop people taking it out!

Much like the old till dial up based systems where this time of the year was a nightmare with people thumping modems shouting COME ON CONNECT!

12. KJB
    IT Angle

Seriously?

The "network server" was down?

/me facepalm

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sorry!

I'm terribly sorry that I had to tear down the "network server" during business hours in the christmas shopping period. My boss wouldn't listen when I told him that we need at least two of these "network server" devices.

Sincerely, BofH

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It was only this morning.

I used both the business and personal sites last night around midnight without a problem but they were both out when I checked at about 0930 The service not available messages came up after going through the secutity routines on both systems.

I was able to log into my business account at about 1015 but couldn't get into my personal accounts until after 1030.

I would take issue with the poster above who said Lloyds' system was rubbish.

In the couple of years I've been uisng it (almost daily), this is the first time I've had an issue that I hadn't been warned about a few days earlier - and overall it works better than any other online banking I've tried.

15. g1nganinja
    Thumb Down

Not the first time

This is just the latest - albeit the biggest and publicised - in a series of outages of the Lloyds web site, they have also been kind enough of late to cancel direct debits, pay some twice etc etc etc.....

What irks me the most is that despite it beinbg their fault, they never offer any form of monetary return to apologise, yet they are more than happy to charge us their customers, for any mistakes or oversights we make on our accounts......

Is this a case for the ombudsman?

1. Ragarath
      Thumb Up

This is the reason I went through the (supposedly easy nowadays) horrible process of moving banks.

Lloyds lost my personal and my business account because their policies are horrible and any tiny mistake you make they charge you for.

I had previously been a customer of theirs for 15 years.

Even after I had supposedly closed my accounts they kept charging me for things. Guess how much of that money they got?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like