back to article Sony: PS3 sales ahead of target

Sony will sell 15m PlayStation 3 consoles by the end of March 2012, the consumer electronics giant has insisted. That was the target the company set itself for its current financial year, which ends next spring, and it'll be met, said Sony Computer Entertainment chief Andrew House this week. House claimed that PS3 sales were …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. YP
    Happy

Oh well looks like all the reg commentards who are boycotting Sony because of the removal of Other OS have really affected sales.

1. King Jack

Boycotting means you will not buy MORE Sony kit. So no, existing owners will not affect PS3 sales. It's new idiots who are buying from this crap company. They will learn when they get shafted, it's the Sony way.

2. Frumious Bandersnatch

or maybe the reverse is true

I've just (in the last two days) updated one of my ps3s to firmware 3.55 from 2 point something and have managed to retain (rebuild) my OtherOS capability thanks to custom firmware signed with Sony's "private" package-signing keys. Now that I know that I can continue to use it/get back into using it for development I might actually be tempted to buy another one (even a lower-wattage slim model that never had OtherOS to begin with). Don't discount the power of pragmatism over principles.

2. Jedit Silver badge
    Facepalm

15m PS3s to be sold in 2102?

I think they're hoping a bit too much for longevity there...

1. PaulR79

Read the article again

It said 15m sold by the end of MARCH 2012, not 2012.

1. Jedit Silver badge
        Stop

Someone's a bit slow today...

In reading the articles, at least. A typo in the subtitle has been fixed; originally it referred to financial year 2102.

3. Fab
    Meh

PS Vita rowboat

Hopefully PS Vita will fair better than the rowboat Sony sponsored.....

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This makes me sad

This makes me sad, because it does show that Sony's attitude of "Yes, we are going to screw you - and you will roll over and take it." is correct. People complain about big business all the time, and yet, when push comes to shove, like an abused spouse, they crawl back to the big business, to be beaten again.

1. thesykes
      Thumb Down

I have a PS3... yes, I admit it!

In the time I have owned it Sony have added BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4 On Demand. I can stream videos, download content for games, play online games. It's also been upgraded to play 3D content.

All of those things cost me nothing, not one penny.

And in that time they removed other OS. An option I neither wanted nor cared about. I'd say, as they are set to sell 15m PS3's this year, it is an option most PS3 owners don't care about.

So... can you tell me how exactly I have been screwed by Sony?

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Who got screwed?

Not me, I have had 5 years of unbelievably great gaming, Blu-Ray, 3D, loads of IPTV features, many added since new, all free.

The only people telling you that you got screwed, as the ones that benefit from you thinking that (Microsoft usually).

This whole gaming generation has been about Microsoft using every tactic possible to try and get a foothold and make gamers think that the PS3 isn't as great as the PS2 was.

The reality is, the formula that made the PS2 so fantastic was applied to the PS3, and the only losers are the gamers that can't see that or refuse to believe it, and actively go out of their way to play on inferior systems and pay to play online on laggy P2P networks.

Of course Microsoft have recently refocused their viral marketing target, as the Xbox now has a foothold, but the EXACT same tricks are being used to try and get Windows Phone 7 a foothold on which to build. Take a look at the "badmouth Android on twitter and win a Windows Phone" bribery to see how publicly desperate and low Microsoft are.

1. Dave's Jubblies
        WTF?

Barry, you refer to MS's viral marketing, and yet, the only one to bring up MS in this thread, is you...

Work it out...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

15m PS3's sold to play games on... imagine if they'd still got the option to install another OS, they could've aimed for 15,000,005

6. Miek

I wonder ow many consoles they sell will be existing PS3 customers that have a buggered Blu-Ray drive ? I personally have to dismantle my PS3 every two months to clean the Blu-Ray lens.

7. Joseph Lord
    Headmaster

End of March 2012 will be end of Sony's FY11

Not FY12!

8. NewOld86
    Black Helicopters

it's getting boring reading comments about Sony removing the "Other OS" feature by some of the people posting on here. Get over it!

Im no fan boy, I dont feel like I've been screwed over at all - great games, decent hardware, a free online service. Overal,l a well supported system, just like Sonys previous consoles.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like