back to article Web scam-busting trio thwarted by mystery DDoS rocket

A bunch of anti-scam sites was knocked offline last week by fierce and apparently well-organised distributed denial of service attacks. The sites - 419eater.com, scamwarners.com and aa419.org (Artists Against 419) - were swamped with junk traffic for several days. During the attack the sites' administrators turned to blogs, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. hi_robb
    Alert

New title for the scammers

The lads from LAG OS.

Dave

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There's a bit more info in Eater's Hints and Tips forum, but you'll need to sign up to see it. It's a perfect illustration of the fact that lads don't understand what drives us. The DDOS attack was a spectacular own goal.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wouldn't say that the sites were thwarted. During the DDOS attacks members of the sites were busy in the background killing fake sites and warning victims.

4. Joe User
    FAIL

"The scammer then sent an email to me, threatening both ScamWarners and 419Eater. We were told to cease exposing their information and reporting their Amazon sites or we would both be eradicated from cyberspace."

Petulant little wanker, isn't he?

What's next? "If you don't stop exposing my scams, I'll drop to the ground, kick my feet, and hold my breath until I turn blue!"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

To which I say…

Please do, we can do with one less scammer.

Hmmm, I wonder what would happen if we _all_ mirrored such sites? Much like people mirroring Wikileaks.

5. Someone Else Silver badge
    Alert

Eradicated from Cyberspace?!?

I thought that was impossible...if it is possible, then we need to know the details, for it will save the careers (and possibly the rears) of a whole generation of Facbookies who can't seem to resist posting pictures of their genitalia or underage drinking.

6. Jean Tanner

Keep on fighting

I had no idea scammers took baiting quite so seriously. A dear friend of mine committed suicide due to a romance scammer. Scammers feed on the insecure and the vulnerable, so keep fighting, scambaiters!

7. Riscyrich
    Facepalm

This 'lad'....

.... must have had to splash out a fair few $$ to buy a nice bot net like that. Hope it was worth it.

Silly really because just like his sites/scams pop back up with vigour when they get taken down so web servers for the army of Scambaiters out there. DDoS is almost getting a childish feel to it these days, perhaps akin to throwing handfuls of small pebbles at someone till they surrender. They still stand up and dust themselves off when you have run out of pebbles. I do of course appreciate that DDoS is a massive threat to big internet based business, that kinda goes without saying.

And I don't pretend to know how botnets are taken down but I imagine the more they are used the more the people combating them can learn about their C&C ? ? ?

8. Swedish Chef
    Pint

Stupid, stupid scammer

DDoS'ing *three* websites chock-full of people whose favourite pastime is taking out scammers? That's a bit like getting stung by a hornet and kicking the nest in revenge. It may have seemed like a smart idea at the time, but I'd be surprised if that guy could open any new fake Amazon website in the foreseeable future without half a dozen experienced site killers falling over each other to shut it down the moment it's online.

Have a pint or two on me, baiters and warners. You volunteer your time and money for a very noble cause.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AFAIK

some were killed the same day he registered them, before any content was on them

good invest of $$ by a none too bright scammer I'd say

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like