back to article Churlish gadget cusses those who use it

Cult comic collective Modern Toss is holding an exhibition this week, showcasing its 2011 catalogue of work, which includes the outfit's mannerless machine, the Interactive Periodic Table of Swearing. Interactive Periodic Table of Swearing The smutty surface, which raised eyebrows when it debuted earlier this year, does …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Flugal

Hot cancer

That is all.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Prior Art

http://www.rathergood.com/buffy

he also did the swearotron, but I can't seem to find a link

1. Full Mental Jacket
      Happy

it's on rathergood

Here you go - http://www.rathergood.com/swearotron.html

Also as old as the digital hills

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

Top Man

Cheers for that

3. Gerhard den Hollander
    Thumb Up

need one

need one .. and then play it like a grand piano ... captain nemo style (including opera cloak)

4. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Reg Hardware Award Candidate?

See title

5. Luna Tick
    Meh

Meh, whatever. It could well be the flat, synthetic voice but I did not find it amusing, interesting, funny or otherwise. Now, if the phrases -- many of which are local to particular countries/areas/etc -- were properly "announced" in native, colorful fashion you'd have my interest.

"The Word Fuck" is funny and a total classic not because of what it says but because of who says it and how. This one: maybe good for a prepubescent giggle.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Clarification

I would like to make it perfectly clear that the swearotron is not a relation of mine

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aren't artists supposed to *create* stuff?

Not just rehash some tired old idea that's been around since the era of AOL and Netscape. This isn't "Modern" toss, it's decade-old tired stale reheated unimaginative toss.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: rehashing some tired old idea

Perhaps it is the same use of the word "modern" that we find in "modern art". It expands roughly to "This probably *has* been done before, but it is either derivative or simply not very good and in the past it would have been overshadowed by the works of someone with genuine talent".

1. P. Lee
        Paris Hilton

or perhaps it mirrors "modern art"

in that it appears to be the work of a 5 year old, or Paris.

8. Craig 12

You can download the android app here: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.thisisdare.moderntoss&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS50aGlzaXNkYXJlLm1vZGVybnRvc3MiXQ..

Not allowed in iphone appstore :(

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Bought it, you motherf*cking c*nt.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thanks, El Reg!

I learned some new and very useful phrases today.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wow, a new low in boredom

This is neither funny nor art IMHO. Your average 6 year old may not achieve the same professional finish by using buttons, but from a concept it does' really get much beyond that age. Just slapping "periodic table" on something boring isn't improving it.

But then again, nobody pays me for my unmade bed. Probably because it's not such a disgusting mess as certain *cough* "artists" can make of it..

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

is that Chris Morris providing the vocals?

12. mr-tom
    Meh

Voice should have been Emma Clarke

Would have been much better with Emma Clarke instead of Mr Generic. Emma was the voice behind all the London Underground announcements before being sacked by them after a newspaper misquoted her (they said that she found travelling on the underground unpleasant at rush hour, heaven forbid!)

13. illiad

Craig 12..

Android Modern toss.. (use the search, it's easier... )

reviews on site..

" Just a bit of a problem firing the swears from the full table. Doesn't seem to activate unless you hit on the words."

" Pretty buggy. Even the link to the feedback page doesn't work, hence my leaving this here..."

IF it was free, ad supported. I would try it... but not worth the pennies, when I will dump it when I get bored with it... :(

14. Efros

Missing

The ultimate word, seems they don't want to go to Scunthorpe. The app says $96 to buy, Wtf!

This topic is closed for new posts.